Electronic shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
I am looking for ways to ease the pain I experience changing gear on my Dawes bike. It has Shimano XT Rapidfire changers. I have arthritis in both thumbs and some days I grit my teeth just at the thought of the next gear change! I came across electronic shifters the other day and they look as if they could be the answer. I was looking at the Xshifter but I know there are others. I would appreciate comments from anyone who has experience of this type of shifter system; I'd also be glad to hear from anyone about alternative solutions to my problem. At least I have my Thorn Sterling with its Rohloff twist shifter for most of my rides at the moment.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Have you considered Di2? I've got a RH XTR Di2 shifter I can send you if you want it, it's been sat in my garage for months... depending on your bike you would need at least an XT or XTR Di2 mech and Di2 battery too so not super cheap but by the sounds of things it would fit your needs.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Di2 would be just about perfect for you I'd have thought. No physical effort required.
You've already got a Rohloff so you shouldn't Blanche at the price!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Di2 climbing shifter would be perfect for your situation or even the new e6000/e7000/e8000 shifters that can be used for di2 shifting or ebike controllers....super easy to set up and effortless shifting

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Thanks for all the responses so far. Very much appreciated. I had heard of the Di2 and will take a more detailed look. SRAM and the others too. The Xshifter system is wireless and is basically a battery and motor with its own cable which attaches to and operates existing mechs. It looks to me at first glance as if the Di2 is cabled and replaces the mechs with new, motorised ones. Is that the case? My Dawes is a hybrid with flat bars by the way.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Thanks for all the responses so far. Very much appreciated. I had heard of the Di2 and will take a more detailed look. SRAM and the others too. The Xshifter system is wireless and is basically a battery and motor with its own cable which attaches to and operates existing mechs. It looks to me at first glance as if the Di2 is cabled and replaces the mechs with new, motorised ones. Is that the case? My Dawes is a hybrid with flat bars by the way.
My ebike is flat bars too....that’s why I said about the various di2 shifters available for you....

Not much testing done on the Xshifter unit

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Not much testing done on the Xshifter unit

On further investigation it looks as is it will only be available to Kickstarter backers in March so I guess general availability will be several months yet.

CXRAndy

Guru
I love Di2, for its keyboard touch effort to change gear but its super reliable shifting. Ive just converted my TT bike with a few bits an bobs acquired over the years, it will make altering arm position so much simpler by unplugging

Good evening,

With mechanical shifting it is easy with a bit of practice, to shift 2, 3 or 4 gears goes in one simple shift.

With electronic shifting it is a bit different;

Press and release the button is one gear,

Press and hold may be one gear, multiple gears, or something that is defined by an app that you can download.

I have older Di2 and after the novelty wore off I found that reaching for downtube shifters and knowing that I could change 3 cogs in one go was something that I missed.

Bye

Ian

wyre forest blues

Über Member
I have Di2 on a home built Kinesis Racelight titanium frame. Its brilliant. As a ball park estimate it cost me in the region of £1000 more for this bike with Di2 as opposed to if I didnt choose to have Di2. I also have a Giant deft Advanced pro 1. (not Di2) The Defy advanced pro 0 wiith Di2 (2019prices) is about £1000 to £1300 more. So you have to make a decision... is it worth that much for Di2?

Top Bottom