Energy Gels Vs Jelly Babies........are they much better??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Hi 5 gels for just in case but have favourite flavours. Found one really useful when I was out of water completely too.

Use them in the last third of a long ride and far from every time. Didn't get on with jelly babies, found them too dense/sickly.

pawl

Legendary Member
On longer rides I tend to take jelly babies (all male of course:smile: ) and find they do provide some energy.
I have never tried energy gels so googled some reviews and they are VERY mixed.
I have read comments (on CC) that gels make some people feel sickly.
So.....................
Are all energy gels similar in quality/results ?
To those who do feel sickly..........is that with all of them ?
Any other thoughts ?
I use jelly babies and diluted fresh orange juice with a pinch of salt diluted to taste. Find this fuels my rides.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I did ask for what type of cycling.
Is that for me ????
If so I thought I had answerd...............dead soz like :smile:
Slow paced longer distance as in anything over 25/30 miles.
Anything below 25 and I seem to be fine with just water (providing the weather is not too hot).

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Did a 100 miler with a mate last year, I had jelly babies and malt loaf to munch and squash to drink he had energy gels and various chemistry set looking concoctions to add into his drinks. He was absolutely bolloxed by the halfway mark and struggled all the way to the end, whilst I wasn't and didn't. This highly scientific test proves beyond all doubt that jelly babies are MUCH better than gels.
/thread

screenman

Legendary Member
Is that for me ????
If so I thought I had answerd...............dead soz like :smile:
Slow paced longer distance as in anything over 25/30 miles.
Anything below 25 and I seem to be fine with just water (providing the weather is not too hot).

Proper tasty food then, no need for fancy gels leave those to the racing guys and those pretending to race (sportive type)

ChrisEyles

Guru
Jelly babies are good stuff, but surely any excuse to eat FLAPJACK should not be denied! That's always been my snack of choice (especially for longer rides) along with a bottle of High5 carb/electrolyte stuff... and maybe a bit of cake if there's any I can snaffle from the kitchen... and maybe a choc bar or bag of crisps if I'm hungry and passing a shop :smile:

Never tried gels (have a couple in the cupboard though), but they definitely don't look as tasty as flapjack, and folks on this thread sure aren't selling them to me!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Can't do chocolate if I'm doing anything resembling exercise, I just end up with a claggy chocolate taste filling my mouth for ages. Not good.

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
Jelly babies and Flapjack and fruit for when I'm out and about. Gel or two in the pocket for a 'just in case'.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Jelly babies are good stuff, but surely any excuse to eat FLAPJACK should not be denied! That's always been my snack of choice (especially for longer rides) along with a bottle of High5 carb/electrolyte stuff... and maybe a bit of cake if there's any I can snaffle from the kitchen... and maybe a choc bar or bag of crisps if I'm hungry and passing a shop :smile:

How do you tow the suitcase which you put all that in ?:laugh:

ChrisEyles

Guru
How do you tow the suitcase which you put all that in ?:laugh:

I have capacious jersey pockets, all full of flapjack and other treats :biggrin:

Tools, spare tubes and other necessary inconveniences are relegated to a tool roll under the saddle. This is also probably larger than it strictly needs to be!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention my other secret weapon for getting up the hills - a nice big banana :smile:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Jelly Babies.
Gels have been scientifically proven to be much better than Jelly Babies. But there again, so has Intervals, a regular training schedule, sensible weight reduction, proper bike maintenance, no junk miles, using heart rate monitors, joining a cycle club, etc. And until I can be bothered to do one or two of these, spending the extra money on energy gels is just papering over the cracks. With tissue paper.

Top Bottom