Electric trike

Discussion in 'Electric Bikes' started by DEFENDER01, 12 Feb 2018.

Tags:
  1. DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01 Senior Member

I am waiting for a total knee replacement and have been thinking of getting an electric trike.
    I have osteoporosis in both knees but the one I had a motorcycle accident with in 1971 has gone completely bone on bone.
    I am unable to walk without a stick.
    Would a electric trike be good as when I have had the operation I will need exercise
    Just wondering on thoughts or experiences.
    Don't want to spend too much as I hope to be able to continue enjoying cycling on my other bikes one of which is electric but can't get the confidence to ride it at the moment.:headshake:

2. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

@raleighnut has an electric trike after an operation, his was bought as a trike and electric assist kit added to it, maybe he could advise

raleighnut and classic33 like this.
  3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

Avoid Jorvik Trikes. At all costs.

raleighnut and Salar like this.
  4. Salar

Salar Über Member

5. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

As @roadrash rightly says I built mine up from a Kentex that originally looked like this,

$_86.jpg

into mine which now looks like this,

trike 001.JPG

The entire project worked out just short of a grand (except the Brooks B17 special that I nicked off one of my other bikes)

The front wheel is a 250watt 'Hall effect' motor which 'freewheels' when not in use and after it's top speed is reached.

6. OP
    OP
    DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01 Senior Member

I have seen them and they are quite expensive as i hope to only have one until i get mobile again.
    Is there a reason why you say avoid them.:sad:
    Been looking for a second hand one to get me by until get my operation then for a while for exercise while i recover.

7. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

8. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

That's exactly what I thought, nearly 4yrs later and I'm still riding mine :cycle: I do have the odd spin out on the 2 wheelers every now and then but the trike is still my main vehicle. :becool:

9. annedonnelly

annedonnelly Girl from the North Country

One of our local cycling charities has one for sale - I hope this facebook link works

10. OP
    OP
    DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01 Senior Member

Doesn't give price or location

11. Tailendman

Tailendman Regular

Have you tried Pedelec forum. Pretty sure there will be some people there with ideas.

DEFENDER01 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice