Electrical question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I have a number of shelves that I have that self-adhesive LED lighting strip stuff attached to, which is all well and good, but I have it daisy-chained across a few shelves, so if one part gets damaged (as sometimes it does) it knocks out all the other shelves 'downstream' Plus it means that you can't move the shelves (they are adjustable in theory) because there isn't enough slack in the cable.

So I'm going to re-wire then - the idea is to have the power supply feeding a box with several outputs, and each shelf having it's own individual strip, with a small socket on the back / side, so I can then connect each shelf individually to the power box. Hopefully this will solve the issues outlined above.

What I'm not sure on is what connectors to use. The lights run on 12v, and at the moment each 'block' of shelves has a laptop-type power supply connected to a connector block, and then the cabling from each 'run' of shelves connected to that. Obviously if each shelf is to have it's own cable I'm going to be connecting lots of cables to just two wires coming from the power supply - I'm not sure what product I need to do this neatly - or is there no neat way?

I'm also struggling with what plugs/sockets to use on the shelves - I was thinking of using phono ones or 3.5mm headphone because that's something I'm familiar with, but they seem a bit bulky to hide behind the shelves - I'm now thinking bullet connectors, but that is two connections per strip and I want it to be as sleek and foolproof as possible, so any recommendations for connectors would also be much appreciated. CPCs website is kind of overwhelming if you don't really know what you're looking for!

Thanks in advance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If only 12v your best bet might be these bullet connectors if you want them slim and unobtrusive. The wire is soldered in and the connector is covered in heat shrink. If you don't have a local hobby shop they are available on line;
http://www.hobbystores.co.uk/default.asp?WPG=HOB_HomePage1&PageNumber=4&search=Connector

How about T-connectors? As used in hobbies/ lipo batteries, they take a lot of power for their size (easily as much if not more than bullet type) and once installed on wires they cannot accidentally be connected wrong way around.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How about T-connectors? As used in hobbies/ lipo batteries, they take a lot of power for their size (easily as much if not more than bullet type) and once installed on wires they cannot accidentally be connected wrong way around.
Do you mean Tamiya type connectors? You could use them but are not very slim.

No. T connector are similar to tamiya ones, and similar also to ec3 connector, but different and can take a lot more amps (I prefer them)

Picture on links I've found aren't clear - this one is a t connector to an ec3 adaptor that shows the t connector end ( the red end)

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/t-connector-to-ec3-battery-adapter-plug-2pc-new-version.html

I have bought them from here before (hobbyking) and if you search t connector or browse their connections they have a lot of suitable choices in various sizes etc. A good place to find one that suits your needs and cheap too I think. Also for wires/heatshrink and solder/irons and all that's needed all available.

Last edited:

irw

Quadricyclist
Sounds like a job for Type 222 Wago's to me. No soldering/crimping/anything else awkward required. Available from a screwfix near you. LINK

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks all - I've discovered that there is a connector for attaching to the LED strip:

connector.resized.jpg

So I've ordered enough of them for each shelf - I've got ones with a connector on either end, but they are 15cm long so I'll chop them in half leaving me with each shelf having a c.7cm tail. These are non-solder too.

I have 60 shelves to wire up, so the T connectors will work out quite pricey at £78 just for plugs - but that sort of 'can only connect one way' is what I was after. However, for cost reasons I might just go with bullet connectors. Not as neat as I'd like, but if I get two colours, surely no-one can connect it back to front ...

Now I need a solution to making two wires from a power supply neatly feed 18 pairs of bullet connectors - still not sure what product to google, so current thinking is just get a box and mount 18 sockets into it and have a rats nest of wires inside it - is there a product that will do it for me?

60 shelves?
How about running different amp rated bullet connectors, I think from memory their sizes are different. If other numpties are going to touch the connections (seems you hint at that by saying no-one can get it wrong) make sure to connect them the correct way -ie the fully insulated female end is on the live supply side and the male end that has conductor exposed is on the led strip side, so when disconnected the live ends cannot flap about and make contact.

Top Bottom