Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
anyone signed up to the octopus saving session today between 5:30 and 6:30pm???

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes, but as they are not getting meter readings from us & it's greyer than a grey day that's grey outside with zero panel generation unless we go out for food which will cost us more than we would save it's a little pointless in that respect.

jowwy

I have but I face rebellion from the household seeing as the first go only saved us 2p.

i saved zero first time and then 0.17kwh the second time, getting me 31p.........today im going to put the big tv, sky box on the solar generator and make sue all lights are switched off

Also going to start using the gas pizza oven out on the deck more......electric oven costs a fortune to run

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, but as they are not getting meter readings from us & it's greyer than a grey day that's grey outside with zero panel generation unless we go out for food which will cost us more than we would save it's a little pointless in that respect.
How did you wangle that? My signup was rejected due to missing readings, even though they looked complete to me at first glance

D

Deleted member 26715

How did you wangle that? My signup was rejected due to missing readings, even though they looked complete to me at first glance

No idea, I followed the link & said I'd join, they know they're not getting readings as I've raised it via both email & twatter.

jowwy

there's another octopus saving session today at 17:00pm until 18:00pm.....

Petrichorwheels

there's another octopus saving session today at 17:00pm until 18:00pm.....

You can't cram much into an hour.
How much do you actually save?
Timing seems curious, can't help wondering if a marketing gimmick though am with Octopus and like* - don't have a smartmeter though.
* They have been sending old folks (doesn't include me) free decent electric blankets for lounging in.

jowwy

Timing seems curious, can't help wondering if a marketing gimmick though am with Octopus and like* - don't have a smartmeter though.
* They have been sending old folks (doesn't include me) free decent electric blankets for lounging in.

They pay you £2.25 per kwh saved and denominations there of down the scale......31p made last session, so that pays for 1kwh of leccy and i only lowered my usage by 0.170kwh ( approx)

As a famous grocery store keeps saying "every little helps"

I think that's the point.
If they're asking you to go without electricity for the evening - who would do that ?
This is just taking the peak off the demand.

Start cooking after 6pm instead of on the dot of 5.

Why so suspicious?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bills are creeping up.

Electricity up by about £1 a day, but gas now £3.50 a day. So leccy currently £160 per month and gas has just hit £100 - we've had the heating on all day this week as we're not well !

D

Deleted member 26715

I think that's the point.
If they're asking you to go without electricity for the evening - who would do that ?
This is just taking the peak off the demand.

Start cooking after 6pm instead of on the dot of 5.

Why so suspicious?

I think it's just an experiment to see what people are prepared to do, I would think that the peak time is 4pm until 7pm & they are trying to come up with a way to encourage people to consider their usage between those hours. If they can reduce the peak, then presumably they can refrain from building the network up further, or at least in the short term.

However the cynic may say they are also experimenting as to when they put the high rates in to curb demand via Smart meters

I think it's just an experiment to see what people are prepared to do, I would think that the peak time is 4pm until 7pm & they are trying to come up with a way to encourage people to consider their usage between those hours. If they can reduce the peak, then presumably they can refrain from building the network up further, or at least in the short term.

However the cynic may say they are also experimenting as to when they put the high rates in to curb demand via Smart meters

Perhaps a bit earlier.

I see no problem with shifting demand. This is why I charge the EV when it's 7.5p per kWh.

daily-demand-copyright-2011-national-grid-plc-all-rights-reserved.jpg

Top Bottom