Emma Raducanu, are we ready ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Anyway, when is it time to knock her off her pedestal in true ‘British’ fashion?

This is the thing, it's this building up of some person to be the representative, and repository of all our notions of virtue, and endeavour, and achievement.

Only then to then have them 'taken down a peg or two' if they're seen to be 'getting a bit above themselves'..

That is having opinions, or preferences, personal needs outside of their profession, or even making occasional missteps in what is seen as 'proper' conduct.

I really hope all that doesn't happen to Emma, and that she can just get on with playing good tennis, and enjoying it, but we've seen it so many times before.

The tabloid type press love to dig around making up or exaggerating stories, for their readers prurient judgement, amusement, or titillation .

Wouldn't it be nice if that didn't happen for her??

Good luck with all that Emma :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm sure Emma will regard the Queen's kind words as a stand out moment.
Sure? Do you think you may be projecting just a little?
It seems that the young lady was "extremely honoured and very very grateful" to receive a congratulatory message from Her Majesty, and she is "maybe going to frame that letter or something". BBC link.

Good on her; I hope she enjoys this victory and all that goes with it for a long, long time. Even if she never hits another tennis ball in anger, she is set up for life. Not bad career earnings already, having just left school at the start of the summer!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It seems that the young lady was "extremely honoured and very very grateful" to receive a congratulatory message from Her Majesty, and she is "maybe going to frame that letter or something". BBC link.
Can you imagine the reaction if she said anything else? I don’t know either way, but “maybe” might be doing some hard work in that sentence. Or something.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Can you imagine the reaction if she said anything else? I don’t know either way, but “maybe” might be doing some hard work in that sentence. Or something.
I think both the queen and Ms Raducanu must be aware of the game they are having to play, but let's not forget how that game turns out for some people, notably Naomi Osaka and Simone Biles in the last few months.

Edit: not to mention the things that were said about Raducanu herself at Wimbledon by Piers Morgan and John McEnroe.

Based on that linked clip, her answer was a LOT more enthusiastic than a simple diplomatic response."yes, it was a nice message." would have done the job!

But I'm sure we'll all find our own interpretation ...

I think both the queen and Ms Raducanu must be aware of the game they are having to play, but let's not forget how that game turns out for some people, notably Naomi Osaka and Simone Biles in the last few months.

Edit: not to mention the things that were said about Raducanu herself at Wimbledon by Piers Morgan and John McEnroe.

Morgan was, as usual, a prat. John McEnroe, who has actually been there and done that at the very top level, was 100% right. He knows what he is talking about in this case, and his comments were nothing to do with her gender.

What he said:

“I feel bad for Emma, obviously,” said McEnroe. “It appears it just got a little bit too much, as is understandable, particularly with what we’ve been talking about this over the last six weeks with Osaka not even here.

How much can players handle? It makes you look at the guys that have been around and the girls for so long – how well they can handle it. Hopefully she’ll learn from this experience.”

McEnroe also suggested the late start had contributed to Raducanu’s situation. “I don’t think it helped that the previous match went as long as it did because it made her think about it more,” he added. “That’s a lot to take on, especially when you’ve never been there before.”

What Radacanu said later:

“I was playing the best tennis of my life in front of an amazing crowd this week and I think the whole experience caught up with me”

Not too different in essence. :rolleyes:

Milzy

Guru
Makes me laugh about all these people against foreigners coming to Britain. If they represent the flag though & do well in something they all soon change their tune. Born in Canada, her dad is Canadian Ian. Her mum is Renee who’s Romanian/Chinese. She speaks Mandarin, watches Taiwanese television shows, and is a lover of Romanian cuisine, courtesy of her Bucharest-based grandmother & we all love her 🇨🇦🇨🇳🇹🇩🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧❤️

GM

Legendary Member
Well done Emma.... hope this is not too much off topic but made me laugh..

Top Bottom