'Emergency Location Service'/'Advanced Mobile Location' on your phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Main reason I use Strava is so that I can see where I have been if I decided to go wandering off down a different road

or 'get lost' as my wife describes it

That is how I have found most of the routes I ride on - wander around and find my way back using 'The Force' then work out a more sensible way of doing it after I get home

SO if I fell off and needed help I would not know where I was sometimes!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We also have registered with this (which I think has been discussed before on CC?) :

http://1firstaid1.co.uk/calling-999-with-no-phone-signal/

Milkfloat

An Peanut
People need a bit of caution in thinking that AML and Emergency Location Service will always help. As I have found out twice in the last few years, not all 999 call centres are setup to use it. I have had serious delays in getting an ambulance because the call centre operator could not locate me and in one case could not even use What3Words, this resulted in me jogging along a road half a mile to a nearby farm in cleats to try to intercept an ambulance that was about to give up and turn around. I would certainly recommend installing 'OS Locate' just in case so at least you can give OS grid references or a Lat/Lon.

https://emergencylocate.co.uk/w3w_aml_blog.html

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Where's Drago when you need him? By post 3 he'd have been telling us about his Nokia model 1 which is so unconnected, you have to plug into a BT socket to make a call. Eeeh, them were the days!

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't even like to "enable location"! Too many people wanting access to your data for their own reasons already. I suppose this must make me miserable sod No 2.

The location on my phone is rarely turned on.

D

Deleted member 1258

The thing I like about this is that it does absolutely nothing until YOU dial 999/911/(whatever) and at that point you obviously WOULD want the emergency services to know where you were!

Half the time I don't know where I am within 5-10 km since I plot my routes on the computer and download them to my GPS, which does not have maps on it. If I fell off and injured myself I might just be able to say "somewhere between X and Y".

Even if you DID know where you were, you might black out before you could even speak.

YES to telling emergency services my location; NO to telling the rest of the world! :okay:

A few years ago I was stung by a wasp and had a severe allergic reaction, a few minutes afterwards I couldn't stand or speak, it was a passing cyclist who rang the ambulance, my phone didn't even get taken out of my saddlebag.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I didn't know I had this on my phone :ohmy:
I didn't either, which is why I started the thread.

It would make sense for the feature to default to ON but I can't remember if it was on or off when I found the menu entry for it.

The one time I tried to make a 999 call I just happened to be on the one part of the Cragg Vale climb that has no phone signal!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I didn't either, which is why I started the thread.

It would make sense for the feature to default to ON but I can't remember if it was on or off when I found the menu entry for it.

The one time I tried to make a 999 call I just happened to be on the one part of the Cragg Vale climb that has no phone signal!
Have you got the text 999 service set up?

Can work when signal strength is too low for calling but enough for texting.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
People need a bit of caution in thinking that AML and Emergency Location Service will always help. As I have found out twice in the last few years, not all 999 call centres are setup to use it. I have had serious delays in getting an ambulance because the call centre operator could not locate me and in one case could not even use What3Words, this resulted in me jogging along a road half a mile to a nearby farm in cleats to try to intercept an ambulance that was about to give up and turn around. I would certainly recommend installing 'OS Locate' just in case so at least you can give OS grid references or a Lat/Lon.

https://emergencylocate.co.uk/w3w_aml_blog.html
I have Memory Map on my phone. It has all the OS maps for the UK and can give me a grid reference. Blimey, the GPS in my new phone is good - I am in the middle of my house but it still locked on to the satellites in less than 5 seconds!

Have you got the text 999 service set up?
No. (Wait for it...)

Er... YES (just)!

Can work when signal strength is too low for calling but enough for texting.
Yes, the phone needs just a quick burst of signal to work on SMS. Bouncing off a plane passing overhead for example?

Top Bottom