Essential travel ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Having called at several of the local bike shops in my area, and had the same response from all, no stock and if I want a new bike it could take up to 8 wks, and having had a similar experience online, I was wondering if I can find a bike on e-bay/gumtree etc, am I ok to collect it. Is this allowed ?
A chap in the news today got fingered for going to collect a new car. I can't see that going to collect a new bicycle will be viewed any differently.

Considering we are being advised to stay home I can't see any justification for even wanting to go at the present time. Will you starve? Will you suffer harm or undue hardship? Will you suffer medical issues? Will it stop you getting to work (assuming you're still working)? If the answer to all of those is "no", it's not essential travel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

A chap in the news today got fingered for going to collect a new car. I can't see that going to collect a new bicycle will be viewed any differently.

Considering we are being advised to stay home I can't see any justification for even wanting to go at the present time. Will you starve? Will you suffer harm or undue hardship? Will you suffer medical issues? Will it stop you getting to work (assuming you're still working)? If the answer to all of those is "no", it's not essential travel.
If you also do not cause others harm what harm has it done?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Retail bike shops are supposedly only open for repairs and parts sales, not the sale of bikes.

I don't think that's true - I don't think there are any restrictions on what they can sell. (and let's face it, they could always sell you a new frame. And fit it for you. And sell you a new groupset. And fit that too. Then wheels)

I am expecting completion of my new bike, (:okay:^_^:smile::dance: etc), from about 100 miles distant, in the next week or so. I can't justify that journey, even to myself, so I'll probably fork out for delivery. I think that will in reality be man from bike shop driving his van here, so net danger to spreading corona is identical...

Hey ho.

roubaixtuesday

Retail bike shops are supposedly only open for repairs and parts sales, not the sale of bikes.

I don't think that's true - I don't think there are any restrictions on what they can sell. (and let's face it, they could always sell you a new frame. And fit it for you. And sell you a new groupset. And fit that too. Then wheels)

I am expecting completion of my new bike, (:okay:^_^:smile::dance: etc), from about 100 miles distant, in the next week or so. I can't justify that journey, even to myself, so I'll probably fork out for delivery. I think that will in reality be man from bike shop driving his van here, so net danger to spreading corona is identical...

Hey ho.

roubaixtuesday

you also do not cause others harm what harm has it done?

You don't know if you've harmed anyone. Because you don't know who is carrying the virus.

Risk to any one individual is very low, but the cumulative risk if we get back to exponential growth is very high

Reactions: C R

DSK

i just sold my Trek, dropped delivered it on a bike rack to its new owner. Went from Nottingham > Chesterfield and back. I took small urban roads on the way and then came back on the motorway.

The buyer has been patiently and happily waiting for a week so just though sod it. lets deliver it and see what happens.

There's a shed lot of traffic in the roads now compared to a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom