Essential travel ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noddy63

Having called at several of the local bike shops in my area, and had the same response from all, no stock and if I want a new bike it could take up to 8 wks, and having had a similar experience online, I was wondering if I can find a bike on e-bay/gumtree etc, am I ok to collect it. Is this allowed ?

Just do it - I would.
Strong chance that plod would agree and the (worst case) fine isn't a massive deal.

Slick

Guru
Of course it is, especially if you intend to use it for an essential journey like work, food shopping or picking up medicines. Even just for your mental wellbeing is a reason to get it. 👍

alicat

Legendary Member
Bike shops are allowed to be open and it's okay to exercise and to use a bike as a means of transpor. The only caveat I would urge is to only agree to collect if the sale is reasonably local. I think the police would take a dim view if you were collecting it a long way from home.

Reactions: C R

DSK

I went past plod with a bike strapped on a bike rack this morning, they didn't even bat an eye lid.

All I would do is keep a copy of the advert, collection agreement (e.g chat message) to back you up. A lot of people seem to be suddenly selling up their bikes for higher prices so be careful not to get ripped off as once stuff open up again there may well be decent buys when the shops re-open.

Happy bike shopping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

noddy63

Good to know, many thanks. Have seen a few that you would say were quite expensive for what they are.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If you prefer a new one try Tredz. I randomly clicked on a few bikes and most came up as "in stock assembled and delivered in 10 days."

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 26715

We've just gone 12 miles each way to pick up a bike for our granddaughter, we stayed clear of the seller, who did the same, we handed over the money this was the closest we got to each other, picked up the bike & put it in the back of the car, wiped hands with sanitiser as soon as we were in the car. In the true sense of the restrictions no it wasn't essential, but it was causing my wife some anxiety that we would miss the granddaughters birthday promise, so weighing it all up I justified it to myself.

OP
OP
N

noddy63

Must be me !! Every time I checked my size was no stock. Have seen Dolan (E'tape)have some and can get them within a wk and Triton have Lapierre sensium both good spec ( probably better bikes than I need ) but very good price, not sure which is better ?

al78

Guru
Bike shops are allowed to be open and it's okay to exercise and to use a bike as a means of transpor. The only caveat I would urge is to only agree to collect if the sale is reasonably local. I think the police would take a dim view if you were collecting it a long way from home.

My LBS has been closed for the last few weeks. Of course, sods law struck and the electronic gearing on my road bike completely died a week after they closed, so I am using my folder until it reopens.

Top Bottom