Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I know you didn't. But you have fallen into the media trap of quoting the £3k amount, which MANY people will then assume is a cap on the total bill (as per Phaeton's post above).

You aren't saying it is a cap on total bill, neither are the media. But by talking about a cap and then giving (the average) total bill amount as a headline (without "the average" being stated in the headline), that is how many read it. I think it is fundamentally dishonest of the media (and the government) to state it in that fashion.

And they don't always even make it clear in the text of the article, so it hardly surprising people read it that way.
For instance:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-households-to-pay-more-for-energy-from-april
Never uses the word "average" or mentions unit price.

Thius one is bit better, though the headline is still just as bad
https://metro.co.uk/2022/11/17/cost...energy-price-cap-to-3000-from-april-17775910/

and how many, of those MANY people do you think are on here??? come on alex your taking issue with something only a few people on here would even consider an issue....

Lets agree to disagree before even more people take umbrage to my posts.....

Alex321

Veteran
and how many, of those MANY people do you think are on here??? come on alex your taking issue with something only a few people on here would even consider an issue....

Lets agree to disagree before even more people take umbrage to my posts.....

I have no idea how many of those people are one here - but some certainly are, as one has posted to that effect above.

It isn't really about agreeing to disagree, I just feel we shouldn't be simply quoting media headlines which are fundamentally misleading. Even if only a few are actually mislead by it, we really shouldn't be propagating that.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have no idea how many of those people are one here - but some certainly are, as one has posted to that effect above.

It isn't really about agreeing to disagree, I just feel we shouldn't be simply quoting media headlines which are fundamentally misleading. Even if only a few are actually mislead by it, we really shouldn't be propagating that.

from what i have seen and read...i think the issue around the wording is more your issue, as you stated in your first post, than any one else's

But again agre to disagree

this is what you said and no one else has said the same, but probably will now just because i have said that

1668695479284.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've heard a couple of people at work say they will be using as much energy as they want this winter with the £2500 cap in place.
I did try to explain but I don't think they believed me :rolleyes:

Good god, they will get a hammering - they obviously can't be reading their meters often.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've heard a couple of people at work say they will be using as much energy as they want this winter with the £2500 cap in place.
I did try to explain but I don't think they believed me :rolleyes:
I suspect they are not alone, it's very bad spin

si_c

Guru
We should start taxing idiocy imo .😁

Is this not that?

Alex321

Veteran
Top Bottom