Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Well one colleague at work is doing very well...
Lucasz is remarkably inventive (and quite anal at times) He's invested in solar panels, quite a lot of them apparently, the batteries he's used to store power alone cost iro £3k
His last monthly electric bill £8 :ohmy::laugh::becool:...yes, £8! :laugh:

I say quite anal, he brought another colleagues 2001 Octavia TDI, he regularly gets 70 plus mpg out of it, but he drives at odds with almost everyone else (50mph on the motorway for instance) if his wife turns on something g...he knows, rings her and asks what she is doing :laugh:(Her words)

Mine has gone from £90 around a year ago - to £225 per month i. Thankfully no mortgage - but with 3 adults WFH its going to get expensive.

OldShep

Über Member
I season my wood for at least 18 months before it’s ready to burn. Can’t see it taking much less anywhere else in the UK.

Where does this prohibition on using a chainsaw come from? I appreciate we have different laws in our respective countries but it would be good to know.

Up here you can (or at least could) get a brashing licence to take fallen timber from specified forestry commission areas. I get enough from my own trees or neighbours wanting rid of theirs to keep my supply going.

It’s been 40 yrs since I hade a brashing licence something like 50pence a year.
More recently when I was still working I used to buy up end of stacks but the FC made it very clear I wasn’t to use a chainsaw unless I had a CS licence and appropriate insurance . Thankfully i had a fore end loader at my disposal.

An advert popped up on my screen advertising a local fitness gym . It then occurred to me that with all of the energy price rises that they are going to be hit by people not attending or cancelling their membership due to the rising costs . A bit of a change to a few years ago when they started springing up all around our town .

gbb

Legendary Member
An advert popped up on my screen advertising a local fitness gym . It then occurred to me that with all of the energy price rises that they are going to be hit by people not attending or cancelling their membership due to the rising costs . A bit of a change to a few years ago when they started springing up all around our town
Many businesses like this might suffer as people make hard (you could argue easy) choices.
Pampering (nails, cosmetics), luxury services of any kind, all sorts.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I submit monthly utility readings to BG. Did this earlier today and got a gobsmacking bill of £331.52 - double what I expected. I couldn't fathom it online so had to print and check every bill since December 1st. I've paid everything BG requested. What I didn't spot was BG had failed to bill us since March 30th.

We haven't had an accurate bill since we joined BG in November. I'm going to the ombudsman with this bunch of feckin' incompetent fools.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I submit monthly utility readings to BG. Did this earlier today and got a gobsmacking bill of £331.52 - double what I expected. I couldn't fathom it online so had to print and check every bill since December 1st. I've paid everything BG requested. What I didn't spot was BG had failed to bill us since March 30th.

We haven't had an accurate bill since we joined BG in November. I'm going to the ombudsman with this bunch of feckin' incompetent fools.

Are you DD, your amounts shoud have gone up

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Are you DD, your amounts shoud have gone up

Nope, we're paying monthly. This is not my choice but at BG's insistence. I want to pay a regular amount by DD and receive a monthly bill to check usage etc.

BG tell me they have two types of account:
  • DD and billed six monthly
  • Pay monthly on bill receipt and obviously billed monthly
Apparently the BG system cannot accommodate what every other energy supplier I have used can which is monthly DD and monthly billing. At the best of times this would be ridiculous but in times when everyone is stretched and budgeting is more important then ever it is a very real problem. I haven't used BG in perhaps 25 years, they are my "supplier of last resort," never have words been so true.

Reactions: mjr

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a regular DD, give Scottish Power my readings monthly, then can adjust said DD where needed - either up or down within their estimated yearly bill. I'm currently reducing the DD as we've slashed energy use (mainly the hot tub) but they will only allow a reduction of £30 a month as each new bill is processed based on readings. I'm about £400 in credit. Well worth setting up a spreadsheet to monitor use/cost at the moment - just use all the data on the bill. I got caught out badly over the winter of 2020/21 by not doing the reading for 3 months with WFH - cost of heating the summerhouse and conservatory were high, so my DD's were on catch up for 6 months.

Top Bottom