Embarrassingly dim question....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ok. Some time back, I finished a bottle of soy sauce, and when I went to buy another, found that the cheapest option was the cute flask shaped Kikkoman bottle, so I got that.

Anyone who's had one will know, there's the red bottle top, which has two holes in it, so that you can pour the sauce from one, and control the flow with a finger over the other.

Underneath the bottle top when you unscrew it is a plastic cap that sits in the top of the bottle, providing an airtight seal. To get the sauce out, you need to remove it.

My thought was, if I just take it out and throw it away, the air will get to the sauce through the pouring holes, and do something dire to it. So I've been taking the top lid off, removing the plastic seal, replacing the top lid, pouring the sauce, removing the top lid, replacing the seal, putting the top back on.... Rather a lot of faff. But if it was to be a disposable seal, why not just make it a peel off sticky one, instead of one that can be put back in?

Am I right, or have I been being very, very stupid all this time (the bottle is now about two thirds used).;)

Keith Oates

Janner
There is no need to replace the seal, once it is removed the air goes inside anyway and unless you are a really really longtime in using it there will be no problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Thank you Keith, if anyone should know, you should! I hadn't thought about the air being in there already. I suppose I thought it might evaporate or something.

I won't take years to finish it, although I don't use it everyday. But my occasional Saturday lunchtime treat is a pack of sushi from M and S or Pret, and there's never enough soy in those little fish shaped bottles.

Now that I've been solved, maybe anyone else who has a blindingly dim question might like to use the thread - now, no one is to laugh at anyone, or I'll get cross.

wafflycat

Wot Keith sez.

Kikkoman was the cheapest soy you found? Itr's always the most expensive brand round these parts and less easily had. I tend to use the Kikkoman green one (reduced salt).

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
wafflycat said:
Wot Keith sez.

Kikkoman was the cheapest soy you found? Itr's always the most expensive brand round these parts and less easily had. I tend to use the Kikkoman green one (reduced salt).

It was then - I think it might have been on offer in Sainsburys. I expect I could get it cheaper in the oriental supermarket near work, but I don't get through it all that fast, and only remember I need it whenI go for a supermarket shop.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
+1 for Keith's comments. Kikkoman soy sauce that you mention with the red lid is the table one- better for using as a accompaniment to dishes ie like sushi. Not as good for cooking mind.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
So much Salt in Soy Sauce, it'll take years to go off.
I prefer the mushroom Soy you get from the local Chinese supermarket, much richer in flavour. Yum!

TVC

Arch, find your local Chinese supermarket, you should be able to get a litre of proper soy sauce for about 90p. You will also see how much the chains rip people off for Oriental gear generally.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
A litre! I'd take a decade to use that!

Could I use it clean my chain?xx(

I know what you mean though. I'mafraid for me it's often laziness - Sainsburys is a 5 minute walk away. I do root out the best value once I'm there though...

Gromit

Über Member
There is a very good oriental supermarket on George Hudson Street in York. We need to go back there to get some packet noodles with the really got sauce in them.xx(

thomas

the tank engine
The Velvet Curtain said:

Chinese/Asian supermarkets are usually great places for coconut milk. In sainsburys here they're £1.50 (for a top brand). In 99p stores (within the Ethnic neighbourhood of Norwich) you can get 2 for 99p (not as high quality, but perfectly fine...especially on a student budget!)

Coriander too....50p for masses of the stuff xx(.....and dried spices! I love Asian supermarkets, just walking around looking at the stuff.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Arch said:
Anyone who's had one will know, there's the red bottle top, which has two holes in it, so that you can pour the sauce from one, and control the flow with a finger over the other.
We always find that it dispenses too much sauce and for as long as I can remember, if we had a bottle like that, there was always a cocktail stick plug in the second hole. We only used what we could shake out of the bottle through the one hole.

We don't use anywhere near as much as the restaurants and take aways tend to add to their food.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Can I ask a dim question?

Do people re-use their paper vacuum cleaner bags? I have a Sebo vacuum cleaner with good filters. The top of the replacement vacuum cleaner has a plastic sort of rim attached that connects with the corresponding wotsit in the cleaner. I would have to undo the replacement bag at the bottom and reseal it, with duct tape I think. Will this reduce the efficiency of the machine? I think I could reuse them once at least, but do not want a house full of dust. Well it contains lots of dust and cat hairs, but you know what I mean.

Can the contents of the vacuum cleaner go in the compost bin. As well as cat hairs, person hairs and dust, who knows what else it might contain. ;)

Do you also agree with me that cooking salt is not the same as the sort you would put in the dishwasher.

Apeman

Über Member
The bags can be sealed better with a piece of small bore plastic pipe slit along its lenght and then pushed along the folded end of the bag!! I wouldnt put the contents into your compost as you might get hairy veg with a serious dandruff problem!!!!!

Top Bottom