Energy Gels Vs Jelly Babies........are they much better??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
I love high 5 gels they taste lovley and work for me with no issues however i used sis for the first time today and i had to stop and sit on a farm driveway to prevemt me sh*tting mself at one point. Dont fancy that again!

bikeman66

Jelly tots I can go along with......BUT
the thought of a big sloppy pile of melted Toblerone in my back pocket does not sound too appealing:scratch:
eeeuuuggghhhh,

Each to their own, but the thought of Toblerone, full stop, is enough to turn my stomach. Haribo, and occasionally a pack of raw jelly (raspberry, of course) hits the spot!

kiriyama

My advice

• Buy a few samples in different flavours find out what works for you. Some taste awful some not as aweful
  • isotonic gels are easier to take and don't make you gag and desperately grab for you water bottle
  • gels don't give you a superhuman mega boost, just a quick way of topping up your carbs so you don't bonk (on long rides)
  • You don't need to take 3 gels per hour like the pack tells you. I find one gel per hour + a carb drink + some real food (banana) works well for me.
  • always take some real food
  • Don't throw the packet on the side of the road! Have a pocket to dump the horrible sticky packets in.
  • Avoid the caffeine ones, apart from tasting even worse they tend to make me need to piss constantly, negating any enhancement in performance!
  • Don't grow to rely on them but always have a couple in your sadle bag just in case!

outlash

also available in orange
The only time I've had gels is when I was in the dales for the TdF depart last year and a mate (who I believe @HLaB also knows) gave me one as I had run out of food and fading fast. Did the job, but I wouldn't normally have them on me. Jelly babies and/or oaty chewy bars are what I normally carry.

Tony.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If you eat enough complex carbs in your regular diet you should be good for all except an emergency when glucose (dextrosol) will deliver what is necessary fast. Can be had as a gel if you must but wash down with water.
Thanks for the food science lesson. ;-)

ayceejay

Guru
FYII FF that was a pointless post I realise that you already know all this stuff but I didn't know that you felt insulted when someone agrees with you

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Isotonic powders are generally better, even in a weak mix is what you do. I've used gels in a sportive when I'm low and have been on for setting a time. If it's general training, don't use them. Mix of malt loaf, fig biscuits, isotonic powders, bananas are enough. The odd gel is enough for a fail safe.

That said I did do a 72 mile commute last week, on a couple of wheatabix, 1/2 strength orange, then a few sarnies at lunch and a ride back with just water. The ride back with just water was not enough as I'd not had time to recove properly

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I love high 5 gels they taste lovley and work for me with no issues however i used sis for the first time today and i had to stop and sit on a farm driveway to prevemt me sh*tting mself at one point. Dont fancy that again!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I use gels. I really can't be bothered stopping on a ride and I don't like restarting after eating. I get cafe legs.

Remember, 1960s and 70s scifi predicted we'd all be eating space food in the new millennium. It's the future!

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
There's a fundamental flaw in your question - that you are going about this the wrong way. What you should be doing is routing via more pubs or tea shops. Coffee and cake, or a bitter shandy and pork scratchings.

Top Bottom