Etape Caledonia 2012 (etape virgin)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
I might possibly be prejudiced against the climb in the etape direction - I have not done the Etape, but I have done Aberfeldy Middle Distance tri - you swim in Loch Tay, then cycle over the Schiehallion climb, round Loch Rannoch, back over the Schiehallion climb, and down to Aberfeldy for the run. So by the time I got to the return over Schiehallion I might have lost my sense of humour somewhat...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
There are a few water/food stops, one of which is at the bottom of Schiehallion.

My tip: DON'T STOP to fill your waterbottle/s here :eek:

My Reason; Why do you want to tackle the steepest part of the ride with the maximum weight on your bike ? ;)

The Method: IIRC, there is a stop at Kinlochrannoch; fill up your bottles there.
I went charging past this, planning on stopping at the base of Schiehallion, which I did and topped up my 2 bottles. It was only as I grimped my way up the steepest part of the whole route that I thought to myself "why did you just stop and fill up all your bottles ?:unsure: They are only adding weight !" :crazy:

There is another water/fuel stop at the top of the climb, so you'll not go without ! :thumbsup:

Fubar

Guru
There are a few water/food stops, one of which is at the bottom of Schiehallion.

My tip: DON'T STOP to fill your waterbottle/s here :eek:

My Reason; Why do you want to tackle the steepest part of the ride with the maximum weight on your bike ? ;)

The Method: IIRC, there is a stop at Kinlochrannoch; fill up your bottles there.
I went charging past this, planning on stopping at the base of Schiehallion, which I did and topped up my 2 bottles. It was only as I grimped my way up the steepest part of the whole route that I thought to myself "why did you just stop and fill up all your bottles ?:unsure: They are only adding weight !" :crazy:

There is another water/fuel stop at the top of the climb, so you'll not go without ! :thumbsup:

Cheers David, good tips - if I make it to the top of Scheihallion I'll be a happy man!

Angus444

I did the route last Thursday, and had a headwind in every direction, and at every turn. Just one of those days when the wind changed every 10 minutes.......From Pitlochry to KR, I think I was passed by all of 6 vehicles, 2 of which were roads maintenance lorries. After Tummel Bridge, the surface is a bit patchy, but the guys were out in numbers and one I spoke to at the temp traffic lights said it would be all done and dusted for the big day... On the descent from Schiehallion to Coshieville, there is a fair bit of construction traffic, and the roads had a lot of mud on them...

Theo biggest problem I had last year and 2010, was the first 6 miles from Pitlochry to Queen's View, which is up-and-down, and crowded with folk jockeying to get past...I think a lot of people, me included, take a few miles to get used to the fact that it's a closed-roads event, and it's ok to be on the 'wrong' side...

I'm maybe biased, as I live relatively close, and I ride the roads regularly, but I think it's a great day, and you always get some good craic before, during, and after.....

Hope everyone has a good day....look out for that sharp left at Logierait....

zizou

Veteran
I did the route last Thursday, and had a headwind in every direction, and at every turn. Just one of those days when the wind changed every 10 minutes.......From Pitlochry to KR, I think I was passed by all of 6 vehicles, 2 of which were roads maintenance lorries. After Tummel Bridge, the surface is a bit patchy, but the guys were out in numbers and one I spoke to at the temp traffic lights said it would be all done and dusted for the big day... On the descent from Schiehallion to Coshieville, there is a fair bit of construction traffic, and the roads had a lot of mud on them...

I think last year there was as street sweeper sent round the course the day before hopefully the same again, if there is mud on the descent from Schiehallion that is going to be a big safety problem!

just jim

Long range forecast could be for rain on the day - but what do they know? I would be very careful on that descent in the wet though - 5000 riders in a hurry!

zizou

Veteran
The closer we get the worse the weather is being forecast :sad:

Now showing as heavy rain, strong south westerly at 21mph gusting to 40mph. The tailwind after Schiehallion should be good but that could be pretty tough for the first 40 miles or so. However with the closed roads maybe a chance to try some echelon riding which isnt normally possible to do safely in normal circumstances.

Fubar

Guru
The closer we get the worse the weather is being forecast :sad:

Now showing as heavy rain, strong south westerly at 21mph gusting to 40mph. The tailwind after Schiehallion should be good but that could be pretty tough for the first 40 miles or so. However with the closed roads maybe a chance to try some echelon riding which isnt normally possible to do safely in normal circumstances.

Oh joy!!

Nebulous

Guru
I'm an eternal optimist and it's going to be better weather than that. Saturday looks pretty good, all we need to do is push the weather back 18 hours or so.

Angus444

Just picked up my bike from the shop today....shifters fixed, cassette checked, chain de-greased......roll on Sunday!!!!!! :smile:

OP
OP
c4rver

c4rver

Regular
The forecast looks absolutely rubbish - I'm seriously not interested in 100% wet weather event - anyone want a half-price entry ??

Forecast is for 'seasonable' darkest Perthshire conditions, so time to man up and give it a good dose of rule 5. I am glad I was out getting some miles in all winter, should make it an average day oot.

Top Bottom