Electric cyclist down in Bristol..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Christ! What is wrong with you lot! Bully boy tatics again! Why are some of you so far up your own backsides? Judge, Jury & firking executioners. :ninja:

^_^
Er, no ... I haven't laid into you at all on this .. just think you should be careful what you post up. I think the bus driver vid was an appalling piece of driving BTW. I "enjoy" your videos and please keep them up.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, I'll weigh in on locker's side here. I think there is some shameful behaviour going on on this topic, and it's getting close to bullying.

It seems to be the sad thing with videos, hindsight. I very much doubt any of the naysayers on here could have avoided that collision. If you think you could have, then you're just up yourself with a seriously over inflated opinion of your riding ability.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Does seem to be some harsh judgement going on, my first view of the video had me thinking the car was going straight on, after the inital maneuver, and the left turn came as a surprise. I wasn't looking closely for indicators it was just the turn and positioning. It struck me as if the driver had seen the cyclist, decided to go for it anyway, but stayed well out to give themselves room to accelerate away.

I've had similar incidents, generally anticipated, with people joing the road I'm on from the right. They don't come fully on to my side of the road as they seem to think that staying out wide means they aren't squeezing me for space. Even with an indicator going I'm not sure I'd have anticipated them doing a left hook across me straight away.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Comedy gold

I know I shouldn't laugh :smile: :giggle: though who is this guy from Bristol ?

He doesn't appear to even slow down / divert. He just makes a kami kazi bee line for his target

Can't stop laughing. Excellant stuff. I love the way he has edited the slow mo with his cam with his Arrgghhh BANG! !

So does he make a habit of doing this ?

locker

Sorry to say, I too think that the other videos would be put in evidence, if a case came to court, to try to discredit Locker's evidence, or to cast doubt whether everything was done to avoid a collision.

The sort of questioning on here would be a course of cross-examination which might be followed.

Great old British Justice this, I may have sh@gged around a bit but when I get r@ped I got to prove I didn`t get r@ped on purpose.:banghead:

al78

Guru
Yes, I'll weigh in on locker's side here. I think there is some shameful behaviour going on on this topic, and it's getting close to bullying.

It seems to be the sad thing with videos, hindsight. I very much doubt any of the naysayers on here could have avoided that collision. If you think you could have, then you're just up yourself with a seriously over inflated opinion of your riding ability.

I think it is because video's like this expose just how vulnerable we are when cycling on the roads, which some people find very uncomfortable. The way around this discomfort is to find fault with the cyclist in some way and thus imply that they are better than that and therefore the incident would not happen to them, which is a way of regaining a feeling of security.

GrasB

Veteran
I hate the ones who go out of their way to film car drivers doing things wrong to report them to the local council, go be a police man or GTFO.
The thing is as I see it it's actually your civic duty to report crime or criminal behavior to the police. Most crime requires an individual to report it before the correct authorities are aware of the incident. If I video someone who is doing something which I consider needing closer attention by the proper authorities the video gets put on a DVD & taken down to the police station. The police can then act on it as they see fit. Besides certain forum members, for which this is part of their job description, I don't see people making arrests & filing for prosecution. I see people reporting things to the police.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I think it is because video's like this expose just how vulnerable we are when cycling on the roads, which some people find very uncomfortable. The way around this discomfort is to find fault with the cyclist in some way and thus imply that they are better than that and therefore the incident would not happen to them, which is a way of regaining a feeling of security.

This may well be true and BM, you may also be right in your post above. Perhaps I am slightly jaded by his other videos and comments/approach. I will repeat though, that I do not believe this incident to be his "fault" I just cannot believe (for whatever reason) that i would have hit the back of the car in that way

However, I do also firmly believe that Locker is not able to adequately control the speed that his bike can produce.

I cant comment on whether he has swapped out the rear cassette to eliminate the 15mph restriction, perhaps he has...and perhaps there is nothing wrong in doing so (its a daft restriction anyway as I cruise at 20mph without any assist)...but you have to be able to control the way these bike accelerate and handle.

Linford

The way I see it is that there are some E-bikes on the roads which can reach and carry a speed for an extended period of time which 99% of cyclists would find impossible to do - and do it in places and gradients which would just be nearly impossible to achieve with leg power.

This sustained higher speed without the requirement for any motive effort means that in my mind the riders should have to undertake some sort of CBT style training (or hold an existing CBT for motorcycles/mopeds, or hold a driving license)

I know that this sounds a bit like big brother, but there are E-bikes out there which can cruise at 20mph without pedalling (my colleague has one), and people do tweak them to deliver more. They are closer to mopeds than cycles in performance now, and as the technology moves forward (so quickly), they will continue to acquire the potential for much higher speeds with very minor mods (in the way which motorcycles have over the years). I'd not be happy to see a 14 year old doing 30mph on a moped without a crash helmet or mixing it up with other traffic, and the legislation in place written in 1984 (for Clive Sinclairs contraption) is not really relevant with what can be achieved now.

Judging when to go fast isn't the skillful bit, it is judging when not to IMO.

Finally had a chance to watch this video with the sound on. At first I'd watched it with the sound off, and I was shocked at the number of people blaming the cyclist.

I've now watched it with the sound on, and I'm still shocked. Blaming the cyclist here is horrific - it is perhaps due to his history on this forum rather than anything else? I have no previous knowledge of Taypet, and as such watch this video as a one off. I'm going to say this as no one else has yet... I'm not an idiot cyclist, and I think I'd have got hit here too.

The driver pulls out at speed, suggesting she's seen the cyclist. This suggests a speedy pull out and burn away into the distance. Had she done this, yes, it would have been aggressive 'must beat the cyclist' driving, but she would have made it with no collision. It's the instant left hook that would have caught me out, as it did Taypet.

Watching a video on your sofa at home with plenty of time to analyse what happened is very different from being here and reacting in the seconds available. I think in all honesty I'd have been hit too.

It's fair enough and correct to point out that in hindsight it would have been possible to react differently and maybe avoid the collision. It wrong to get up on your high horse (or as we say at my nick in these situations your 'hindsight donkey'!) and explain how you would have definitely avoided the collision which means it shouldn't have happened.

^
I agree, Taypet21 is being bullied here because some people simply do not like him or his video's.

There are people on this forum who cycle like complete tard's, yet none of them get anywhere near as much abuse as this guy.

mad despot

Veteran
[QUOTE 1755109, member: 9609"]Looking at the way he mows down a ped in this video I am struggling to have much sympathy for him

And then there is another video where he appears to purposefully go close to a bus that pulls out in front of him ...

BTW I am definitely not on the side of the stupid woman driver that knocked him off in the first vid of the thread - it was a sort of an inverse SMIDSY - "But I seen you, you were down there"! presumably she doesn't get the concept that other traffic moves![/quote]

Bullseye! Superb! :cycle:

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I call that manoeuvre the old one two,where they come from the right and then throw a straight left.A few roads on my commute are set up for that sort of thing.

Top Bottom