Endurance bikes, do they do what it says on the tin.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldun

Regular
Hi all. First post, I’m needing some advice please. I’m just getting into cycling at very advanced years unfortunately. I’ve got a Hybrid for off-road. I’ve also bought a road bike, it’s an Bianchi Freccia Celeste, which I enjoy riding. It was seriously discounted but still not cheap, bought it as I didn’t want to spend too much if I didn’t get on with cycling on the road and would get a decent return if I sold it. I’ve found that I quite enjoy cycling on the road but find the road surfaces a tad challenging at times. Not only in comfort terms but also slowing me down. I read all the internet sites and have picked up that Endurance bikes are probably more suited for our roads. Can anyone advise if they are better in terms of comfort. I’m considering upgrading to a Bianchi Intenso as a possible option, now I know I enjoy the roads. Or would a wheel change on my current bike make the difference, I’ve got 25mm tyres on Fucrum racing 7’s that came with the bike. Thanks in advance.
Ps. I won’t be into road racing of any kind just a few hours in the saddle.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I'm not familiar with the Freccia, can you fit larger volume tyres and run them at lower pressure?
That may give a more comfortable smoother ride.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
What tyre pressures are you running? IIRC my non winter 25s have a recommended pressure of 100 psi which is too hard for me, so I run them at 90. My Marathon+ for winter are taken down to 80 as they are uncomfortable at 90 bar.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Wider tyres, lower pressures. So look for a bike that can take up to say 35mm. A lot of friends now run 28-32mm on their road bikes, increased comfort and can still easily keep up on the club runs.

U

User6179

Endurance bike I think just means a more relaxed geometry ( taller head tube) If you are feeling the road buzz then saddle, bar tape, insoles and tyre pressure as mentioned above is the place to make changes.

OP
OP
O

Oldun

Regular
Thanks all. I run the tyres at 90psi, I’ll drop them to 80 and see how that goes. I’ve just bought some continental tyres that were mega expensive. So not sure I want to buy more just yet, but guess I may have to.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
What tyre pressures are you running? IIRC my non winter 25s have a recommended pressure of 100 psi which is too hard for me, so I run them at 90. My Marathon+ for winter are taken down to 80 as they are uncomfortable at 90 bar.
Snortle..I saw that too, and wondered how long you had left underwater at your current air consumption levels.....

Thanks all. I run the tyres at 90psi, I’ll drop them to 80 and see how that goes. I’ve just bought some continental tyres that were mega expensive. So not sure I want to buy more just yet, but guess I may have to.
I run my 25s at just over 80psi (or what the pressure gague on my particular pump says is) and it's a lot better then when i ran at just over 90. I usually weigh somewhere betwenn 75 and 80 kilos.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
enduance bikes come into their own on longer rides - i have never rode the bikes you have so can't comment on them but i flip from giant propel, focus izalco and a wilier gtr - the first 2 feel good up to 50-60 miles then i start to wiggle about . the wilier i can sit on most the day and do the same the following day - and thats without extra bartape , reduced tyre pressure ,different saddle etc
they all have the same saddles ( charge ) may suit some more than others
i think there is more dampening in the seatpost and rear triangle before you play about with tyre pressure
like i say i can't comment on bikes i haven't ridden but if all endurance bikes are like the wilier then they do what they say , make you feel more comfortable on long rides - but i think the rides have to be long enough to know you usually feel uncomfortable
------ it is cheaper though to put bigger tyres on at lower pressure - a comfortable saddle and padded gloves

so basically i am no help at all - sorry :blush:

Wider tyres are coming back into fashion and for non competative riders that is a good thing. A general purpose UK roadbike use all year round for should really have clearance for 28mm tyres at least, plus mudguard clearance and eyelets. Lower, non racing gears are also beneficial so compact double chainsets are often selected. These are sometimes called winter training bikes or Audax or light touring or endurance bikes. The riding position is really up to you and not the bike so pick a bike that allows you to ride in your chosen position.

Top Bottom