'Emergency Location Service'/'Advanced Mobile Location' on your phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was just looking through various menus on my Android phone and I found an entry that I hadn't noticed before... Settings/Safety & Emergency/Emergency Location Service. It is to enable the phone to send an accurate location to the emergency services if you dial the standard emergency code in your country - 999 (UK), 911 (USA) etc. The only time it is used to track your location is when you dial that emergency number.

ELS / AML sounds like a good idea so I have enabled it. It is possible that your mobile service provider already does this, but no harm in making sure this way?

I am probably the only person on CycleChat who didn't know that this was available, but in case you didn't know either... now you DO! :okay:

[For the paranoid among us who think that THEY could use it to track us... Don't worry any more than usual - THEY ALREADY CAN! :laugh:]

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I was just looking through various menus on my Android phone and I found an entry that I hadn't noticed before... Settings/Safety & Emergency/Emergency Location Service. It is to enable the phone to send an accurate location to the emergency services if you dial the standard emergency code in your country - 999 (UK), 911 (USA) etc. The only time it is used to track your location is when you dial that emergency number.

ELS / AML sounds like a good idea so I have enabled it. It is possible that your mobile service provider already does this, but no harm in making sure this way?

I am probably the only person on CycleChat who didn't know that this was available, but in case you didn't know either... now you DO! :okay:

[For the paranoid among us who think that THEY could use it to track us... Don't worry any more than usual - THEY ALREADY CAN! :laugh:]
More and more things doing things like this. My Apple Watch can detect falls and dial emergency contacts and emergency services if I want. I don’t, so have disabled it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

More and more things doing things like this. My Apple Watch can detect falls and dial emergency contacts and emergency services if I want. I don’t, so have disabled it.
I disabled crash detection on the phone - I don't want the phone making that kind of decision for me. I carry it in a bag on my back when cycling and my hearing isn't great so if the bag got knocked I might not hear an unnecessary emergency call going out!

(Obviously what will happen now is that I will fall off my bike into a ditch in the middle of nowhere out of sight of the anybody who does happen to pass, and be too badly injured to make a call myself! :whistle:)

going slightly off topic

when I go out riding I enable the Beacon feature on Strava so my wife can see where I am
2 reasons
a) if I am late back she can see where I am and maybe call out the cops to pick up the pieces - or create a Tinder profile - whatever
b) if she gets a message that we are having visitors - such as her son bringing the kids round - then she can see where I am am work out whether or not she should ring me - and/ or can tell them when I am likely to be back

On one occasion I was out on my normal route and I got into a conversation with a woman at my normal stopping point
she was just stopped on her walk as I pulled up to stop on my ride
Just as she left my phone rang and my wife asked where I was:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
which was rather freaky - that is THE ONLY time she has rung me when I am out riding - just after I got talking to a random woman!!

Anyway - turned out that as I was going over the old bridge Strava lost contact with the GPS
some time later it still hadn't found out where I was so assumed total disaster and sent her a text saying I seemed to have been stopped for a long time
or so she said!!!!

to add to the authenticity of her story - over and above her having a stealth drone following me and her noticing me talking to a strange woman - I restarted Strava and it noticed a fault and carried on monitoring the ride - and drew a strait line from my last know position to the new one - which meant my ride indicated that I rode my ebike through the Mersey for a few miles then through several houses and factories until I reached the canal.
Still wonder of teh stealth drone story may be more plausible

anyway - TLDR - Strava has a Beacon feature that will tell your beloved - or other person such as your wife - if you stop for a long time with no excuse
which may be a problem to certain life styles:whistle::whistle:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Does your phone have "emergency mode"? Mine does and dramatically extends battery life while still allowing very basic functions. I have 50% battery at the moment. In emergency mode that will last 4 days and 2 hours.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The thing I like about this is that it does absolutely nothing until YOU dial 999/911/(whatever) and at that point you obviously WOULD want the emergency services to know where you were!

Half the time I don't know where I am within 5-10 km since I plot my routes on the computer and download them to my GPS, which does not have maps on it. If I fell off and injured myself I might just be able to say "somewhere between X and Y".

Even if you DID know where you were, you might black out before you could even speak.

YES to telling emergency services my location; NO to telling the rest of the world! :okay:

Top Bottom