Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
It’s not a rate then is it?

first line - what does it say - let me tell you for the short sighted......."THERE IS NO ACTUAL £4300 OFGEM RATE"

1669642898353.png

Yes, at 07:57. I'm not sure what time the announcement came that it would now be extended to 2024, but I expect it was later in the day than that ^_^

EDIT - Having read the text, no they don't still have 2023 anyhow?

They say (rightly) that it will be raised to £3,000 from next April.

It's all very confusing.

I would have thought there would be plenty of news if it's been extended by a whole year? But this is all I could find.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Make your mind up 🤣

Yes they will set a RATE...so that the use of the average household would be £4300, not a rate of £4300.....i explicitly said set a rate FOR and not a rate OF....both words have different meanings

so the rate maybe 37p/kwh electric and 12p/kwh gas.....so the average cost would then be £4300 , or it maybe 39p/kwh electric and 13p/kwh gas

no one knows yet, but it will not be the MAXIMUM someone pays, it just an AVERAGE household bill

1669643252325.png

chris-suffolk

There is quite a bit of 'naughtiness' going on with suppliers. Heard a few customers have been switched to prepayment via smart meters, debt chasing has got aggressive, and one that's affecting lots of us, we can't reduce our DD's even though we've cut energy use and are massively in credit.

Octopus allow me to move my DD up or down, monthly, as I wish. They even send me an e-mail each month reminding me that my DD is due, how much it will be and linking to a page where I can alter the amount up or down. Can't really say fairer than that.

toffee

Guru
Energy companies have been warned against increasing direct debit to people who have actually cut their usage

There do seem to be constant articles in the press showing people who have had their DD raised in spite of using less than the previous DD paid for, including allowances for winter usage and all that

Does provoke suspicion that some energy companies want to put some money in their bank rather than their customer's

I had this argument with Scottish Power. They are setting DD's based on historical usage which for 95% of customers is a load of rubbish as most people are cutting their consumption.

They should build into their calculations an estimate of what customers are reducing their usage by. They use have some useful data of the reductions customers are achieving.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had this argument with Scottish Power. They are setting DD's based on historical usage which for 95% of customers is a load of rubbish as most people are cutting their consumption.

They should build into their calculations an estimate of what customers are reducing their usage by. They use have some useful data of the reductions customers are achieving.

Same issue, SP not letting me reduce and I am overpaying by £100 a month :ohmy:

Got two mini breaks in April, so I'll withdraw it all then :blush: Found the secret option burried within their web site to request your balance back.

D

Deleted member 26715

Octopus allow me to move my DD up or down, monthly, as I wish. They even send me an e-mail each month reminding me that my DD is due, how much it will be and linking to a page where I can alter the amount up or down. Can't really say fairer than that.
I've only just gone back to Octopus so can't say if things have changed (August), but in the past they controlled the amount of the DD to a degree, I remember being in credit by more than 2 months worth, but they would not let me drop it below a certain number

tom73

Guru
Same issue, SP not letting me reduce and I am overpaying by £100 a month :ohmy:

Got two mini breaks in April, so I'll withdraw it all then :blush: Found the secret option burried within their web site to request your balance back.

Most let you get back they just don't like talking about it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It would be fairer if the email arrived in time to lower this month's DD, not only from next month.

Petrichorwheels

It would be fairer if the email arrived in time to lower this month's DD, not only from next month.

You can tinker with the DD any time you want. You don't need permission. Octopus very good in my experience. Have only ever lowered mine, never been disputed.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You can tinker with the DD any time you want. You don't need permission. Octopus very good in my experience. Have only ever lowered mine, never been disputed.
Yes, but the point I am making is that if you adjust the DD after getting their monthly email, it's too late to change the current month's payment. The change only takes effect for the next month.

Octopus are good, and very good compared to $-hell, but even they could still be fairer.

chris-suffolk

Yes, but the point I am making is that if you adjust the DD after getting their monthly email, it's too late to change the current month's payment. The change only takes effect for the next month.

Octopus are good, and very good compared to $-hell, but even they could still be fairer.

The email arrived a few days back, payment is taken on the 4th, so time to alter for next month if I want, they ask for 5 days, and I had 8 or 9.

Top Bottom