Electric cyclist down in Bristol..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It looks pretty clear to me that he slowed considerably from his original pace.

Why the bike didn't stop I couldn't say, are electric bikes that much heavier than regular bikes? I don't know.

I'm looking at it as both a driver and a cyclist, on my bicycle I probably have could stopped. In my car the ABS would have had a heart attack no less.

I think about it like this, what motive does Taypet21 have to collide with the car? What can he possibly gain?

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
We've all had people pull out in front of us like that, but they usually keep well over to the right, leaving what they imagine to be space on the left where we can dash up the inside. The left hook was appalling and the driver clearly couldn't have appreciated the speed the bike was going.

Linford

We train ourselves to go for the brake and that becomes an instinctive response to a developing situation. It all becomes part of muscle memory.

The woman was obviously in the wrong for pulling out, but perhaps instinctively going for the brake before instinctively going for the horn is a poor way to train yourself, because going for the horn means you are reliant on the other vehicle giving way and you asserting your priority (which you obviously couldn't do against a car)

The fact that they pulled out on you indicates they were either doing a smidsy or that they misjudged your speed, and then after you sounded off, they cut across your path and whilst letting her see your annoyance with the horn, you had actually slowed to a point where you had given way, and they felt it then safe to continue across into the side road - as I see it.

The liability lies with them, but if she had driven across your leg, that would be cold comfort (give me good health anyday)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd go for a real bike TBH - the assist won't help your reactions to situations as on a 'real' bike the heart is pumping, and you can't half react much quicker.

Looking at the video, I think you could have reacted sooner as the car clearly wasn't stopping when it made the first turn - you can see the indicator on, but there was no speed change in the car. I'd be on the brakes here, and moving OUT not in. In the event you couldn't stop, you can go round the outside of the vehicle.

That said, the driver should have the book thrown at them. Play it up a bit to the police (i.e. do't say, 'oh I'm OK', and make sure they appreciate how concerned you were).

leroy

Defensive driving isnt just for motor vehicles - be aware and prepared for the dangers and try to avoid them.

Locker - it looks like you are aware of dangers but do not do all you can to avoid them.

But onto the driver - ridiculous attitute that she has, more concerned with the side of her car than the cyclist

GrasB

Veteran
Watch it without the speedo and it looks like I barely slow down, when I do.
Just look at on-board video from F1, GT, moto GP or WSB racing, sometimes multi-g deceleration looks like a light feather of the brakes.

Ps. did anything come out of that incident with the police?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Just look at on-board video from F1, GT, moto GP or WSB racing, sometimes multi-g deceleration looks like a light feather of the brakes.

Ps. did anything come out of that incident with the police?
Nothing... Unfotunatly the Police don't want to do anything because they think the public carriage office should deal with it. The PCO think the police should deal with it.

Unfotunatly the officer in the MET i was working with, to try and change how taxi's are dealt with in London, moved department. So i'm back to square one.

GrasB

Veteran
Nothing... Unfotunatly the Police don't want to do anything because they think the public carriage office should deal with it. The PCO think the police should deal with it.

Unfotunatly the officer in the MET i was working with, to try and change how taxi's are dealt with in London, moved department. So i'm back to square one.
So the PCO can pursue criminal prosecution of a driver? If no then :banghead: ...

BSRU

A Human Being
[QUOTE 1755934, member: 9609"]
get some footage for youTube.[/quote]
I am sure that was at the forefront of his mind:headshake:, never mind the risk of injury, possible serious injury or death.

locker

[QUOTE 1755934, member: 9609"]Take a look at his incident with the bus, he is aware the bus is pulling across his path and rather bizarrely instead of moving to the left to avoid the danger he moves to his right to get as close to the bus as he can - did wearing a helmet cam encourage this stupid and dangerous behaviour ?

Back to the incident of this thread, I guess when the car pulled out the red mist came down and he just wanted to get up good and close, blast away on his horn and get some footage for youTube. He then was taken by total surprise when she then turned left - without the red mist he may have anticipated a little better.

From my viewpoint this collision was caused by two people too stupid to be on the road, and if I was to be judge jury and executioner i would: Ban the woman from driving for 15 years + £1500 fine and car crushed. And as for Taypet a £1500 fine + his bike and camera crushed. (and as judge I get the 3k for a holiday in Barbados)[/quote]

So you`re the one making all these silly comments on Youtube, never mind enjoy your holiday in Barbados :wacko:

dawesome

THAT IS A LOAD OF CARP!

The cops are picking and choosing which crimes to attend to? The man used his vehicle as a weapon, issued threats and assaulted you and the cops do nothing?

I'd write to your mp, the press, interpol, Thunderbirds and anyone else, that is crap behaviour by johnny law.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Maybe when I`ve lost another stone & given up smoking
See, I think you have that round the wrong way.

Get rid of the elec assist and you'll loose that stone in under a month...then, smoking will seem like a habit you no longer wish to partake in.

Also, I agree with 400BP's summary...although I accept we would all have been caught out by her left hook...I suspect not all of us would have had an "off" as a result.

When she pulled out on you from your right, the red mist descended and you used the horn, rather than look to avoid the danger. You were then caught out when the driver decided to do a left turn.
Look at your other vids, testosterone before common sense.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Sorry to say, I too think that the other videos would be put in evidence, if a case came to court, to try to discredit Locker's evidence, or to cast doubt whether everything was done to avoid a collision.

The sort of questioning on here would be a course of cross-examination which might be followed.

Hawk

Veteran
The cyclist was not at fault.

Whether he had an electric bike or not is irrelevant safety-wise, that's like saying "you should get a less powerful car so you're travelling at a lower speed on average so if you do hit a pedestrian it's less likely to be serious". I'm sure many fit cyclists could match the speed that Taypet/locker was doing in that clip on a nice non-electric roadbike; should then, for example, Gaz refrain from doing 25-30mph at any point on his commute because "drivers don't expect" him to be going that fast?

Had he HAPPENED to have a different road position he might have been able to get round the outside. However there is no training manual that says "if you expect a driver to pull out in front of you then be aware they may immediately turn left. You should move as far to the right as possible, even if this means encroaching on a right-turn filter lane [as in the vid], when this happens to have a chance of getting round them if they do turn left." OK, maybe someone who's been in a similar situation but was a bit luckier would have thought of that and heck maybe the top road-cyclists amongst us might have been able to avoid it. However the driver literally boxed Taypet in by holding a position across both the right-turn filter lane and the lane going forward. If she had continued straight on and Taypet had tried to go round her outside he'd probably have gone in to the back of her.

The decision taypet must've been "ok I might not stop in time, do I go down the gap she's seemingly left me OR do I make a very sharp right, which might have me off and under her, and pray she moves in before I hit the back of her?"

If he was a mind reader he probably could've avoided the collision but it's unreasonable to suggest anyone can get out of that sort of situation through anything other than sheer luck

Top Bottom