Emile Claus cycling route (Ghent, Belgium)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fietslogies

Emile Claus was the most imortant impressionist painter in Belgium. Now the cities of Ghent and Deinze present 2 exhibitions with an overview of his work, in relationship with Belgian contemporaries. There's even a link with London as, during the first world war, he stayed in the British capital and created some superb views on the river Thames.
The cities of Ghent and Deinze are connected now with the Emile Claus cycle route, as the Leie landscape plays a key role in Claus' work. He set up his easel in different locations between Ghent and Deinze and painted several views of the Leie region. The locations that inspired Claus are part of the Emile Claus route, which the museums put together. The map can be obtained for free from both museums and from the offices of Toerisme Oost-Vlaanderen, Toerisme Gent and Toerisme Deinze. The tour is 55 km and can be extended to 70 km or shortened.
http://www.mskgent.be/
Exhibitions from 21st of march to 21st of june 2009.

Regards,
Fietslogies

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm in Gent on April 16th on my mini tour of Flanders so I'll hopefully get to the exhibition.

OP
OP
F

Fietslogies

Only today I was able to visit the exhibition. The way Claus plays with light and paints and gloryfies the rural life is great. However, no cyclists on the paintings. :wacko:
But I was lucky. Around noon the Tour of Flanders passed by the Ghent Museum of Fine Arts. So I got my view from within the museum on 200 colourful cyclists :evil:

Top Bottom