Er' Indoors is Worried

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
My wife knows full well two things:
1) Without my regular cycle ride, there is a risk of a heart attack as I get older. She would like me to be around through to old age, and without getting on the bike there is an increased risk that this won't happen.
2) Without my regular endorphines hit, I can be a sullen, grumpy git. With it, I feel happy and alive. She knows which version she would rather live with.

Sara_H

Guru
Woops, it wasn't meant to be a cry for help, just trying to show there must be a middle ground somewhere, but thanks anyway.:biggrin:
Well, the offer's there!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My wife knows full well
Without my regular endorphines hit, I can be a sullen, grumpy git. With it, I feel happy and alive.
I am the same but i am under orders atm not to commute etc :sad:
In hindsight an unlit , un gritted country lane that would be mynormal commute would have been quicker on skis in parts but common sense is driving me up the wall !
last night at work i felt down all night and today is about the same, will be looking for a turbo cheap come spring when hopefully people might be flogging them cheap.

byegad

Legendary Member
Without being rude.

This is your wife's problem and not yours. If you allow her to continue you'll end up like my Father out Law who cannot go into the garden with calls from M-oL in the house every minute as she thinks he'll fall and be unable to call for help. This is groundless as he has never fallen, but she has!

If this anxiety goes on it will need to be treated.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My wife knows full well two things:
1) Without my regular cycle ride, there is a risk of a heart attack as I get older. She would like me to be around through to old age, and without getting on the bike there is an increased risk that this won't happen.
2) Without my regular endorphines hit, I can be a sullen, grumpy git. With it, I feel happy and alive. She knows which version she would rather live with.
Both the above ....

mattobrien

Guru
I have tried to show Mrs O my regular routes so the she would know which way I was going / where to send the search party too. To be honest, I think she probably glazed over, so I'll lie undiscovered for days.

I ought to give her @Andrew_Culture's mobile number as he is more likely to be able to know where I am likely to be via Strava routes than she is.

I do say roughly say how long I'll be, but sometimes I do go a little slower than planned due to a headwind or knackered legs.

I think she worries, but that is probably masked by moaning about me swanning off on my bike ;-)

compo

Veteran
My wife worries a little when I am out. She insists that I always have a mobile phone with me and she had dog tags engraved with emergency contact numbers. I usually tell her roughly where I am going when I know myself. I often go out with no destination in mind though. I generally ring her after a couple of hours just to let her know where I am. With us not having been married all that long I think she doesn't want the hassle of getting the pensions etc sorted out back to one person. Or perhaps she just loves me :wub:

and then there is the Spot GPS messenger which can be used (expensive but dealt with family issues relating to worries about where in the world we were etc.. shame we never actually activated the SOS feature when we did have our "issue"! locals rang for an ambulance before we remembered we had that feature!)

can be set to track which uses a uploads a signal every 10 mins of where you are... uploads to a website where you can control who sees what, when and how, with or without a password and you can activate it for emergency help (my strava only works when I upload it once I am home)....

PpPete

Legendary Member
Mine isn't indoors any more... she rides more miles in a year than I do. (Same audax mileage + her 14 mile a day commute)
So she has a regular commute bike, one with snow studs which has been rather useful of late, her audax bike, one set up for triathlons (which is her next ambition after LEL), and 1940s vintage SS that she's owned since she was at Uni.
So that's two more bikes than me already and now she wants an MTB !

Get In The Van

Mrs Van just asks how long i'll be, if i've got all i need to repair stuff, food, phone, etc and what area i'll be heading off in, she knows most of my routes or at least the area, so if anything did happen she can drive out and find me
So far that option hasn't been needed! :thumbsup:

Davidc

Guru
Well Skipper, I've had that nearly all my life, started with mother when I was 7.

It doesn't stop, when I take my bike to mums she still does it, and I'm 60 and she's 90. When I go out from home I get interrogated by the wife, have I got my phone, have I got some sort of ID, and then its a reminder that I must text if I'm going to be late! Not so bad if I'm with a group.

MrsAF never used to bothered where I was. But since I was taken ill at the beginning of December she is petrified when I go out on my own, and insists on a full route description before I leave and how long it will take me. She is much happier if I'm out with a mate, fortunately I have a cycling friend who lives a few hundred yards away.

She finds it hard to understand that I can't just sit in the house and wait for full recovery. If anything is going to happened I would rather be out doing something I enjoy, than sitting in front of daytime TV!

Top Bottom