Emma Raducanu, are we ready ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Pleased to see our wonderful monarch has sent Emma a message of congratulations.

In the avalanche of praise, I'm sure Emma will regard the Queen's kind words as a stand out moment.

Not sure what she will make of a similar message from Bojo.

But as a well brought up girl from Bromley, she might even be a Tory.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/58533034

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Sure? Do you think you may be projecting just a little? I doubt you have any more idea about her views on the relevance of monarchical bandwagon jumping than I do.

Besides, as a teenager she’d be well advised to avoid the whole family.

Of course it's jolly nice when people say

"Well done - go you"

When you've made a big old effort, and something good came of it -

- And of course we say "Thanks very much for the acknowledgement" to those people.

But I'd imagine that ms Raducanu probs noticed already, that she'd just won the US Open, primarily through her own efforts.

So people - any person saying "Well done" isn't exactly going to be a 'stand out moment' I wouldn't have thought.

I'm sure she has had plenty of people along the way, to graciously thank for the support and encouragement, that has got her to this place

Just winning the thing was a stand out moment.

People noticing it's happened, after the event is hardly earth shattering stuff, is it??

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Sure? Do you think you may be projecting just a little? I doubt you have any more idea about her views on the relevance of monarchical bandwagon jumping than I do.

Besides, as a teenager she’d be well advised to avoid the whole family.

Outside the bitter, twisted, and envious world of some posters on CC, a personal message from the monarch would be a once in a life time moment for the majority of the population.

It's also possible she regards the likes of William and Kate quite highly.

I'm told lots of young people see them as 'cool' or some other word which I wouldn't understand but means the same thing.

Not that I would give her any advice - steer clear or otherwise - other than to say make up your own mind.

That’s a lovely prize pot to walk away with too!
It was a great game, pretty tense at times, but she played well.
I’m not sure how having a plaster time out could have upset anyone….

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Stephen Fry said it well - "A brief flicker of light in a dark world" when she won. And he correctly points out it was nothing to do with sport. Nobody cared if she had strong right forearm or lethal back hand.

With a string of depressing events from 2015 we as nation needed her badly. She was not in the UK, but it became her home. Within the M25 she spent her childhood and made the best of the people that helped her. She got her As in the hard stuff while working on her game.

Not once did she or her parents politicised the game despite so many doing it and she set records along this journey.

I hope she remains the model that we need. Inclusive and not divisive, inspire all not matter who they are and where they come from.

And big thank you to her parents for having faith in this country.

ps. I was surprised HM did not mention her parents

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Outside the bitter, twisted, and envious world of some posters on CC
Not bitter, twisted is maybe for others to judge if that’s their thing, but not envious in the sense I think you mean. I’d like to have a world class sporting talent, but I’d hate everything that goes with doing it for a living.

a personal message from the monarch would be a once in a life time moment for the majority of the population.
Unusual yes, but compared with achieving the title through her own efforts in front of some of the sport’s greats it’s possibly not the “stand out moment”.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I’m not sure how having a plaster time out could have upset anyone….

I couldn't grasp what Fernandez was complaining about, unless it was the time taken to apply a simple dressing.

Emma, I reckon deliberately, pointed out the trickle of blood to everyone when she was at the baseline so there could be no misunderstanding as to why she was taking a time out.

Even then, there were a few jeers from those who initially thought she was pulling a stroke.

Time outs for allegedly tactical rather than genuine reasons have caused some controversy in tennis recently, so that may have played a part in crowd/player reaction.

Unusual yes, but compared with achieving the title through her own efforts in front of some of the sport’s greats it’s possibly not the “stand out moment”.

I said 'a stand out moment', meaning one of several others.

The grand slam will hopefully be the first of many.

Messages from the Queen don't come along so often.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Pleased to see our wonderful monarch has sent Emma a message of congratulations.

In the avalanche of praise, I'm sure Emma will regard the Queen's kind words as a stand out moment.

Not sure what she will make of a similar message from Bojo.

But as a well brought up girl from Bromley, she might even be a Tory.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/58533034
or canadian by birth who moved to the uk and went to a select private school , well done for winning but might be tory , surely went to the right schools .... ( runs and hides ready for the fallout )

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
or canadian by birth who moved to the uk and went to a select private school , well done for winning but might be tory , surely went to the right schools .... ( runs and hides ready for the fallout )

The Queen is also queen of Emma's birthplace, so the message might mean even more to her.

Top Bottom