Elitism and Snobbery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Your first mistake was getting involved in strava.

Ok, so I’m a recreational cyclist like I would imagine close to 100% of us are on here, and for a long time I’ve always ridden solo be it on trails or road. I cycle purely for enjoyment-it’s my escape from life’s ups and downs, if only for a short time.

Some lads at work who follow my strava and mates of theirs added me in to their group chat and invited me on a few weekly socials which I happily accepted (and still do). They’re a fantastic bunch of lads every single one of them. A little cliquey, maybe, but they’ve ridden together for a while so I don’t let that bother me.

But a couple of chaps in the group like to have the best of everything be it clothing or tech or whatever and it’s becoming like a “Keep Up With The Joneses” with all the others following suit and then they scoff and sneer at me because I don’t. They’re quite passive aggressive with it I find at times as well. The latest one is all matching Rapha clobber for next year’s trip to Spain, once I expressed doubt on this (for no other reason than cost as I have other bits to fork out for) it’s like I’ve been an afterthought in the group, feeling a little shut out.

The way I look at it is I enjoy riding my bike-pure and simple. Should it matter that I only wear certain branded attire or don’t have the latest gadget?

I really enjoy riding with these fellas as it’s benefited me no end and we have a good laugh but the elitism and snobbery is driving me crazy!

What experiences (if any) have you had with elitist snobs in cycling and how did you deal with it?

Love to hear the feedback.
They don't sound like 'a fantastic bunch of lads, every one of them' to me!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You have 2 choices.

1. Tell them to shove it or just not go out with them anymore.

2. Put up with the snobbery and take no notice as you like going out with them.

I certainly wouldn't try to keep up the joneses though. Once you start you will feel like to have to keep doing it and you will end up spending a lot of money and you won't enjoy the clobber or the trip simply because you will be thinking about how much it has cost you.

There is of course a 3rd option which is to try to tell them the same sort of thing that you said above. Do you think it would be taken well? Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Biker Joe

Über Member
It is a shame that a few people in the group are spoiling it for you. If it is making you unhappy, perhaps it would be better for you to leave the group. Another alternative is to mention your concerns to members of the group who are more sympathetic towards you. Maybe they can help resolve the issues.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
This;
They’re a fantastic bunch of lads every single one of them.
And this:
all the others following suit and then they scoff and sneer at me because I don’t
Do not go together.
Tell them to do one and either find a decent bunch to ride with or go back to riding on your own, the bunch you're with are tossers.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Feck em, wear what you like. :becool:

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Exactly. I would get a different bunch of 'blokes'. Do not associate with people who belittle or criticize you because you aren't a lemming. They are the fools. It is not elitism or snobbery - they are just plain c**ks....

You don't have to have all the latest stuff to be good at cycling....or to enjoy it....you invest as much time/effort/money as you want and don't let anyone else say otherwise

Kajjal

Guru
It sounds like a description of exactly who I wouldn’t want to go cycling with. Our local club is completely the opposite and keen to make everyone feel welcome. They just want everyone to get the most out of it from pootling between coffee shops to competing & riding TDF stages.

Sounds like all they want to do is bully and intimidate people as it makes them feel self important and gives them some sort of kick.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Be yourself and be proud of that.
Regarding the Rapha gear, just tell them that you can’t justify that spend and you have other things to spend your money on and you are quite happy with the gear you’ve got.
I wouldn’t fall out with them.

Top Bottom