Electric toothbrush.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok not quite a pinarello dogma or a pair of zipp carbon wheels !

But a visit to the dentist showed I am scrubbing to hard at my gums. The dentist said one of the electric type brushes measures how hard you are brushing.....

Sounds a bit fanciful to me ! Anyone used one ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine flashes red if I press too hard. Oral B.
I don’t brush my gums though, it tickles :laugh:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have been using an Oral B for years now - the latest one also flashes when too much pressure is applied. I have to say that they are an easy way to appease the dentist and hygienist, as I always get top marks now when in the seat.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We both use the same dental practice but have different dentists and they both advise not to use the things re gum damage.

We have friends too who have received the same advice.

Confusing!

Or maybe they are not so good for older gums?

Broadside

Guru
Oral B electric toothbrushes are brilliant. You only need very light pressure for them to work well so they are actually very gentle when used properly. The heads are a bit pricey but should last a good couple of months provided you don’t brush too hard.

Combined with Tepe interdental brushes you will be amazed how clean you can get your teeth and your dentist/hygienist will have nothing but praise! The Tepe brushes have been a revelation for me and made me realise how poor regular flossing is.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Oral B electric toothbrushes are brilliant. You only need very light pressure for them to work well so they are actually very gentle when used properly. The heads are a bit pricey but should last a good couple of months provided you don’t brush too hard.

Combined with Tepe interdental brushes you will be amazed how clean you can get your teeth and your dentist/hygienist will have nothing but praise! The Tepe brushes have been a revelation for me and made me realise how poor regular flossing is.
Yes, I have a veritable rainbow of Tepe brushes to cover all the different interdental gaps I have.

CXRAndy

Guru
Just buy a AA cell Oral B with replacement heads.

Dont press on the teeth or gums. Let the high speed rotation and vibration do the job

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm actually quite amazed when I hear of people who don't have electric toothbrushes these days. Manual ones are pretty terrible in comparison, they don't remove as much plaque and it's easy to damage gums with one. I have to resort to a manual occasionally when I'm travelling and I can feel the difference.
Go and get yourself an Oral B now! They're very often available on half price offers, so shop around. Argos, Superdrug and the big supermarkets are good places to start.

Oh and +1 for TePe interdental brushes too.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I would recommend a cheap chinese ultrasonic one, there are certain brands such as Fairywill but they are all much the same, I've got 3 different ones (one at mine, one at my partners house, and one as a spare) and they all work really well. You get a much cleaner tooth compared with normal (sub-sonic) electric. The battery lasts well into 5 or 6 weeks. You don't even need to move it around, just play it on your teeth and gums with virtually no pressure. Other brands are available bt I don't see the point in paying £90 odd for a Braun or Phillips one that has fancy features.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
There's an Oral B Pro 2 2000 at half price in Argos right now, a good deal at 39.99. You don't really need to spend any more than that, all you get at twice the price are "features" that you don't need like 4 speeds or charge level indicators. This one has a good motor and a gum pressure sensor, I have a very similar one.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8174440?clickSR=slp:term:electric toothbrush:8:50:1

If you wanted to save more they still do the Pro 1 for 30 pounds, but you miss out on the gum pressure indicator.
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9514504?clickSR=slp:term:electric toothbrush:11:50:1

wonderloaf

Veteran
I would recommend a cheap chinese ultrasonic one, there are certain brands such as Fairywill but they are all much the same, I've got 3 different ones (one at mine, one at my partners house, and one as a spare) and they all work really well. You get a much cleaner tooth compared with normal (sub-sonic) electric. The battery lasts well into 5 or 6 weeks. You don't even need to move it around, just play it on your teeth and gums with virtually no pressure. Other brands are available bt I don't see the point in paying £90 odd for a Braun or Phillips one that has fancy features.
+1 for the Fairywill toothbrushes, Mrs W bought me one a couple of years ago to replace an Oral B and it's just as good as the main brands, my teeth don't notice the difference! Plus the heads are easily available and a lot cheaper than those for Oral B, Philips, etc.

Chislenko

Veteran
Another Oral B user but I use a Waterpix flosser before brushing which dislodges a lot of stuff stuck in recesses etc.

OldShep

Über Member
Many years ago my dentist advised me to stop using an electric brush. I was wearing away the enamel.
At the start of the pandemic and every appointment cancelled I bought an oral b with the pressure detector. It came with instructions on how to use it. What a revelation and a sickening realisation of where I’d gone wrong 10 years earlier.
I’d used the electric in the same manner I’d used a manual all my life. Brushing and scrubbing away with it. Doh!
No one told me back then you just hold it against the teeth and let it do the work.

Top Bottom