Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
look at what i put in brackets
There is no standard.

gbb

Legendary Member
I really must kick myself into being more detailed in analysis of our billing / usage but overall, the results of our latest changes are very positive.
Since last months combined bill of circa £170
Pros...New very efficient boiler, new heat pump tumble drier. We're still actively trying to reduce usage wherever we reasonably can
Cons...another person now in the household, more gas, more electric used. Its also getting colder, the heating has been on a but more, ditto the washing is now requiring energy to dry it.
This months combined bill £131.

Thats a big result , very cood considering there must inevitably be more usage and unit costs have gone up.

So a very rough average, we are paying £9 a week , duh, £16, for gas, same for electic. Thats actually not bad at all.

A small gripe....the new boiler is so efficient we have lost the residual /waste heat that kept the cold edge off the house temps, allowing us to use the heating less.
Now, the house is naturally colder, requiring us to put the boiler on sooner than we would.

Its 6 and 2 threes, we will gain that and more back in the warmer months.

Last edited:
Today we took the step of doing something with the £400 energy rebate that is coming our way. We made a donation of £200 to a local food bank and another £200 to a local women’s aid group.

Why?

We are on a very good fixed rate and have a good household income so simply do not need the energy rebate. As there is no way to refuse it we have passed it on to good causes where it will help those less fortunate.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Anyone got any energy monitoring plugs??? are they any good?? whats the apps like?? etc etc

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anyone got any energy monitoring plugs??? are they any good?? whats the apps like?? etc etc

TP Link Tapo P110 plugs. Got 6 now. Impressed TBH. Small and dead easy to pair up. Energy monitoring good, and the app's been updated with unit price, so you pop that in and can sync it across all plugs so you enter it once. Gives current use and history. Been useful to see what the TV uses, and the heating in the conservatory - that's hitting my use at the moment - got the oil radiator on pretty low, and just boost the heat with a fan heater first thing. The radiator is cycling through 900w but you can see it's actually on about 30 minutes in every 60.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Example of the TP Link Plug power monitoring of the Conservatory power use. Fan heater abd radiator on about 8:15, then the radiator takes till 10ish to get to temperature.

All oth other timer schedules etc.

Screenshot_20221202-120146_Tapo.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

Obviously this would be more use to people with batteries & smart meters, but these energy saving hours that are being offered, I wonder what the effect would be if they offered something similar to E7 for 2 hours early in the afternoon.

People could charge their batteries & then use that through the the 4pm to 7pm peak, people without batteries could potentially cook their food earlier & just need to warm it back up for their meal time.

jowwy

TP Link Tapo P110 plugs. Got 6 now. Impressed TBH. Small and dead easy to pair up. Energy monitoring good, and the app's been updated with unit price, so you pop that in and can sync it across all plugs so you enter it once. Gives current use and history. Been useful to see what the TV uses, and the heating in the conservatory - that's hitting my use at the moment - got the oil radiator on pretty low, and just boost the heat with a fan heater first thing. The radiator is cycling through 900w but you can see it's actually on about 30 minutes in every 60.

top man...willl look into those....

are all plugs on one app??

jowwy

Obviously this would be more use to people with batteries & smart meters, but these energy saving hours that are being offered, I wonder what the effect would be if they offered something similar to E7 for 2 hours early in the afternoon.

People could charge their batteries & then use that through the the 4pm to 7pm peak, people without batteries could potentially cook their food earlier & just need to warm it back up for their meal time.

yup - i have a solar generator. so last night at 5, i plugged the tv, sky q and internet into that and basically only the fridge freezer was running off leccy for that hour....

Top Bottom