Embra-St Andrews 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's a pity; do you have to work on Sunday?

It'll be a long day in the saddle for me too. I'll leave the house at about 6:45am, meet folk around 8:15 do the 68 miles at a slow pace and then cycle back to Dunfermline. My mates are hanging around for the bus but I don't think I will.

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

HLaB said:
That's a pity; do you have to work on Sunday?

It'll be a long day in the saddle for me too. I'll leave the house at about 6:45am, meet folk around 8:15 do the 68 miles at a slow pace and then cycle back to Dunfermline. My mates are hanging around for the bus but I don't think I will.

No not work, but i'm a volunteer run leader here on Sunday http://www.ctcglasgow.org.uk/ i'm on the 35 mile one, it's just the logistics of the day, that will make it long.

bhoyjim said:
No not work, but i'm a volunteer run leader here on Sunday http://www.ctcglasgow.org.uk/ i'm on the 35 mile one, it's just the logistics of the day, that will make it long.
Pity we'll miss you but enjoy the ctc ride.

Just remembered what I did one year to cut the time down was, to do the run, and cycle to Glenrothes with Thorton Station and take the train back. The station is just far enough away and downhill :-) that its pretty quiet; I was the only bike when I done it and the was only 4 or 5 passengers. It could be an option ?

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

HLaB said:
Pity we'll miss you but enjoy the ctc ride.

Just remembered what I did one year to cut the time down was, to do the run, and cycle to Glenrothes with Thorton Station and take the train back. The station is just far enough away and downhill :-) that its pretty quiet; I was the only bike when I done it and the was only 4 or 5 passengers. It could be an option ?

Are you trying to tempt me, honestly Adrian, if there was an easier way to get me home earlier, i'd take it, but to many journeys, just add to the days length.

bhoyjim said:
Are you trying to tempt me, honestly Adrian, if there was an easier way to get me home earlier, i'd take it, but to many journeys, just add to the days length.
Just a thought but if it doesn't work for you forget it, enjoy your Sunday Ride.

You would get home far earlier you just backtrack on the route and then take the signed Cycle route to Star (yes its actually called that) and Thorton Station. From there trains run half hourly to Edinburgh. If that doesnt work for you just forget it.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
HonestMan1910 said:
Better today I hope and wel enough for Saturday ?

Thanks for asking, it's not looking very hopeful I am afraid, unless there is a miraculous recovery overnight :sad:.
I've been coughing so much that my ribs hurt :sad: and even went to the dr's today. Luckily no bronchitis, "just viral, come back if it doesn't get better soon" ...

Now I AM feeling just very slightly better ... might just lay out everything before having an early night - fingers crossed, but I'd say maybe a 10% chance :sad:.

Anyway, it looks like the :smile: will shine for the ride, and I am sure the cakes at Freuchie :tongue::hungry: will be up to the same standard as last year :biggrin:, have fun, guys!

T

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Sorry to hear the 2nd longest day of the year isn't long enough for you, Jim!:tongue:

As HLaB says, the trains should be OK, especially if you bring your "go-faster" (TM Magnatom) and stay ahead of the (very slow) masses, you should be back home by mid-afternoon :smile:.

* 8:45 start
* 15 mph over 60 miles = 4 hours, say 1:30 PM arrival St A. with a break or two (45 min included in time)
* back to a suitable train station - 1 hour or thereabouts?
* train into Ed. Haymarket - 30 min max?
* train to Glasgow every 15 minutes on Saturday, takes 50 min

voila, home around 4:30 pm ? ("barring mechanicals" - TM Arallsop)

I am sure HLaB or somebody else will be along shortly to correct my dodgy best guesses :sad:

Anyway I'll shut up ...

So what are these CTC rides like? What sort of speeds do they go?

T

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

Telemark said:
Sorry to hear the 2nd longest day of the year isn't long enough for you, Jim!:tongue:

As HLaB says, the trains should be OK, especially if you bring your "go-faster" (TM Magnatom) and stay ahead of the (very slow) masses, you should be back home by mid-afternoon :smile:.

* 8:45 start
* 15 mph over 60 miles = 4 hours, say 1:30 PM arrival St A. with a break or two (45 min included in time)
* back to a suitable train station - 1 hour or thereabouts?
* train into Ed. Haymarket - 30 min max?
* train to Glasgow every 15 minutes on Saturday, takes 50 min

voila, home around 4:30 pm ? ("barring mechanicals" - TM Arallsop)

I am sure HLaB or somebody else will be along shortly to correct my dodgy best guesses :sad:

Anyway I'll shut up ...

So what are these CTC rides like? What sort of speeds do they go?

T

Varying speeds T, but mostly 10-15mph, it's usually kept at that as sometimes there can be first timers out with us, the run i'm leading on Sunday will be 10-12mph as there will be lot's of first timers.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Telemark said:
Thanks for asking, it's not looking very hopeful I am afraid, unless there is a miraculous recovery overnight :sad:.
I've been coughing so much that my ribs hurt :sad: and even went to the dr's today. Luckily no bronchitis, "just viral, come back if it doesn't get better soon" ...

Now I AM feeling just very slightly better ... might just lay out everything before having an early night - fingers crossed, but I'd say maybe a 10% chance :sad:.

Anyway, it looks like the :biggrin: will shine for the ride, and I am sure the cakes at Freuchie :sad::hungry: will be up to the same standard as last year :biggrin:, have fun, guys!

T
If it's only a 10% chance at the mo', I wouldn't think it is worth the risk of riding tomorrow - even though we will miss you very much :tongue: and it won't be the same without you :smile: etc etc.

Look after yourself and get better, is my advice :sad:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
bhoyjim said:
Varying speeds T, but mostly 10-15mph, it's usually kept at that as sometimes there can be first timers out with us, the run i'm leading on Sunday will be 10-12mph as there will be lot's of first timers.

Thanks, that sounds good - do they have a "nobody gets left behind" policy like CC Ecosse? :tongue:
Some of their Edinburgh rides start just round the corner from us, and I think I saw BikeWeek tester rides advertised :sad: - now I just need to shake that horrible cough ...

I can definitely do 10-12 mph [sometimes even 15, depending on the terrain, wind direction etc :smile:]

T

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I am beginning to worry that I might not be fit for tomorrow, Mrs HJ has been ill most of the week and think she has just given it to me. I am still hoping to do it but I am not at all sure... :smile:

Telemark said:
Thanks, that sounds good - do they have a "nobody gets left behind" policy like CC Ecosse? :tongue:
Some of their Edinburgh rides start just round the corner from us, and I think I saw BikeWeek tester rides advertised :sad: - now I just need to shake that horrible cough ...

I can definitely do 10-12 mph [sometimes even 15, depending on the terrain, wind direction etc :smile:]

T
I done a few rides with the ctc a few years back that is certainly the case but the Edinburgh ones also break up into groups of different abilities although they all seem to come together for cafe stops (usually a church hall and picnic).

Top Bottom