Etape Caledonia 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was up on holiday there last month, and drove up to the carpark at Schiehallion, so to do the mountain climb. Dam it's steep! Have signed up for it anyway and looking fwd to the challange. Hope the weather is good. I'm sure a lot of people will be looking for tips on how to make the most of it, what to wear, take, eat, pace etc etc.

It looks steeper than what it is, in reality its just a gradual climb. What catches folk out is quite a bit after it; there's a long drag, slightly down hill so folk are in a high gear the route then suddenly turns 90deg left and rises quite sharply. When i've done I've just had one or two bottles of energy drink and a few ceareal bars/ bananas (we're all different so this may not suit you). Pace wise it really what you want to make of it there's enough groups going at all paces) The other thing which may or may not be a problem to you but it sets of early so can be quite chilly at the start but you warm up fast; I like to wear arm warmers on occaisions like that, which I can roll rown on the move, other like full longs and a jacket however; so wear what you are comfortable wearing. Enjoy :smile:

Simon_m

Guru
thanks, yeah it is dam early! lol. will have to buy some new kit then, yipeee. Just dont want to be carying too much if it warms up slightly.

course profile:

http://www.etapecaledonia.co.uk/images/PDFs/Etape-Caledonia-Challenge-Route-Profile.pdf

fudgedog

Where did you get your start time ? I logged on to a site and got my 2009 start time along with my wife who isn't even doing this year

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
We cycled along parts of the route (Logierait - Weem) a couple of days ago, and - funnily enough - met quite a few roadies coming the other way. It could just have been locals on a day out (great weather :sun: ), or it could have been Etape participants scouting the route :whistle: .

T

Gravity Assisted

Hi
I did 2/3 of the Etape route this week in 2 rides - some awesome scenery!

The climb up Schiehallion is not that bad - honest.

Can't wait til next week - closed roads should make it pretty special.

Simon

edindave

Über Member
What's everyone's race number/start group/start time?
I dunno my number cos there's two people with the same name in my group
wacko.gif
lol

But I'm in group Y, 07:33 (went for 'over 5 1/2 Hours' way back when I signed up... maybe was a bit pessimistic back then!)

Thought we could have a wee table listing for anyone who feels like sharing to add their info and repost...
thumbsup.png

Name Number Gp Time
edindave ????? Y 07:33

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
hmmm ... if it is, we all know who(m?) to blame :thumbsup:

Have a great day, guys & girls! Hope the sun shines for you, it's beautiful around the route - we went along some of it a couple of weeks ago, and looked down on the rest from Schiehallion another couple of weeks earlier ...

T

Waspie

Über Member
Looking forward to this. I'm in the 2nd group, starting at 6.47 :ohmy:

Got a good (for me) time last year, 4.06ish, so in a fit of misplaced optimism I put an under 4hrs estimate when I entered almost a year ago. :huh: Not feeling so confident now.

Hope everyone enjoys their day, it's great not having to worry about cars on the road.

Name Number Gp Time
edindave ????? Y 07:33
Waspie ????? B 06.47

Top Bottom