Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Bill, gas and electricity, for the last month has just come in at £81.81. It’s accurate as we have smart meters. I work from home ar 50 to 60% of the time and there is at least one washing machine cycle per day. My wife also enjoys cooking and baking so the oven gets above average use.

At what unit rate??? And standing charge?..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
At what external temperature? That can make a difference.

3C

jowwy

As I say, I was fortunate when I fixed the latest deal for two years.

But in late 2023 when that runs out…..you will move to 40p/kwh electric and 15p/kwh gas. That will be the approx capped unit rate until april 2024….

so get ready for a shock in mid/late 2023

Scaleyback

Veteran
Take a look at your insulation. Our house drops about 1C over 9 hours before the control timed set temperature kicks the heating back in. It then only has to raise temperature 1C, then the radiators continue pumping out enough heat until the timed temp goes back to 7C (frost setting) about an hour before we go to bed.

Monthly Bills still under £80 for both gas and electric

A 1C drop over 9 hours seems extremely low but without internal and external starting temperatures surely it is meaningless ? The rate of heat loss is determined by the difference between indoor and outdoor temps and of course can be mitigated by insulation. Ergo, your 1C drop over 9 hours could be from a starting temp of outdoor 3C & indoor 4C which to me is entirely reasonable. But if the outdoor temp is 3C and the indoor 20C ? now that would be impressive.

But in late 2023 when that runs out…..you will move to 40p/kwh electric and 15p/kwh gas. That will be the approx capped unit rate until april 2024….

so get ready for a shock in mid/late 2023

I’m well aware and unconcerned. We live well within our means at present and have done the projections.

Reactions: gbb

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A 1C drop over 9 hours seems extremely low but without internal and external starting temperatures surely it is meaningless ? The rate of heat loss is determined by the difference between indoor and outdoor temps and of course can be mitigated by insulation. Ergo, your 1C drop over 9 hours could be from a starting temp of outdoor 3C & indoor 4C which to me is entirely reasonable. But if the outdoor temp is 3C and the indoor 20C ? now that would be impressive.

Indoor 18C, outdoor 3C

jowwy

Until then he's paid £5k less than me for energy, I wouldn't mind that shock lol

But hes going to paying a lot more than he is now, thats the shock im getting at….

and is he paying 5k less than you???? If his bills are £80 for next 10mths lets say, thats £800…..Are you saying you dual fuel bill for that same period is £5800 or £580 a month

or are you saying over his 2yr fixed period???

Last edited:
But hes going to paying a lot more than he is now, thats the shock im getting at….
It is only a shock if you are not expecting it. 🙂

I’m in a very comfortable position at the moment and will still be in one even with the protected rates at the end of 2023 and into 2024.

I’m aware I am fortunate and have standing orders going off to a number of good causes each month as a result.

jowwy

It is only a shock if you are not expecting it. 🙂

I’m in a very comfortable position at the moment and will still be in one even with the protected rates at the end of 2023 and into 2024.

I’m aware I am fortunate and have standing orders going off to a number of good causes each month as a result.

Good on you for doing that…….but even at those rates, your usage is very low and well below the average.

Top Bottom