Elf and safety mate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Designated pedestrian walkways.

Nobody will ever take responsibility for walk ins on such a site.
Locally the walk-in takes you straight to the site office now. The car route is an elevated section, where you stop and then unload to the appropriate skip(s). No site vehicles to worry about.

Previously you waited until a parking space became available, drove in and then wandered backwards and forwards across the site. Skips loaded from wherever you could throw it in.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Your barking up the wrong tree with that one. Mixing pedestrians with vehicle movements is a huge no no and if it was your head on the block you would make the same decision. Way of the world I'm afraid.

Not really pedestrians mix with cars in thousands of places. The dump is one of the least risky locations. There aren’t designated walkways everywhere at our dump. People just walk to the particular skip they need.

Slick

Guru
Not really pedestrians mix with cars in thousands of places. The dump is one of the least risky locations. There aren’t designated walkways everywhere at our dump. People just walk to the particular skip they need.
Maybe true but the private company aren't at risk of prosecution if anything goes wrong in thousands of places. :okay:

Slick

Guru
Locally the walk-in takes you straight to the site office now. The car route is an elevated section, where you stop and then unload to the appropriate skip(s). No site vehicles to worry about.

Previously you waited until a parking space became available, drove in and then wandered backwards and forwards across the site. Skips loaded from wherever you could throw it in.
There must be site vehicles to lift the skips.

You used to be able to wander from skip to skip in my recycling centre to but usually after events elsewhere, advice changes.

Slick

Guru
Neither are they if a member if the public drives into another member of the public. If they were driving large HGVs round the dump, fair enough, but they are not.
They could be if the site was poorly laid out and there was a lack of supervision. Either way, why would they risk it?

Slick

Guru
The long and the short of it is the private sector is open to all sorts of litigation should anything go wrong and are legally obliged to come up with a robust traffic management plan. However boring that is, stopping walk ins is the result.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If it's the site I recall from emptying my Mum's house, there is no pedestrian access other than the road. IIRC there is also a site in near where Agecroft colliery used to be, which is the same.
And thinking about it, the site I most commonly use also has no dedicated pedestrian access. - And a considerable sum of money was spent last year modernising it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed. These people must get a right shock when they arrive in the high street

lane

Veteran
Same at the tip round here can't enter unless in a car! Clearly discrimination against people who don't own a car. They also don't like vans or trailers because they bring too much rubish. Lot of fly tipping round here for some reason.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s the same with drive thru takeaways.
They are for cars not pedestrians.

My kids were told off when they were helping me unload the car. Under 16s have to stay in the vehicle which makes sense.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’s the same with drive thru takeaways.
They are for cars not pedestrians.

My kids were told off when they were helping me unload the car. Under 16s have to stay in the vehicle which makes sense.

We’ve done drive thru on bikes. There were four of us and we weren’t on foot or pedestrians we were on our vehicles

Top Bottom