Electric cyclist down in Bristol..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EthelF

Rain God
Hmm. Thats a good point actually.

Maybe car drivers are more likely to underestimate the speed of a larger bike when its being ridden by an older, larger rider (No offence Locker), compared to a cyclist on a road bike in full lycra kit?

I have read a number of articles in the German press about this subject in relation to electric bikes (which are becoming quite common in Germany now). The number of collisions between motor vehicles & pedelecs is soaring. One theory is that drivers are misjudging the speed of the approaching bike because they equate old man/woman on bike, or rider on sit-up-and-beg ("Hollandrad"), with slow speed, and pull out/left hook/whatever into their path.
Of course another contributing factor may be pedelec rider misjudging their own speed.

Linford

Strictly speaking, A pedelec in the true sens of the word is a motorcycle (as it has an electric motor and a lot of them can just whiz along without any need to pedal at all), so perhaps pedelec riders should be 'E-Motorcyclists' ?

Edwards80

Über Member
All this strikes me as an odd argument, akin to saying it's more excusable to cut up a morris minor than a Ferrari because you don't expect one to be going as quickly.

At the point that the woman in the vid turns left, she should have looked and seen he was there regardless of how fast he was going/how fast he looked like he was going and waited.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
All this strikes me as an odd argument, akin to saying it's more excusable to cut up a morris minor than a Ferrari because you don't expect one to be going as quickly.

At the point that the woman in the vid turns left, she should have looked and seen he was there regardless of how fast he was going/how fast he looked like he was going and waited.

Absolutely, not just the turning left, but the first instance, where she turns right and doesn't give way. Two not-giving-ways within seconds...

The argument that cars don't realise how fast bikes are going has been around for donkeys years and doesn't impress me much as an excuse from either side. I expect every car I see at a junction in front of me to pull out, it's called anticipation and self preservation. We shouldn't have to do it but that's life. Personally I wouldn't be riding at over 20mph in an urban area at that time of day past junctions and with a zebra crossing in front of me.

Bman

Guru
The argument that cars don't realise how fast bikes are going has been around for donkeys years and doesn't impress me much as an excuse from either side. I expect every car I see at a junction in front of me to pull out, it's called anticipation and self preservation. We shouldn't have to do it but that's life. Personally I wouldn't be riding at over 20mph in an urban area at that time of day past junctions and with a zebra crossing in front of me.

Depending on the situation I would. In the video in question, I probably would too. There is loads of room in his lane, even though there are parked cars. He's not in the door zone and is probably keeping the same speed as traffic around him. There were hatchings between lanes leading up to a right turn lane. Plenty of time to slow on the approach to the pelican crossing.

That said, I dont know the area and I wanst there at the time, so I couldnt say for sure.

I don't have to dice with traffic any more on a day to day basis so that probably makes me a tad more cautious, but it does seem to be the same people that have "incidents" with other vehicles, either that or the vast majority on here are keeping quiet.

locker

Finally had a chance to watch this video with the sound on. At first I'd watched it with the sound off, and I was shocked at the number of people blaming the cyclist.

I've now watched it with the sound on, and I'm still shocked. Blaming the cyclist here is horrific - it is perhaps due to his history on this forum rather than anything else? I have no previous knowledge of Taypet, and as such watch this video as a one off. I'm going to say this as no one else has yet... I'm not an idiot cyclist, and I think I'd have got hit here too.

The driver pulls out at speed, suggesting she's seen the cyclist. This suggests a speedy pull out and burn away into the distance. Had she done this, yes, it would have been aggressive 'must beat the cyclist' driving, but she would have made it with no collision. It's the instant left hook that would have caught me out, as it did Taypet.

Watching a video on your sofa at home with plenty of time to analyse what happened is very different from being here and reacting in the seconds available. I think in all honesty I'd have been hit too.

It's fair enough and correct to point out that in hindsight it would have been possible to react differently and maybe avoid the collision. It wrong to get up on your high horse (or as we say at my nick in these situations your 'hindsight donkey'!) and explain how you would have definitely avoided the collision which means it shouldn't have happened.

If anyone is interested I was asked by the Police to drop the video into the Police station as the driver had reported the accident & was wanting to make a claim against me for damages to the car & of course she did not have my details & the officer dealing with this seemed matter fact & was doing his job.
I was able to drop a copy of the video into the not so local police station that was seemed to be the only one in Bristol that is open after 5pm as this officer would be on duty.
On arrival at the Police station I found that he was not available & left the video for him, I thought then I may hear back next week some time.
Two hours later I received a phone call on my mobile from this officer who started the conversation with these words " I viewed the video & had my boss view it, we have 3 counts of due care & 1 count of leaving the scene & we can do the following:
1. give a verbal caution
2. send her on a driving re-fresher course, which will cost her about £120
3. take her to court if you are willing to pursue this
not putting words into your mouth but I suggest the third option as I have not seen such bad driving for a long time "
I went for the third option & he then said he would contact her to make a statement under caution.
He then wanted to know where I got the camera from, what is was & how good it was to be able to have evidence like this.
I thanked him & he said he would be in touch during the next week.
15 minutes later the phone rang again & I heard this nice speaking policeman talking in a more aggressive voice saying " I have just spoken to Mrs. X & told her what was going to happen & now we may go for DANGEROUS DRIVING as I have never been spoken to like she did to me before, she is oblivious to what she has done, I am sorry to have to ring you again but if I can I will see you tomorrow at your shop for a statement"
All I can say is never piss off a copper that is holding a loaded video.

potsy

Rambler
Damages to the car!! :ohmy:
Hope she gets the book thrown at her, well done to the Policeman in question, is there any damage to you or the bike?

snorri

Legendary Member
Strictly speaking, A pedelec in the true sens of the word is a motorcycle (as it has an electric motor and a lot of them can just whiz along without any need to pedal at all)
Yes, and perhaps to raise awareness among other road users they should have a fag packet fixed to foul the spokes and make that motor bike noise that we all enjoyed as youngsters.

Well maybe not.

Top Bottom