Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Been down & had a play, there is a high level menu which you can scroll left & right using A or B, then once you see the option you want you hold B for 2 seconds, which takes you into the sub-menu, the using A & B to go left & right again & B to go into lower menu. Pressing A for 2 seconds brings you backup a level.

Under the Heading INFO there is an option to JOIN pressing it searched for a HAN which I think is their network for the meters, it then joined, so have to wait an hour or so to see it appears on their website.

it may not been seen on their website until tmrw.......have you rang octopus to ask for a reset on their end. That's what i did and it was up and running within a few minutes from their end

D

Deleted member 26715

it may not been seen on their website until tmrw.......have you rang octopus to ask for a reset on their end. That's what i did and it was up and running within a few minutes from their end

Twitter & Email, both advise they are looking into it, but nothing so far

jowwy

Looks like the energy cap will rise to 3k in April and more targeted support for pensioners and people on low incomes. Yet the price of gas has fallen significantly in the past few months.

1668672916483.png

I attach the news report were it states the drop in gas prices for clarification.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63512583

Alex321

Veteran
Looks like the energy cap will rise to 3k in April and more targeted support for pensioners and people on low incomes.

The energy cap will never be £3K, please don't fall into the trap of describing it that way.

There is no overall cap, and almost certainly never will be. The cap is on price per unit, and the suggestion is that from April the per-unit cap will be such that the AVERAGE BILL will be £3K.

Sorry, but it really gets my goat when the media (and even the government) describe it that way, and then people just repeat it. Too many people think it means what it says, and that they can't be charged more than that overall.

And incidentally, those estimates are now several hundred pounds lower than they were a few months ago - which does somewhat reflect the reduction of wholesale prices for gas.

jowwy

The energy cap will never be £3K, please don't fall into the trap of describing it that way.

There is no overall cap, and almost certainly never will be. The cap is on price per unit, and the suggestion is that from April the per-unit cap will be such that the AVERAGE BILL will be £3K.

Sorry, but it really gets my goat when the media (and even the government) describe it that way, and then people just repeat it. Too many people think it means what it says, and that they can't be charged more than that overall.

And incidentally, those estimates are now several hundred pounds lower than they were a few months ago - which does somewhat reflect the reduction of wholesale prices for gas.

again, im just quoting the news alex.......im not falling into any traps

jowwy

also they are still estimating a rise to 4k....but capping it at 3. .......wholesale gas is now less than what it was before the huge rises, so the price should go back down to pre-april price cap of around £1200 but its not

ps I didnt at any stage, state that this is the maximum people will pay, so please stop making look like i did.....

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
The news article says “ But it's unlikely prices will stay low for long enough to have much effect on bills, analysts say.”

Prices unlikely to fall!

Alex321

Veteran
also they are still estimating a rise to 4k....but capping it at 3. .......wholesale gas is now less than what it was before the huge rises, so the price should go back down to pre-april price cap of around £1200 but its not

ps I didnt at any stage, state that this is the maximum people will pay, so please stop making look like i did.....

No, you didn't, and I have no idea how anything I wrote could be interpreted to suggest you did. But that is how far too many people read it when the media say the cap will be £3K or whatever amount they say.

And by just quoting what the media says, you ARE falling into that trap.

What the media says in their headlines is just WRONG. They shouldn't be allowed to do that, although they usually do then say somewhere in the full text that the cap means average bills will be that amount.

The impression from the headlines is that the cap is on the overall bill, which it isn't. But everybody else then just quotes those figures as well. And that happens to such an extent that it can actually be quite hard to find what the cap per unit really is.

jowwy

No, you didn't, and I have no idea how anything I wrote could be interpreted to suggest you did. But that is how far too many people read it when the media say the cap will be £3K or whatever amount they say.

And by just quoting what the media says, you ARE falling into that trap.

What the media says in their headlines is just WRONG. They shouldn't be allowed to do that, although they usually do then say somewhere in the full text that the cap means average bills will be that amount.

The impression from the headlines is that the cap is on the overall bill, which it isn't. But everybody else then just quotes those figures as well. And that happens to such an extent that it can actually be quite hard to find what the cap per unit really is.

that is what i interpreted as you suggesting that i did

D

Deleted member 26715

@jowwy @Alex321 Just to put this into context, I will be honest I only follow the news on the periphery of my life as I get so angry & anxious about it at the same time, it doesn't do my mental health any good so I try to stay clear.

But when I heard there was a price 'cap' I was very angry as this seemed like another knife in the back for the working man (sorry not PC) by setting a limit where nobody would be charged more, also what was the incentive for anybody to consider their use & try to lower it if it didn't matter once you hit the 'cap'.

It wasn't until I learnt that the 'cap' applied to the mythical average consumer, which I'm not sure still has been explained who they are, I do understand @jowwy you are only posting the very poor BBC journalism which in turn is only reporting the misleading MP's.

The 'cap' is not a 'cap' it does not 'cap' anything, if you use it you will have to pay for it, it is an estimate & as such be reported as that.

Sorry I'll get off my high horse now & go lie down for a while to calm down.

Alex321

Veteran
@jowwy @Alex321 J

The 'cap' is not a 'cap' it does not 'cap' anything, if you use it you will have to pay for it, it is an estimate & as such be reported as that.

It is a cap, but not a cap on your total bill, a cap on the amount per unit that can be charged on their standard variable tariff.

And it isn't even that the cap applies to the "average consumer". It is just that the average bill, given the specified unit price, will be that amount. But of course not very many people are exactly average in their usage, so some will pay less, some will pay more

They really need to change the terminology to a unit price cap. So about a 20% increase on current rates. Gas say another 3p, leccy 6p. :wacko:

Yes, it really should be a requirement that it be reported that way. And the government should also be telling us the unit price cap, not giving out an annual amount that the average customer will pay under that unit price cap.

jowwy

It is a cap, but not a cap on your total bill, a cap on the amount per unit that can be charged on their standard variable tariff.

And it isn't even that the cap applies to the "average consumer". It is just that the average bill, given the specified unit price, will be that amount. But of course not very many people are exactly average in their usage, so some will pay less, some will pay more

Yes, it really should be a requirement that it be reported that way. And the government should also be telling us the unit price cap, not giving out an annual amount that the average customer will pay under that unit price cap.

but no one said it was a cap on your total bill.....at least i didn't.

You and i, due to solar wont pay anywhere near 3k

Alex321

Veteran
but no one said it was a cap on your total bill.....at least i didn't.

You and i, due to solar wont pay anywhere near 3k

I know you didn't. But you have fallen into the media trap of quoting the £3k amount, which MANY people will then assume is a cap on the total bill (as per Phaeton's post above).

You aren't saying it is a cap on total bill, neither are the media. But by talking about a cap and then giving (the average) total bill amount as a headline (without "the average" being stated in the headline), that is how many read it. I think it is fundamentally dishonest of the media (and the government) to state it in that fashion.

And they don't always even make it clear in the text of the article, so it hardly surprising people read it that way.
For instance:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-households-to-pay-more-for-energy-from-april
Never uses the word "average" or mentions unit price.

Thius one is bit better, though the headline is still just as bad
https://metro.co.uk/2022/11/17/cost...energy-price-cap-to-3000-from-april-17775910/

Top Bottom