Etape Caledonia 2012 (etape virgin)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
You will prob find being in a group that the average will be higher than you usually do :thumbsup:

Cheers Col, I'm hoping that will be the case - also closed roads I'm hoping will help, though I have to balance up not going out TOO quickly and killing myself! Have felt a bit better on my training rides in the last few weeks, the longer rides help. Commuted to work today, if the weather is not too bad may try to find a longer route home tonight.

zizou

Veteran
Some good stuff there, not sure I'll get to try any of the route first but I'm staying the weekend so intend driving it any maybe pootle up some of the hills on the bike - don't want to kill myself the day before! Bit worried about the minimum speed requirement of 13mph, I'm sort-of averaging 14mph at the moment (though the distance doesn't seem to matter?!?), though my ultimate aim is just to finish. I've done 73 miles in a oner so hoping 80-81 is within my reach, only 3 weeks to go!!!

If you can manage 14 mph solo for a good distance (say for example 50 miles) then you will have no problem managing the minimum speed. The closed roads and all the other cyclists make a huge difference - it will likely end up being one of the fastest rides you'll do all year even if it is longer than anything you've riden before. However if you feel like you are having to go into the red to keep up with a fast group early on then back off a bit, because of the numbers involved it is easy to find other groups going at a better pace for you.

Now if only i can follow that advice myself this year :biggrin:

Fubar

Guru
If you can manage 14 mph solo for a good distance (say for example 50 miles) then you will have no problem managing the minimum speed. The closed roads and all the other cyclists make a huge difference - it will likely end up being one of the fastest rides you'll do all year even if it is longer than anything you've riden before. However if you feel like you are having to go into the red to keep up with a fast group early on then back off a bit, because of the numbers involved it is easy to find other groups going at a better pace for you.

Now if only i can follow that advice myself this year :biggrin:

Thanks Zizou, it's only my 2nd Sportive and first on my road bike so not too sure what to expect - nightmares of me being told to get in the broomwagon for being too slow! I'm reasonably confident about the distance, it's the speed and the lumps I'm worried about - it's the hills where I tend to lose speed, though have been training to try and get better.

adscrim

Veteran
It's not quite pancake flat other than Schiehallion and Logierait. There are some reasonable ups and down in the first 20 - nothing to be worried by but you should be aware of them so you're not worried that the rest of the ride is as 'flat' as this section. Also, the distance bottom to top of Schiehallion is roughly six miles but this can almost be split into even thirds of up, flat/decending and up. And finally, once you're up the initial ramp at Logierait, it's lumpy pretty much all the way to the finish. Again, nothing sustained but steep enough to matter if you're feeling the 75 miles you've already done.

Make sure you enjoy the loop round loch Rannoch. This is flat and I was in a huge group for that part of the last Etape I did. I think somewhere in the region of 150 riders had joined together by the far end and it felt like I was just floating along!

Fubar

Guru
It's not quite pancake flat other than Schiehallion and Logierait. There are some reasonable ups and down in the first 20 - nothing to be worried by but you should be aware of them so you're not worried that the rest of the ride is as 'flat' as this section. Also, the distance bottom to top of Schiehallion is roughly six miles but this can almost be split into even thirds of up, flat/decending and up. And finally, once you're up the initial ramp at Logierait, it's lumpy pretty much all the way to the finish. Again, nothing sustained but steep enough to matter if you're feeling the 75 miles you've already done.

Make sure you enjoy the loop round loch Rannoch. This is flat and I was in a huge group for that part of the last Etape I did. I think somewhere in the region of 150 riders had joined together by the far end and it felt like I was just floating along!

Thanks Adscrim, I did wonder whether "pancake flat" was a realistic assessment for a novice - some peoples pancakes are flatter than others! I've heard about Logierait and that the finish is "lumpy" - as you say, if my legs are feeling it the last part could be interesting!

Thanks Adscrim, I did wonder whether "pancake flat" was a realistic assessment for a novice - some peoples pancakes are flatter than others! I've heard about Logierait and that the finish is "lumpy" - as you say, if my legs are feeling it the last part could be interesting!
Lol, I should have said relatively pancake flat, check out the gps link when I've done it, adscrim is right there is a little undulation at the start but tbh I cant remember it, I think he is right its nothing to worry about, you'll probably be caught up in the atmosphere to and not notice it. The thing I remember is the banks of Loch Rannoch which offer a great view and is pancake flat (anybodies pancake ;)). Hopefully you'll see from the profile you also climb the easier side of Schiehallion and as I was saying the nasty wee kick is at Logierait, after a gradual 15mile descent you are suddenly faced with a sharp left turn and a stiff climb around 75miles, after that it generally undulating but nothing really to worry about either. Good Luck!

Fubar

Guru
Lol, I should have said relatively pancake flat, check out the gps link when I've done it, adscrim is right there is a little undulation at the start but tbh I cant remember it, I think he is right its nothing to worry about, you'll probably be caught up in the atmosphere to and not notice it. The thing I remember is the banks of Loch Rannoch which offer a great view and is pancake flat (anybodies pancake ;)). Hopefully you'll see from the profile you also climb the easier side of Schiehallion and as I was saying the nasty wee kick is at Logierait, after a gradual 15mile descent you are suddenly faced with a sharp left turn and a stiff climb around 75miles, after that it generally undulating but nothing really to worry about either. Good Luck!

Thanks for the comments and the link, I'm probably worrying unnecessarily but this ride is on the edge of my capabilities - hopefully not beyond the edge! I'm looking forward to it albeit a bit apprehensive as it's only my second sportive, I doubt I'll be averaging 19 mph either but just looking to finish! Cheers, Mark

fimm

Veteran
The climb the way the Etape does it is up the shorter but steeper side of the Schiehallion climb. I'm not sure that it is easier...

Fubar

Guru
The climb the way the Etape does it is up the shorter but steeper side of the Schiehallion climb. I'm not sure that it is easier...

Okaaaay, that doesn't sound good... Ach well, what's the worst that can happen?!? :unsure: If it's that bad I'll walk it and they can broom me up if they want to - you're supposed to enjoy these things. right??

Nebulous

Guru
I received an email, headed something like 3 weeks to go.

Heres a link to the online version.

When you click on the start times it just downloads a spreadsheet, so you need excel installed (or something compatible)

Top Bottom