Er' Indoors is Worried

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I get it all the time both from mum and wife. I try and reassure both but they just don't get it.

So I remain quiet and go out anyway.

Yup, Mrs Smoo is another worry monkey. Although to be fair with my share of broken ankles, broken elbows and general cuts, scuffs and grazes over the years I can't really blame her :whistle:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays is the same ... and I find that it sometimes stops me from doing something ... not because he says I can't but more because I don't want to worry him. Mind you when the weather is bad I sometimes worry about him in the car too.

al78

Guru
My father was threatening to buy me a car for my birthday, one of the reasons being he worries me about cycling on the roads (amongst other reasons).

Without my regular endorphines hit, I can be a sullen, grumpy git. With it, I feel happy and alive. She knows which version she would rather live with.

- this is very much the boat I'm, in as depression easily gets hold of me:sad: . As long as I say what my intended route is, and approximate time of return I'm ok. I tend to avoid remote routes when on my own (which is most times) just in case something were to happen. Still hopeful of cycling from Newcastleton to Kielder using the Cross Border Route which is very wild and remote one day:smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Perhaps you should take comfort from your situation.
It does worry me occasionally that I could lie undiscovered for a couple of days if I happened to take a tumble into the roadside undergrowth. A friend of mine out for an evening cycle run, lay overnight and was just lucky to be seen, badly hurt, behind a crash barrier the next day by a guy going to his work.

It's a thought! :eek:
When is the dating forum coming, @Shaun? :smile:

Hip Priest

Veteran
My wife encourages me to ride because cycling has had such a positive effect on my well-being. She's less encouraging when it comes to me spending money on a new bike though! She says I love my bikes, so why do I need a new one? Good point, I guess.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I can understand her anxiety, it's dangerous out there and you should be worried if she ISN'T worried about you when you go out! My daughter cycles occasionally in the warmer weather and all the time she's out i'm worrying if she's ok. She's only 15 so not only do i worry about a potential accident but other things as well. The other month she was not back on time. I didn't say anything but was i glad to see her back safely!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Don't any of you worry about where your wives are when you are out cycling?

sabian92

Über Member
My father was threatening to buy me a car for my birthday, one of the reasons being he worries me about cycling on the roads (amongst other reasons).

I wish my dad would threaten me with that.... :laugh:

I think it's natural to worry, especially as people who take very little or no interest in riding a bike see it as a dangerous activity, especially on the road. My OH is exactly the same - text me when you get there, be careful, don't do anything silly etc. She knows I wouldn't anyway, and it's not even me she's really that bothered about, it's other people driving like morons that worry her. It worries me as well but if I worried about it every minute of the day I'd never ride a bike. She's the same when I drive the car as well so it's not exclusive to riding a bike.

Worries when I commute. Have to call/text safe arrival. She's happier that I have spent the winter so far in garage on the turbo recovering from an accident in August which did nothing to change her opinion of the safety of cycling.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Going around the magic roundabout in Hemel Hempstead would make anybody worried. Before anybody asks it is the only roundabout you can go around both ways! Nightmare.

Top Bottom