Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Obviously this would be more use to people with batteries & smart meters, but these energy saving hours that are being offered, I wonder what the effect would be if they offered something similar to E7 for 2 hours early in the afternoon.

People could charge their batteries & then use that through the the 4pm to 7pm peak, people without batteries could potentially cook their food earlier & just need to warm it back up for their meal time.

That has got to be a tiny percentage of the population though ? I doubt it would make much of a dent.

Had my solar panels survey today - good news is I can get 12 on the roof, bad news is it will be 2023 now.
Oh well moving in the right direction anyway.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Sadly not thread or matter supported.

Need to explain this comment???

I asked fossy if the plugs were supported all in one app, to which he answered yes, along with the bulbs and cameras. Now the app supports energy monitoring, which in turn helps you to understand how much things cost and then in turn helps support money saving decisions based on those cost….therefore reducing energy bills.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Need to explain this comment???

I asked fossy if the plugs were supported all in one app, to which he answered yes, along with the bulbs and cameras. Now the app supports energy monitoring, which in turn helps you to understand how much things cost and then in turn helps support money saving decisions based on those cost….therefore reducing energy bills.
https://www.threadgroup.org/BUILT-FOR-IOT/Smart-Home explains thread.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/smart-home/news/156992-what-is-matter-smart-home-standard explains matter.

Basically, tapo are non standard and don't really talk to other things, an evolutionary dead end. You can't easily use them as part of a general smart home system. Officially, it's their app or nothing. Their app isn't going to talk to your electric supplier and automatically switch things off during a "saving session" or similar, like a smart home system can.

Although someone has worked out how to operate them from Python, so maybe someone has made or will make a translator or gateway.

jowwy

https://www.threadgroup.org/BUILT-FOR-IOT/Smart-Home explains thread.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/smart-home/news/156992-what-is-matter-smart-home-standard explains matter.

Basically, tapo are non standard and don't really talk to other things, an evolutionary dead end. You can't easily use them as part of a general smart home system. Officially, it's their app or nothing. Their app isn't going to talk to your electric supplier and automatically switch things off during a "saving session" or similar, like a smart home system can.

Although someone has worked out how to operate them from Python, so maybe someone has made or will make a translator or gateway.

I never said they would talk to my supplier or switch things off…..i can do that myself. But they will inform me of energy usage. Which is what i require.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I really must kick myself into being more detailed in analysis of our billing / usage but overall, the results of our latest changes are very positive.
Since last months combined bill of circa £170
Pros...New very efficient boiler, new heat pump tumble drier. We're still actively trying to reduce usage wherever we reasonably can
Cons...another person now in the household, more gas, more electric used. Its also getting colder, the heating has been on a but more, ditto the washing is now requiring energy to dry it.
This months combined bill £131.

Thats a big result , very cood considering there must inevitably be more usage and unit costs have gone up.

So a very rough average, we are paying £9 a week , duh, £16, for gas, same for electic. Thats actually not bad at all.

A small gripe....the new boiler is so efficient we have lost the residual /waste heat that kept the cold edge off the house temps, allowing us to use the heating less.
Now, the house is naturally colder, requiring us to put the boiler on sooner than we would.

Its 6 and 2 threes, we will gain that and more back in the warmer months.

Take a look at your insulation. Our house drops about 1C over 9 hours before the control timed set temperature kicks the heating back in. It then only has to raise temperature 1C, then the radiators continue pumping out enough heat until the timed temp goes back to 7C (frost setting) about an hour before we go to bed.

Monthly Bills still under £80 for both gas and electric

jowwy

Take a look at your insulation. Our house drops about 1C over 9 hours before the control timed set temperature kicks the heating back in. It then only has to raise temperature 1C, then the radiators continue pumping out enough heat until the timed temp goes back to 7C (frost setting) about an hour before we go to bed.

Monthly Bills still under £80 for both gas and electric

So your house is only 7c????

and as the standing charge for electric on gas is circa £30 you say your only pay an extra £50 usage of electric and gas, therfore only £12.50 a week for dual fuel???
are you on some sort of fixed super rate still???

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I never said they would talk to my supplier or switch things off…..i can do that myself. But they will inform me of energy usage. Which is what i require.
Why waste your time on boring things which can be automated? But anyway, that's why some people want standards support. That, and you never know when tapo will discontinue their app, but there will probably be thread and matter ones for longer.

jowwy

Why waste your time on boring things which can be automated? But anyway, that's why some people want standards support. That, and you never know when tapo will discontinue their app, but there will probably be thread and matter ones for longer.

But i dont want automation, i never asked for that in my post. I dont own a pc or rapsberry etc etc to run the automation on….

Top Bottom