Etape Caledonia 2012 (etape virgin)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Actually it's improving over what they offered us earlier in the week, see my previous post about being an optimist. It looks as though there is some chance of finishing before the rain starts.

Excellent, up to 7 C and only 25mph breezes, and rain instead of sleet. Beauty eh.

Windy WIlson the weather guru in Auchterarder says "horrendous". Well, that all depends on your definition I suppose. I may wear long sleeves myself.

beastie

Guru
Well it was EPIC weather. Strong winds, torrential rain and not very warm. Lovely route if the weather's nice. I will be back next year. Well done to every one !

edindave

Über Member
Well the sun was out for at least 30 secs at one point that I remember, maybe around 12:30. What more do you expect in Scotland? :thumbsup:

Quite reasonable as far as Kinloch Rannoch, then a bit breezy and wet, okay after Br of Gaur and then that wind tunnel from Coshieville to to just past Fortingall, otherwise quite fine. Honest.
In fact, I am sure I saw a couple of surfers on Loch Rannoch at one point, catching some tubes.

zizou

Veteran
Aye the wind added an extra challenge - had to pedal down schiehallion just to keep going forward! The stretch after the right turn to fortingall after the descent i found to be very difficult, there were only 2 of us as everyone else seemed to have disappeared both in front and behind! Straight into the headwind and had to take big turns on the front really hard going.

Have to say i was initially a bit disappointed on crossing the line with not breaking 4 hours which was my big goal for the event but thinking about it a few hours afterwards i improved on last year and i've got to be pleased with managing over 20mph average, first time i've ever broken that barrier for a long ride.

My kotm time was similar to last year (aka mediocre, i think i'll need to lose weight and get serious with my diet before i can make significant mprovements there...said the same thing last year and nothing changed lol) but really pleased with my sprint made it into the top 20 which was a big surprise!

zizou

Veteran
Btw there is a cycle club with a top the exact same colours to the cyclechat one with an almost identical logo..i went up to the guy wearing it and said i am zizou who are you...felt a right idiot!

well done zizou, I aimed for sub 5hr, which I did, and sub 10' on the kotm, which I also managed. The sprint bit was right into the wind so I didnae bother too much there.

edindave

Über Member
Btw there is a cycle club with a top the exact same colours to the cyclechat one with an almost identical logo..i went up to the guy wearing it and said i am zizou who are you...felt a right idiot!

I think it might have been Leslie bike shop jerseys? I thought the same thing a few times!

Great ride by the way, well done!

Top Bottom