Employers rights to a copy of your passport or birth certificate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
A few weeks back I received a request by my employer for either a copy of my passport or birth certificate. They gave no explanation as to why they wanted a copy and all 300 odd staff were also asked. Personally I'm sort of inclined to not liking giving such details away and have been reluctant to give it to them. Maybe I'm just "narrow minded and stuck in my ways" kind of guy, and I've held off providing any documentation to them. I've been employed by them for over 10 years as well as father before me ,and felt strongly that I have to prove to them I am who I am. They have my bank details, a copy of my driver's license, and NI number. My attitude to them ,is what more do they want from me to validate I'm a legitimate uk subject.
Today whilst at work I received an aggressive message from HR telling me there still waiting and to get it sorted. They way it was worded really boiled my pee as it was a worded in a rather " teacher talking down to it pupils " context with still no explanation as to why they needed copies.
Tonight I've dug out my birth certificate to show them on Monday and through curiosity did a Google search on the subject.
To my surprise it appears all employers are now required by law to take a photocopy of either your passport or birth certificate..
I can't blame my employer for wanting to work within the law obviously, but I find it very sad that its now come to the stage where all people in the UK have to prove there citizenship. Its a sure fire sign of the times ,where our every move is now monitored by the great establishment..

Last edited:

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm pretty sure that it's been the case for at least a decade that employers are legally required to establish their employees have a right to work in the UK

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I've been asking for donkeys years. Evidence of right to work. Big fines for employers who knowingly or negligently employ those without said right.

That said, there's no statutory requirement to check - providing you feel lucky...

I expect your employer has just realized that they have exposure here.

TVC

This is fairly standard practice globally - prove who you are anf that you have a right to work and receive benefits. Be aware that if an employer is now found to have taken on someone not elegible to work then they can be fined.

What's the problem unless you are trying to shank the system.

Drago

Legendary Member
You've also a right to ask how/where the information will be stored, the purpose for which it is required, and an assurance that the retention will be in accordance with the new data protection legislation that's about to land. Once they've satisfied those questions, particularly the latter, then I'd hand it across.

Of course, neither a passport or a birth certificate automatically indicative of your nationality or right to reside/work, so it's fair and reasonable to politely be asking the above questions.

Article 8 ECHR gives you a right to "private and family life, his home and his correspondence", subject to certain restrictions that are "in accordance with law", so a just and reasonable explanation for requiring sight of these documents is an utterly reasonable thing to request.

classic33

Leg End Member
You've also a right to ask how/where the information will be stored, the purpose for which it is required, and an assurance that the retention will be in accordance with the new data protection legislation that's about to land. Once they've satisfied those questions, particularly the latter, then I'd hand it across.

Of course, neither a passport or a birth certificate automatically indicative of your nationality or right to reside/work, so it's fair and reasonable to politely be asking the above questions.

Article 8 ECHR gives you a right to "private and family life, his home and his correspondence", subject to certain restrictions that are "in accordance with law", so a just and reasonable explanation for requiring sight of these documents is an utterly reasonable thing to request.
Birth Certificates have a disclaimer on them saying they are not a form of ID.

Pointed out to my last employer, who gave up asking.

I still have all the details of everyone employed by them. Such was their approach to data protection.

Stephenite

Membå
If i may be flippant...

Employers over here may, or may not, have been asking their employees for arseprints. No two arses are alike, apparently. Well, not as far as we can tell.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm pretty sure that it's been the case for at least a decade that employers are legally required to establish their employees have a right to work in the UK
As a foreign national I can confirm this has been the case for over 30 years, I had to show my EU passport on applying for a NI number, then numerous times again on applying for jobs.
A UK driving license, btw, is not accepted by some employers, after all one is allowed to drive in the UK even if one is not allowed to work here.
Nothing sinister in your employer's request @johnnyb47, it's just the law.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Since employers can be liable to a fine for employing “illegals”, it seems reasonable to ask for evidence of Id, nationality etc. Unless, you’re employer is a Cabinet Minister in the department responsible for immigration, then, such formalities can be dispensed with, and a visa issued.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Since employers can be liable to a fine for employing “illegals”, it seems reasonable to ask for evidence of Id, nationality etc.
...and refusal to provide same can result in disciplinary procedures up to and including dismissal, even where it is "obvious" that the refusenik has the right to work.

I've had a few over the years.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We do it for everyone including visiting tutors. Thing is our academics don't like rules, bring someone in without paperwork, they do the work, then need paying. Then the fun starts getting the right to work sorted. Nightmare

Top Bottom