Er' Indoors is Worried

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper

Anyone else get this grief? I'm a grown man. Admitted I've had my share of tumbles and broken bones over the cycling years. But I have a small guilt trip each time I go out, cos' the missus worries when I'm out cycling. It's kinda sweet, an' all that, an' I know she loves me which is why she cares. But every now and then she brings up the conversation ... "I worry about you" or "you were gone a long time" or "I was expecting you back sooner". She loves that I have a real passion for the sport, and wouldn't ever stop me. But does any one else have the same issue, and how do you beat it?

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
My wife is the same sometimes, mainly if I'm going on a longish ride alone. I think that she worries about me more when I go paragliding though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's just natural behaviour. Mrs Ian is the same even after all these years of me cycling.
I always tell her approximately what time I am expected back.
I away text when I have stopped for lunch.
And a quick text when I am about an hour away from returning home.
If anything has slowed the ride down like a mechanical etc, I will also text that I am running late.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
My misses and daughter are exactly the same, after my accident in December, I felt I had to compromise. We both agreed on me buying a Brompton again as its the only bike I've not had hits or near misses on.

Sara_H

Guru
I gave the OH a bit of grief this morning for riding in - that said, he left early when the roads will have still been very icy, and he has had two fairly serious bike accidents in the last 3 years (1x 2 broken arms, 1x le fort 3 fracture).

I gave him twenty minutes then text him, he'd arrived safely but had eeded to get off and walk at one point. Just got the ride home at 930pm to worry about now!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I gave the OH a bit of grief this morning for riding in - that said, he left early when the roads will have still been very icy, and he has had two fairly serious bike accidents in the last 3 years (1x 2 broken arms, 1x le fort 3 fracture).

I gave him twenty minutes then text him, he'd arrived safely but had eeded to get off and walk at one point. Just got the ride home at 930pm to worry about now!

I'm not entirely sure I want to know the answer, but how did he break both arms at once?

snorri

Legendary Member
Perhaps you should take comfort from your situation.
It does worry me occasionally that I could lie undiscovered for a couple of days if I happened to take a tumble into the roadside undergrowth. A friend of mine out for an evening cycle run, lay overnight and was just lucky to be seen, badly hurt, behind a crash barrier the next day by a guy going to his work.

Sara_H

Guru
I'm not entirely sure I want to know the answer, but how did he break both arms at once?
Wheel stuck in tram track, man over handlebars. Apparently he tried to do some kind of break roll, but with feet attatched to peddles in went wrong and he landed on outstretched arms.
Being all man, he rode home anyway, did some husbandly duties (:smooch:) and took the dog for a walk before noticing that his arms were a bit swollen. Six weeks in pot sorted it out though. He had to have one pot that came off temporarily so he could wipe his bum!!!!!!

Sara_H

Guru
Perhaps you should take comfort from your situation.
I does worry me occasionally that I could lie undiscovered for a couple of days if I happened to take a tumble into the roadside undergrowth. A friend of mine out for an evening cycle run, lay overnight and was just lucky to be seen, badly hurt, behind a crash barrier the next day by a guy going to his work.
Awwww..... if you like you can text me every time you're about to go out for a ride, I can worry about you as well then.

Nope - don't have that issue. have proved I can take care of myself, fix punctures & other faults and even deal with my asthma (severe asthmatic). I take the phone, I know how to use it and can even call home if needed. Only needed to obtain assistance once when I passed out cycling downhill at something over the speedlimit...:whistle: and came round having rolled down a grassy embankment in what appears to have been a perfect detatchment from bike... slightly bruised hip and some confused motorists (not a single one stopped to help me though)... had to walk to nearest phone box since no mobile signal where I lived or worked and nothing in between either... reverse charges home gave him a clue something was not right... otherwise I find the fact that I have actually got home, not covered in bruises (mud not counted) and am still alive works really well as reassurance...

Top Bottom