Employers rights to a copy of your passport or birth certificate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
...and refusal to provide same can result in disciplinary procedures up to and including dismissal, even where it is "obvious" that the refusenik has the right to work.

I've had a few over the years.
So the key thing is not to refuse. Seek assurances about data security like @Drago said. Far too many banks still use details from the birth certificate for access control and far too many people still give them the true answers instead of making up more secure variants and putting them in a safe (physical or virtual), which makes employee files with scans of passports and birth certificates very attractive targets... and because they're not as valuable to the employer, they're often fairly soft targets compared to the employer's own bank authentication details.

[QUOTE 5206067, member: 259"]My son's employers have just asked all employees for proof of citizenship or right to reside. I'm sure it's just one of the many benefits that Brexit will bring us.[/QUOTE]
Cherching for another gratuitous brexit post. You are aware I take it that in italy, eu founder member, you are obliged ti carry ID at all time and present it to any policeman, of which there are many many overstaffed flavours, on request? I object to this for reasons i hardly need outline. So i don't. If asked for it (and it has been, once recently as a passenger in a car which was stopped for no reason at all) i just plead stupidity/british citizenship.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
So the key thing is not to refuse. Seek assurances about data security like @Drago said. Far too many banks still use details from the birth certificate for access control and far too many people still give them the true answers instead of making up more secure variants and putting them in a safe (physical or virtual), which makes employee files with scans of passports and birth certificates very attractive targets... and because they're not as valuable to the employer, they're often fairly soft targets compared to the employer's own bank authentication details.
Great idea.

Has there been a lot of data theft of employee records?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've been working for 40 years and have never been asked for these documents nor heard of a colleague being asked. Most I have been asked to produce is my driving licence, which wasn't for identification purposes but to prove entitlement to drive.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's MRC led and will result in large fines to a company if right to work hasn't een checked. Be awkward if you like but the company might just be tightening up internal policies as its a big risk area. We get folk that are asked to participate in events, but want cash or vouchers. You then find out they are on benefits and are trying to avoid tax.

We'd be fined if we paid them large sums in vouchers (vouchers are often used as a small gift when someone helps out or volunteers but not when a few hundred pounds of value are requested).

Many companies haven't done the checks and it only takes a HMRC visit.

glasgowcyclist

Have you been with the same employer during that time?

No.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It's MRC led and will result in large fines to a company if right to work hasn't een checked. Be awkward if you like but the company might just be tightening up internal policies as its a big risk area. We get folk that are asked to participate in events, but want cash or vouchers. You then find out they are on benefits and are trying to avoid tax.

We'd be fined if we paid them large sums in vouchers (vouchers are often used as a small gift when someone helps out or volunteers but not when a few hundred pounds of value are requested).

Many companies haven't done the checks and it only takes a HMRC visit.
That is incorrect. Checking isn't a statutory duty. What is an offence is employing workers who do not have the right to work in the UK unless you can establish a statutory defence, which by way of a nice circular argument, means seeing, certifying, copying and retaining copies of original documents.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That is incorrect. Checking isn't a statutory duty. What is an offence is employing workers who do not have the right to work in the UK unless you can establish a statutory defence, which by way of a nice circular argument, means seeing, certifying, copying and retaining copies of original documents.

But paying someone who doesn't have right to work can't be checked without seeing documents. We appy it to all staff

glasgowcyclist

Then those employers, whilst they do not need to check, statutorily, have been taking a chance, and perhaps also leaving themselves open to equality claims.

I'm unable to explain my surprise at this for the time being but will come back to do so once I have retired. Hopefully that will be in 3 years, so not too long!

Top Bottom