Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
Seems to be rewarding profligate users , rather than those who already keep their usage frugal.

It’s rewarding reduced usage at peak times so yes, it’s benefiting those who do not habitually manage their energy usage well but if it incentivises better and more thoughtful usage then bring it on!

D

Deleted member 26715

Wasnt it something like £3 a unit they were offering???
I think it was in the region of £3 per KWh saved
Ah okay, so they saved just under 5kWh's presumably it was in their meal time which they pushed back, pulled forward or ordered a takeaway

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ah okay, so they saved just under 5kWh's presumably it was in their meal time which they pushed back, pulled forward or ordered a takeaway
I think the £3/kWh was what octopus got and the amount for participants was a bit less, but even so, 5kWh in an hour is our heat pump running full tilt and the grill on full, for the whole hour.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This lovely lamp we have on our landing. It drops down about 4 feet but its over the stairs. Came with halogens rated 20w each (times 9 :ohmy:). As well as power we got heat, and a couple of bulbs kept blowing. Decided to punt up for LED replacements a year ago that are about £4 each. Now using 18w and not 180w and no heat. We've had a couple of LEDs fail in the year, which negates some of the saving.

Just bought two replacements, both failed within an hour or two. £8. Took them back and ordered a cheap set off Amazon for roughly £1:20 each. These haven't failed yet.

These modern LEDs aren't cheap, but should outlast standard bulbs. It's currently on all evening, so would have been 30p for roughly 5 hours use, now 3p.

20221119_175613.jpg

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’s rewarding reduced usage at peak times so yes, it’s benefiting those who do not habitually manage their energy usage well but if it incentivises better and more thoughtful usage then bring it on!

I’m not sure it is, it’s just shifting demand rather than reducing it. A tiered rate that climbs exponentially with usage would more push their usage down.

D

Deleted member 26715

This time of year it would help me if they allowed me to charge my battery mid afternoon then I could use it through the peak period, somewhat niche I know.

midlife

Guru
Daughter has moved flat in the North East, now above a hairdressers. The rent has gone up with the move by £100 a month and the energy companies want to charge £300 a month for dual fuel.

Do energy companies set their DD high to start off with with new customers in case they fail to pay? As the bill falls for me to pay I wondered if we could negotiate down after a couple of months paying.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Daughter has moved flat in the North East, now above a hairdressers. The rent has gone up with the move by £100 a month and the energy companies want to charge £300 a month for dual fuel.

Do energy companies set their DD high to start off with with new customers in case they fail to pay? As the bill falls for me to pay I wondered if we could negotiate down after a couple of months paying.

Cant you switch the DD to pay on bill like i do…….so you only pay for what she uses and doesnt accrue credit for which they will receive the interest on

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

That's madness for a flat. I'd be sending monthly readings and get it negotiated down. 3 bed house with 4 adults, two gaming PC's, two WFH some of the time, and we're £200 a month

midlife

Guru
That's madness for a flat. I'd be sending monthly readings and get it negotiated down. 3 bed house with 4 adults, two gaming PC's, two WFH some of the time, and we're £200 a month

Thanks, I'll do that. Her previous flats have had a pay as you go meter so never had to pay an energy company before so no history.

Top Bottom