Er' Indoors is Worried

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
Going around the magic roundabout in Hemel Hempstead would make anybody worried. Before anybody asks it is the only roundabout you can go around both ways! Nightmare.

There is a roundabout in the town I work out of. Two actually. The newest is a small one but it handles quite a bit of traffic. My brother told me that the other day he saw someone come thru it the wrong way. We looked and noticed there are no signs pointing to the right nor are there any keep right signs there. I am not familiar enough with traffic laws to even know if the person was actually breaking the law. I guess I need to do some Googling.

BSRU

A Human Being
My better half is glad I swapped motorised two wheels for human powered two wheels, it is far safer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm getting grief about cycling at the moment. Had a day off Friday, so did 22 miles (the most I've done in one stint since an operation in October). It left me in agony all weekend, so I dosed up on pain killers.

Queue 'statements', I thought you were going to have a rest, you shouldn't be cycling that far yet (4 minths after a minor op), you won't let your son cycle in the ice - double standards (I have ice tyres :eek: ), you are impatient, I feel like I come second to cycling yadda yadda.

Seriously hacked off with it at the minute, all because of a stupid operation, oh and getting knocked off 4 years ago - she still goes on about that.

I went out and did a steady 22 miles - it's not far, just over an hour just to see if I was OK - yes it hurt, but I got so much grief about it. Looks like she'll bite my head off if I do anymore than just ride to work and back at the moment !

Arch

Married to Night Train
I wish my dad would threaten me with that.... :laugh:

I think it's natural to worry, especially as people who take very little or no interest in riding a bike see it as a dangerous activity, especially on the road. My OH is exactly the same - text me when you get there, be careful, don't do anything silly etc. She knows I wouldn't anyway, and it's not even me she's really that bothered about, it's other people driving like morons that worry her. It worries me as well but if I worried about it every minute of the day I'd never ride a bike. She's the same when I drive the car as well so it's not exclusive to riding a bike.

Whenever NT drives over here, or when he drives back, I say "Have a safe journey, text me when you get back." It doesn't mean I don't trust his driving*, it's just like a sort of talisman. And it shows how much I care that he gets there safely! Likewise, I text to say when I get home on the train - the chances of having an accident on a train are very small, but I like to let him know I'm home. It's just part of being together.

*His driving is very good. Other people, however, are frequently idiots.

I worry much more about my better half [dr_pink on here] than she does about me, I think that has a lot to do with me being big, old and ugly and her being young and attractive. I worry a lot when she is commuting in the dark, it's a long way and on country roads, so I meet her when I can. I have made sure she is equipped with the best lights money can buy because you can't buy a life back. It is also a nail biting time when she is racing because with a number on your back the red mist descends and thoughts of riding safely are of a lesser consideration.
If I could have one wish it would be that riding a bike is safe from other road users.

eck

Über Member
I worry much more about my better half than she does about me, I think that has a lot to do with me being big wee, old and ugly and her being young and attractive..
That kind of goes for me too. When I was going for a ride, I always used to tell Mrs eck that I'd be back at least half an hour later than I expected to be back, so that she wouldn't worry. (You can see where this is going, eh?) That's right: it didn't take her that long to twig, so she always subtracted half an hour from my ETA. :smooch:

al78

Guru
I'm getting grief about cycling at the moment. Had a day off Friday, so did 22 miles (the most I've done in one stint since an operation in October). It left me in agony all weekend, so I dosed up on pain killers.

Queue 'statements', I thought you were going to have a rest, you shouldn't be cycling that far yet (4 minths after a minor op), you won't let your son cycle in the ice - double standards (I have ice tyres :eek: ), you are impatient, I feel like I come second to cycling yadda yadda.

Seriously hacked off with it at the minute, all because of a stupid operation, oh and getting knocked off 4 years ago - she still goes on about that.

I went out and did a steady 22 miles - it's not far, just over an hour just to see if I was OK - yes it hurt, but I got so much grief about it. Looks like she'll bite my head off if I do anymore than just ride to work and back at the moment !

This kind of stood out at me, as I wonder if this is the real issue here. Sometimes what can happen when you take up a hobby or activity is that, over time, you get more and more into it, and it takes up more and more of your time, but you don't notice yourself how much more time it is taking up, and it comes at the expense of spending time with those closest to you. I'm not saying this is the case with you but it might be worth thinking about for a moment. I know that if I had a partner and she said something like that to me it would ring alarm bells.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This kind of stood out at me, as I wonder if this is the real issue here. Sometimes what can happen when you take up a hobby or activity is that, over time, you get more and more into it, and it takes up more and more of your time, but you don't notice yourself how much more time it is taking up, and it comes at the expense of spending time with those closest to you. I'm not saying this is the case with you but it might be worth thinking about for a moment. I know that if I had a partner and she said something like that to me it would ring alarm bells.

I actually do less than I used to - I mainly commute now, so that's actually quicker than driving, and I am not often out at weekends. She just worries alot, and wasn't impressed with my riding through the ice and snow - even though I took quiet off road routes. At the minute it's my operation recovery that's worrying her (and me) - or lack of it - i.e. I'm back cycling but it does seem to make pain worse - so does the gym also, where I should have been back to 100% after 7-14 days, not 4 months !

She has also seen my injuries I've had during our marriage from cycling, and they haven't been that bad.:whistle:

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Going around the magic roundabout in Hemel Hempstead would make anybody worried. Before anybody asks it is the only roundabout you can go around both ways! Nightmare.

You should see a few here in Colchester, four mini roundabouts around the outside of a big roundabout. The mini's you have to go round the right way, the big one you can go round either way ! Nightmare when you first come across them, but I have to admit, they do work quite well.

Top Bottom