Etape Caledonia 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmac190

Über Member
Hello cc members.

I am considering entering next years Etape Caledonia. I've went to enter several times and something is holding me back so I thought I'd come on here and seek advice from those who have done this years or any other year for that matter. The only "race" I have entered is the Pedal for Scotland Glasgow - Edinburgh which I loved and did in a good time.

On average I am cycling about 200 miles a month, mainly on the road bike but also cycle to and from work on a hybrid and because of where I live (Carluke) there are hills pretty much anywhere I go.

What I'm apprehensive about is the total ascent of just over 6000ft. This sounds A LOT.

I fully expect it to be a challenge but am looking for your thoughts on how bad/good/not so bad this actually is.

Thanks

G

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
The Etape Caledonia is not a hard ride.
thumbsup.png

There is only one real hill - Schiehallion - which is steep at the start, then 'levels off' to a long section with lumps, though going in an overall upward direction ! (this year, quite a few people were walking up the steeper bit or stopping for a "photo op"
icon_lol.gif
)

There are many reasons why people do the Etape - the closed roads
thumbsup.png
; to set a fast time; to have a nice ride in company; to test themselves; to get round .....

You can do it, no problem
Laie_76A.gif
. The very fact that you are on CC; that you are cycling regularly; that you are considering it now - all these point to a successful outcome.

There are likely to be lots of CC folk doing it again next year and maybe Noodley will organise another Recce Ride, when you can cycle round the route at 'cafe-stop' pace
icon_lol.gif
. Or you could organise your own Recce Ride
bravo.gif

Attachments

• thumbsup.png
    thumbsup.png
    447 bytes · Views: 60
OP
OP
gmac190

gmac190

Über Member
That's just the kind of reply I was hoping to hear "not a hard ride". Good news. That said I'm not expecting it to be a doddle
whistling.gif
!! I'm hoping to keep up the road work as much as I can through the winter so that my fitness levels don't flag too much.

I've also heard that the Kinross Sportive (blue route) is a pretty good warm up for the etape. Think I'll go for that as well when the entry dates are set.

Have you done the Kinross sportive before?

Certainly not a hard ride compared to other sportives. A step up from PfS, yes, but you have plenty of time to prepare and it sounds like you are doing plenty of cycling anyway.

On my commute I average 16-17mph (11.5 miles each way). That is the only training I did for the Etape Caledonia. They are reasonably hilly miles, but nothing major. Despite this, I managed to average 19mph over the Etape course. That shows you how fast the course is (yes we also had excellent weather conditions which helped). Go for it!

I'm not 100% at the moment if I will be doing it it. My time is limited. I am tempted to go for the more challenging Kinross spotive (black run). Now the original question should be, should I be doing that one! :ohmy::smile:

OP
OP
gmac190

gmac190

Über Member
Hi magnatom, the black route on the Kinross sportive does look a challenge, certainly a lot of ups and downs, maybe that'll be 2012's challenge
blush.gif

That's it, after hearing your comments I am definitely going to enter the etape, will register tonight.

Thanks guys, its always good to hear from folk who have done the rides before.

Magnatom, go for the black route.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
That's just the kind of reply I was hoping to hear "not a hard ride". Good news. That said I'm not expecting it to be a doddle
whistling.gif
!! I'm hoping to keep up the road work as much as I can through the winter so that my fitness levels don't flag too much.

I've also heard that the Kinross Sportive (blue route) is a pretty good warm up for the etape. Think I'll go for that as well when the entry dates are set.

Have you done the Kinross sportive before?

It's the first year of running ....

Paul_L

Über Member
i'm very keen on this although not certain yet as awaiting Mrs L's clearance to expend funds and on a long w/e away.

Simon_m

Guru
I was up on holiday there last month, and drove up to the carpark at Schiehallion, so to do the mountain climb. Dam it's steep! Have signed up for it anyway and looking fwd to the challange. Hope the weather is good. I'm sure a lot of people will be looking for tips on how to make the most of it, what to wear, take, eat, pace etc etc.

Top Bottom