Energy levels as you age.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
How have others experienced as you age your physical energy droping off, this is a work related thing more than a cycling thing, my job is outside working in a yard 9 hours a day lifting, carrying, walking and only rarely having a sit down role. Been there well over a decade, up to age 56 could keep up with all the youngsters I work with no problems now age a couple of months short of 59, over the last couple of years my energy levels have slowly eroded away and ever day is a struggle, used to love running around there getting things done, I've taken plenty of steps to limit the physical effort I put in but to no avail I know plenty of guy's my age but non of them work in a fully physical environment so can't make a direct comparison, I also cycle to work which probably doesn't help but that's the bit I do enjoy so not giving that up.
How have other's experienced this ageing process as they go into their late 50s/early 60s, I eat healthy have a positive attitude to most things and this has been a long gradual process not a sudden drop off.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you seen a dr? Had a full work up?
Hormone levels drop with age in both sexes, perhaps your testosterone level needs testing?

OldShep

Über Member
I recognise your symptoms. I too worked manually outdoors with some long hours some days in summer could be from 5am til midnight and a day off was unheard of for months on end. I’d done it all my life and many young people couldn’t keep pace. From the age of 55 I felt a gradual tiring especially after really heavy days. Aged 58 I just could not seem to recover from long days and would spend weeks really struggling. Aged 59 i'd had enough and retired.
Spent the next 6 months doing projects at home id put off for 20 years because I was too busy at work. The pleasure of starting when I wanted and stopping when I was tired was immense and my well-being improved monthly. So much so aged 60 I got a part time job, that wasn’t manual, and the next 5 years gained a valuable insight into another working world which I knew nothing about because I was always busy at work.
My advice, knowing what I know now, don’t knock your pan out and work yourself into ill health. I’ve seen two guys I know do exactly that. Secondly there are a lot of people drawing wages without breaking into a sweat or bending their back and are probably going to draw a pension a lot longer than someone who’s had a lifetime of hard physical graft.

gbb

Legendary Member
You are where you are in life, I guess acceptance is the key (assuming you're not doing something wrong)
63, I feel the difference, I dont have the upper body strength I used to and do get achy through the day (and night) but that's probably osteo arthritis plus a serious health issue 10 years ago.
But I still run flights of stairs at work, I still keep going and a 35 year old at work cant keep up with me.

Dont try to overcome the natural process, there has to be an inevitability to it and growing (or slightly shrinking) to accept it and live within it seems to me a quite natural...and healthy thing to do.
All of that of course is assuming there is nothing underlying. If you're concerned it's coming too soon, a visit to the docs might put your mind at rest.

Drago

Legendary Member
52 here, just starting to feel a bit lethargic in the mornings, and a little more prone to doze off in the afternoon if I'm not active.

I'm finding the trick is to keep a daily routine going and stick to it rigidly. That and crack cocaine.

When the brown stuff hits the blade rotating object I can keep up with the 21 year olds, and then some, but I can't sustain it 24/7 and I'm not about to risk illness or injury trying.

Having retired at 47 I do wonder if it might play out differently for me, be it better or worse. Either way, ill keep pushing my daily routine until that becomes difficult.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You cannot expect to have the same level of energy you had in your thirties and forties. It’s a natural process and part of life. You’ve done all you can with a healthy diet etc. I should try to find something less physically demanding, it’ll make a world of difference to your well-being. Analyse what you’re good at and enjoy doing and find something along those lines. Any hobbies that could be expanded into an income source?

Sharky

Guru
Took the grandsons out (in prehistoric times), and they were running backwards and forwards, jumping up and down. Must have covered 10 times the distance we walked. My son popped over to help move stuff around. He just picked things up by himself and carried them upstairs. It was taking me and the OH all our efforts to do the same.

I remember seeing my dad out on the bike, some 30 years ago, plodding along and thinking he was riding like an "old man". Now when I go out, I think I am riding just like he was.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Have you seen a dr? Had a full work up?
Hormone levels drop with age in both sexes, perhaps your testosterone level needs testing?
Not seen a Doc, It is just age related I supose and still getting used to the idea.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
I recognise your symptoms. I too worked manually outdoors with some long hours some days in summer could be from 5am til midnight and a day off was unheard of for months on end. I’d done it all my life and many young people couldn’t keep pace. From the age of 55 I felt a gradual tiring especially after really heavy days. Aged 58 I just could not seem to recover from long days and would spend weeks really struggling. Aged 59 i'd had enough and retired.
Spent the next 6 months doing projects at home id put off for 20 years because I was too busy at work. The pleasure of starting when I wanted and stopping when I was tired was immense and my well-being improved monthly. So much so aged 60 I got a part time job, that wasn’t manual, and the next 5 years gained a valuable insight into another working world which I knew nothing about because I was always busy at work.
My advice, knowing what I know now, don’t knock your pan out and work yourself into ill health. I’ve seen two guys I know do exactly that. Secondly there are a lot of people drawing wages without breaking into a sweat or bending their back and are probably going to draw a pension a lot longer than someone who’s had a lifetime of hard physical graft.
Respect to you for the long days indeed.
My workplace is reasonably civilised and not TOO physically demanding I've always found it easy with only short periods of tiredness but the length of the tired periods are growing longer and longer and I do have understanding bosses and work mates but I do want to pull my weight and not become a burden.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
You cannot expect to have the same level of energy you had in your thirties and forties. It’s a natural process and part of life. You’ve done all you can with a healthy diet etc. I should try to find something less physically demanding, it’ll make a world of difference to your well-being. Analyse what you’re good at and enjoy doing and find something along those lines. Any hobbies that could be expanded into an income source?
I think up till i was 56 I thought 'yeh this age thing is ok not affecting me at all' but then of course it did. I do have other options for employment but rather stay were I am if possible.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
52 here, just starting to feel a bit lethargic in the mornings, and a little more prone to doze off in the afternoon if I'm not active.

I'm finding the trick is to keep a daily routine going and stick to it rigidly. That and crack cocaine.

When the brown stuff hits the blade rotating object I can keep up with the 21 year olds, and then some, but I can't sustain it 24/7 and I'm not about to risk illness or injury trying.

Having retired at 47 I do wonder if it might play out differently for me, be it better or worse. Either way, ill keep pushing my daily routine until that becomes difficult.
Yeh cocain might help, but seriously i do know what you mean about not having the stamina you used to.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Metabolism stays pretty level from your 20s to 60s. Then declines. In my mid 50s and so far no decline with energy. About as active as I’ve always been. I think what does change is how much recovery you need after a hard physical session. I’m assuming that your weight has remained static since your 20s. If you’ve allowed your weight to creep that can be a cause of lower energy levels. Fat cells aren’t biologically inert. They consumes nutrients and oxygen just like any other cell in your body.

You might just need more recovery periods to restore your energy levels.

Top Bottom