Engine off in car park.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Whats the OP all about then?

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's just an example of a circumstance where you might unthinkingly use your mobile while your engine is still running.

Oddly, when I park, the first thing I do is turn the engine off. Why would you leave it running when you're about to leave it?

I did see a man at a petrol station yesterday, appeared to be filling up with the engine running, I could see vapour coming out of the exhaust. Great, use up fuel even as you refill!

Sara_H

Guru
Oddly, when I park, the first thing I do is turn the engine off. Why would you leave it running when you're about to leave it?

I did see a man at a petrol station yesterday, appeared to be filling up with the engine running, I could see vapour coming out of the exhaust. Great, use up fuel even as you refill!
My OH sometimes leaves the engine running when he's filling up. I have no idea why, and when I ask him he just mutters some nonsence!

Linford

The best one is people leaving the car running with nobody in it when they go into the corner shop to get a paper in the morning..see it all the time. Bonkers !

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'd sue the copper for being an arse.

It's not their job to enforce every law, regardless. Their job is to use the law as a tool to safeguard the public good.

I had a discussion along these lines recently with a cop who stopped me as I was crossing from the road to the cycle path in the park - a distance of perhaps five or six metres of broad, wide, empty pavement. "Hang on," I said, "Are you seriously suggesting that I should get off my bike there (points), walk it across this five metres of pavement, which is clearly empty of pedestrians, then get back on there (points)?" "Yes," she said. "Can you not see how insane that is? Seriously. Do you suppose any cyclist is going to do that, ever, when you're not around? Or cause any harm to anyone by doing it? Have you ever encountered the notion of common sense, or of using your discretion?" (I'd had a bad day, can you tell?)

Any cop who tickets someone for using a mobile in a car with the engine running to keep the occupant warm needs a slap. That's not what that law is for - and (s)he knows it; and that's not what his/her job is, and if (s)he doesn't know it, someone should explain. I have no place for bullies in uniform. They're a menace to the public and they make life more difficult for their colleagues. It's the difference between democratic policing - which is to say, at root, policing by consent, and a police state.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'd sue the copper for being an arse.

It's not their job to enforce every law, regardless. Their job is to use the law as a tool to safeguard the public good.

I had a discussion along these lines recently with a cop who stopped me as I was crossing from the road to the cycle path in the park - a distance of perhaps five or six metres of broad, wide, empty pavement. "Hang on," I said, "Are you seriously suggesting that I should get off my bike there (points), walk it across this five metres of pavement, which is clearly empty of pedestrians, then get back on there (points)?" "Yes," she said. "Can you not see how insane that is? Seriously. Do you suppose any cyclist is going to do that, ever, when you're not around? Or cause any harm to anyone by doing it? Have you ever encountered the notion of common sense, or of using your discretion?" (I'd had a bad day, can you tell?)

Any cop who tickets someone for using a mobile in a car with the engine running to keep the occupant warm needs a slap. That's not what that law is for - and (s)he knows it; and that's not what his/her job is, and if (s)he doesn't know it, someone should explain. I have no place for bullies in uniform. They're a menace to the public and they make life more difficult for their colleagues. It's the difference between democratic policing - which is to say, at root, policing by consent, and a police state.
I think you have misunderstood the job of the modern Police Officer. It is no longer anything to do with prevention and detection of crime. It is all about raising cash to pay the wages. More fixed penalty tickets = more cash. So forget any notion you might have of discretion, and don't make yourself an easy target by arguing with them.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
So if I understand this correctly subject of OP was in McDonald's car park in a space, handbrake on and gears in neutral or park. Because it was cold and wet engine was left running so heat and ventilation were maintained. Driver then takes a call and is given a fixed penalty for the phoning while driving offence?

I'd be looking at defending it in court with a parallel strategy of writing to a senior officer in force suggesting they withdraw so as not to be made look a bunch of chumps. Insurance companies take a far dimmer view of points for this offence than for speeding, the stakes are quite high.

wait4me

Veteran
My OH sometimes leaves the engine running when he's filling up. I have no idea why, and when I ask him he just mutters some nonsence!

He better not do it in Lincoln in case the rozzers mentioned by the OP are about---That's another £60 in the police Xmas party fund. (leaving engine running while vehicle unattended) I know the pedantic ones will correct any errors in the ()'s

asterix

Comrade Member
[QUOTE 2904737, member: 45"]She wasn't paying for parking. He was arriving at McDonald's with the keys in the ignition but without the engine running. The jury's out on whether she was in reverse or eating an apple.[/quote]

Were no guinea pigs involved?

asterix

Comrade Member
[QUOTE 2905351, member: 45"]I wouldn't try to understand it. The Op isn't clear and subsequent posts have been contradictory. I have a hunch that there's more to the story than we or the Op were told and that perhaps the victim was deserving.[/quote]

Yes, and I am sure worse things happen in Somerset.

Sara_H

Guru
Isn't leaving a car unattended with the engine running quite a serious offence @CopperCyclist? A friend's Jack Russell knocked his automatic car into drive once while barking at a passing cat, or so he says (the car owner, not the Jack Russell). The car hit a lamp post.
My friend once left her engine on and in drive while she got out to shovel snow out from under her tyres. When she cleared the snow the car started moving. She slipped and fell in front of the car and nearly got run over.

Top Bottom