Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
156.3 kWh used in the last month so I guess it possibly is.

All lighting has been changed over to LED and lights are set to switch off when there is no one in a room. Mostly everything else used is at the more efficient end of their energy rating.

Thats still only 5kwh a day, which is pretty low, especially as your wife likes to bake as you say…..you got any solar???

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
That makes more sense now……:okay:

I should add that the control sits in the hall, so in our main living spaces it will be nearer 18C or a bit more first thing and evening.

jowwy

None. Looking at the Smart Meter data it low all week and peaks at the weekend. though not at work we are seldom in at the weekend but it’s when my wife bakes.

Hey good on you for keeping it that low…..we use around 3/4kwh a day, but subsidise it with solar and i work from home and partner is retired.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I’m well aware and unconcerned. We live well within our means at present and have done the projections.

We've really slashed electric use. Gas is now 3x more expensive than it was last year, electricity about double. THat's what you've got to watch.

Our gas was, on average, just £40-£45pm over the year - It's gone to over £120pm average and that's a heat efficient house and we score low on the Energy Trust.

We have two young adults who 'game' on PC's that are an energy disaster. They just don't get the cost. It's a third of our electric use - it's a nightmare - I'm sounding like my dad and FIL about it, I'm not too bothered about all the LED bulbs on lights now, but leaving a machine to idle is 200w on my sons monster machine ! General browsing etc, on a desktop is crazy - this is why is't useful getting a power monitoring plug for less than £10. At peak, the work laptops, plus two monitors and a powered hub are 40-45w, a 5th of a desktop with a gaming graphics card.

jowwy

We've really slashed electric use. Gas is now 3x more expensive than it was last year, electricity about double. THat's what you've got to watch.

Our gas was, on average, just £40-£45pm over the year - It's gone to over £120pm average and that's a heat efficient house and we score low on the Energy Trust.

We have two young adults who 'game' on PC's that are an energy disaster. They just don't get the cost. It's a third of our electric use - it's a nightmare - I'm sounding like my dad and FIL about it, I'm not too bothered about all the LED bulbs on lights now, but leaving a machine to idle is 200w on my sons monster machine ! General browsing etc, on a desktop is crazy - this is why is't useful getting a power monitoring plug for less than £10. At peak, the work laptops, plus two monitors and a powered hub are 40-45w, a 5th of a desktop with a gaming graphics card.

My electric is 3.3x more than last year…we was fixed at 10.1p/kwh…..now 33.47p
our gas is also 3.3x more as we was fixed at 3p/kwh…..now 10.71p

its crazy how the prices have gone….and in april its going to be circa 40p and 14p a kwh

on too of that is the increases in standard charges. My blood is boiling just typing this out.

fossyant

Mine is set at 18.5c….so it comes on at 18c and switches off at 19c.

We've got the radiators off in our room and my sons - he's got the bloody window open, ours has the main heating pipes under the floor, and only daughter's room gets cool. The bathroom has the radiator on. Downstairs it's just a big lounge rad, medium sized in the kitchen, and a tiny one in the downstairs loo.

Heating is set around 17/18 (not digital).

Using the conservatory is adding to heating cost, but I've no other space - the shed office currently has stuff in it from MIL's old house.

The Tapo plugs have told me the Xmas lights we have taken from MIL's house are very in-efficient - 180w for two so they will be 'retired' after use this year.

fossyant

My electric is 3.3x more than last year…we was fixed at 10.1p/kwh…..now 33.47p
our gas is also 3.3x more as we was fixed at 3p/kwh…..now 10.71p

its crazy how the prices have gone….and in april its going to be circa 40p and 14p a kwh

on too of that is the increases in standard charges. My blood is boiling just typing this out.

It's really going to affect people badly. We can afford it, many can't and whilst I'd be happy to run a cooler house (I sleep on top of the covers in mid winter) my wife/daughter feel the cold. But we've had to really reduce use electric wise due to the cost, just because it would have been crippling. Hot tub has been off - just madness now, I'll refill and have it in use over Christmas, but that's it - the cost for a week might be about £100 given current prices - mainly for Xmas day, getting chlorine right, then having neice's kids round. :sad:

I have a feeling the caravan site's electric will be insane next year as it's a business - we got charged about 16p a Kwh for last year, will be north of 40p, possibly double that.

jowwy

It's really going to affect people badly. We can afford it, many can't and whilst I'd be happy to run a cooler house (I sleep on top of the covers in mid winter) my wife/daughter feel the cold. But we've had to really reduce use electric wise due to the cost, just because it would have been crippling. Hot tub has been off - just madness now, I'll refill and have it in use over Christmas, but that's it - the cost for a week might be about £100 given current prices - mainly for Xmas day, getting chlorine right, then having neice's kids round. :sad:

I have a feeling the caravan site's electric will be insane next year as it's a business - we got charged about 16p a Kwh for last year, will be north of 40p, possibly double that.

Yeh agree on all that…..didnt even set our hot Tub up this year, but may do next year now we got the solar panels fitted, but not decided yet.

fossyant

Yeh agree on all that…..didnt even set our hot Tub up this year, but may do next year now we got the solar panels fitted, but not decided yet.

Ours is pumped up, with water full of chlorine - water temp 8c. Just need to drain down and put the pump unit inside. Chlorine doesn't disperse at lower temperatures, i.e. 20 or below. If 'hot' it does, but if not, it get's concentrated s never use a decomissioned tub for a few days until the chlorine dies down.

tom73

Guru

Your right about site fees many have and will come next year increase due to electric costs. CMC this year came back for more money on bookings months before due to costs.
More are moving to pay as you go and more are looking at moving to down to 10 amp.
We are looking at more off grid sites next year some sites are already silly money without electric increase. Your hit in the pocket at home and when you’re away just can’t win. 🙁

Last edited:

jowwy

That seems a very imprecise thermostat ? My Hive stat is set at 18.5C and fires the heating up when the stat falls to 18.4C and keeps the desired temp very accurately.

I have it set at plus/minus 5 degrees…….i like it that way

Top Bottom