Etape Caledonia 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Really looking forward to it - I've never done anything like it before!

Name Number Gp Time
edindave ????? Y 07:33
Waspie ????? B 06.47
Nebulous ???? T 07.23

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Have a good week-end and a Great Ride all Etappers
thumbsup.png

The closed roads really are great - remember you can use ALL the road on the Schiehallion descent !
eek2.gif

Look forward to hearing your tales of how it went
Laie_76A.gif
Laie_76A.gif
Laie_76A.gif

Attachments

• Laie_76A.gif
    Laie_76A.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Laie_76A.gif
    Laie_76A.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 30

BJH

Über Member
Good luck to you all on this.

I can't climb for toffee,( unless they were offering lots of toffee at the top of the climb). Apart from getting cramp as i crossed over the start timing for the main climb which made me stop to eat gels and drink, followed by walking about twenty yards to free it off, I made it up that climb in one go.

It really isn't that bad and the descent down is brilliant, but watch out for overtakers on either side!

The sharp climb after the ninety bend is fairly obvious when it's coming - even the spectators and stewards were shouting to change gears on the way in.

The whole day was fantastic last year, i regret messing up my entry. You will love it!

aberal

Guru
I'm looking forward to it - should be good. My start time 7.15. Weather forecast doesn't look too bad. White cloud, 14C wind 8mph SW.

OP
OP
gmac190

gmac190

Über Member
school boy error story!!

I had convinced myself for a few weeks that the climbing can't be that bad as it was only 1949 ft and that compaired to the Sportive Kinross it'll be a dawdle....................then it dawned on me that it was 1949 METERS..............arrrggghhhhhhh.........................6349 bloomin ft
blush.gif
blush.gif

really looking forward to it though.

Attachments

• blush.gif
    blush.gif
    275 bytes · Views: 32
school boy error story!!

I had convinced myself for a few weeks that the climbing can't be that bad as it was only 1949 ft and that compaired to the Sportive Kinross it'll be a dawdle....................then it dawned on me that it was 1949 METERS..............arrrggghhhhhhh.........................6349 bloomin ft
blush.gif
blush.gif

really looking forward to it though.

Nah its not that much I've done 3 times and the GPS picks up around 3800 ft, If I change it to corrected it says even less sub 3000 ft. Its also a gentle 3000ft. I didn't do the Kinross Sportive but I've done all the climbs multiple times, it is nothing compared to that.

Enjoy :-)

Attachments

• blush.gif
    blush.gif
    275 bytes · Views: 35

col1888

I'm looking forward to it as well. Never done it before either.

Glad the weather looks like it might be ok.

I'm starting at 07.23 too Nebulous. Race number 4033, if you see me give us a shout.

Col

J-HO

Regret is now hitting me hard, I am gutted I'm not taking part on Sunday.

The biggest event on my doorstep and all I can do is watch, but I will enjoy seeing you all finish.

I was swayed against doing it on a mountain bike with road tyres, so a road bike has been added to my wish list and the wife has come round to the idea.
Next year I will definately be there as long as ACRE doesn't get in the way - Fingers crossed.

Good Luck to all taking part, you'll see me at the finish line with a massive piece of green cheese.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I was in Perthshire until yesterday and saw the signs for the Etape as I rode around Loch Tummel and Loch Rannoch - it's absolutely gorgeous cycling country. I'd never heard of the event and I'm saddened that there isn't national media coverage for it. If it doesn't happen in London the BBC aren't interested it seems.

Did anyone here anything about todays crash, it looked serious ? Some bloke overtook me on a bend but didn't have the power to go through and swerved into me a little bit this was just at the start of one of the really steep downhill bits. I dropped back to avoid an accident. I thought this blokes going to have an accident, I wish now I had said something like 'be careful' less than a minute later once the speed had got up to +30mph he tried it again on somebody else, right in front of my brother and a bit of jostling initiated and the two blokes came down hard right in front of my brother I don't know how he stayed up, the bikes skidded into his path but he managed to swerve round it and skidded on their waterbottles. I stopped and a mash of bikes, one wheel was bent in two etc. and two motionless bodies; they were making a sort of snoring sound! after a moment I realised there was nothing I could do other than shoot down the hill to find the next marshal, which luckily wasn't far and send for professional help!

Top Bottom