Elf and safety mate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Maybe true but the private company aren't at risk of prosecution if anything goes wrong in thousands of places. :okay:
Council contractors, seldom private companies running the whole show.

Slick

Guru
Council contractors, seldom private companies running the whole show.
All the tips that I can think off are private but the smaller local recycling centres are still local authority controlled. I have to show my licence to prove I have a local postcode to use ours.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ours in Oxford is chaos, there are no designated pedestrian walkways, on a Sunday there a cats and people everywhere. All seems to work though.
Cats? Must be Redbridge....

Slick

Guru
Is that something the council mandate?
Yeah, it's a fairly recent development when during an audit commercial waste was being tipped without any checks being carried out so any vehicle that looked remotely commercial was refused access and everyone had to prove they were local before being allowed in.

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
There are pedestrian walkways, I have lived here 20 years and used the facility often, I walk round with my wheelbarrow with garden waste in the summer, the stuff is tipped over a wall into the different skips well away from all the mobile plant which has it's own separate entrance. When trucks do come and go they close public access anyway. I have been crossing busy roads since I was at primary school so I can manage to negotiate myself into a recycling centre.

Madness I say :cursing:

classic33

Leg End Member
There are pedestrian walkways, I have lived here 20 years and used the facility often, I walk round with my wheelbarrow with garden waste in the summer, the stuff is tipped over a wall into the different skips well away from all the mobile plant which has it's own separate entrance. When trucks do come and go they close public access anyway. I have been crossing busy roads since I was at primary school so I can manage to negotiate myself into a recycling centre.

Madness I say :cursing:
I'm at more risk, from their vehicles, on the road than at any of the recycling centres.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah, it's a fairly recent development when during an audit commercial waste was being tipped without any checks being carried out so any vehicle that looked remotely commercial was refused access and everyone had to prove they were local before being allowed in.
And the council insist on that, not the contractor?

I can understand commercial waste being kept at bay, but who in earth wouldn't drive to their nearest tip?

lane

Veteran
You would have to walk or cycle past the very long que of cars waiting to get in the tip on a sunny Sunday afternoon

Top Bottom