Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

There is no total cap such as you posit here. Bills can and will go well beyond £4,300 for many.
It's quite frightening how this whole thing has been handled & published

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
There is no total cap such as you posit here. Bills can and will go well beyond £4,300 for many.

There is no actual £4300 ofgem rate, as its being capped by the UK government at £3000, so it just means the energy companies will set the rate for £4300, government will pay the difference between that rate and the rate for £3000

Something like that anyway

tom73

Guru
It's quite frightening how this whole thing has been handled & published

That's the problem talk and reporting of "typical household" is meaningless to most people. Cost per uint is not idea without a simple easy to use well published and promoted easy online calculator. As with everything else the it's one at the very bottom that will be effected most but have little place to go to deal with it.

Alex321

Veteran
There is no actual £4300 ofgem rate, as its being capped by the UK government at £3000, so it just means the energy companies will set the rate for £4300, government will pay the difference between that rate and the rate for £3000

Something not very like that, in spite of what we keep getting told.

There is NO cap on overall bill. It isn't £3000 or £4300 or anything else.

And the"actual OFGEM rate" is the one which means a "typical" household would pay £4300. The Energy Price Guarantee is the government set value - and you are right that the government will pay the energy companies the difference between the EPG and the OFGEM rate.

This "typical" household is just based on the median value across the country of usage (dual fuel), and the average EPG unit price (the actual unit price will vary by region, hence using the average).

For actually predicting what most people are likely to pay, the median is slightly better than the mean, but the mode would have been even better.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

No no no, there’s no cap of this sort at all. There’s just a cap on the unit rate, no overall cap on bills.

D

Deleted member 26715

It would be far better if this "typical" household was quantified, the "typical" household uses X amount of Electricity per year the "typical" household uses X amount of Gas per year, as it it is it's just numbers in the sky.

jowwy

No no no, there’s no cap of this sort at all. There’s just a cap on the unit rate, no overall cap on bills.

i said rate around 3 times in that post lol

jowwy

Something not very like that, in spite of what we keep getting told.

There is NO cap on overall bill. It isn't £3000 or £4300 or anything else.

And the"actual OFGEM rate" is the one which means a "typical" household would pay £4300. The Energy Price Guarantee is the government set value - and you are right that the government will pay the energy companies the difference between the EPG and the OFGEM rate.

This "typical" household is just based on the median value across the country of usage (dual fuel), and the average EPG unit price (the actual unit price will vary by region, hence using the average).

For actually predicting what most people are likely to pay, the median is slightly better than the mean, but the mode would have been even better.

again i never said there was and i did say rate around four times in the post......

jowwy

You never mentioned "unit rate", and without the "unit", the word rate has little meaning in that context.

oh ffs - seriously........come on alex, thats not picking to the enth degree, just to make it look like im wrong and your right.......your as bad as the government themselves.

yet you stated this " and you are right that the government will pay the energy companies the difference between the EPG and the OFGEM rate."

tell me were you state UNIT RATE in that sentence??? no, you used the word rate, the same as me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Energy Trust publishes the 'averages' and it's on most Energy supplier's web sites - you can compare here how you are doing. We're low gas, but high electric based upon consumption.

tom73

Guru
It would be far better if this "typical" household was quantified, the "typical" household uses X amount of Electricity per year the "typical" household uses X amount of Gas per year, as it it is it's just numbers in the sky.

Even better make energy companies send out personal customer annual cost forecast in plain english and clear to understand information and format.

Energy companies have been warned against increasing direct debit to people who have actually cut their usage

There do seem to be constant articles in the press showing people who have had their DD raised in spite of using less than the previous DD paid for, including allowances for winter usage and all that

Does provoke suspicion that some energy companies want to put some money in their bank rather than their customer's

Top Bottom