Etape Caledonia - Oh well, nice idea while it lasted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TechMech

I've just got my emailed link the PDF info pack for the Etape Caledonia, and I'm gutted :smile:

The race starts are between 07:00 and 07:44 and the latest the last road stays closed until is 14:15.

You MUST adhere to the 14mph average speed or face the option of either a) being picked up by the broom wagon and taken back to the start/finish, or :biggrin: hand over your race number and timing chip and complete the course on open roads.

Medals will only be given to those that finish in the allotted time of 5.5 hours :biggrin:

Tbh I'm totally gutted at this, as once you hand over the chip and number that's it basically. I knew I might/most likely face the possibility of completing the course on open roads, but the fact you then get nothing for it at the end is just totally demoralising to say the least.

On the 7th March I did a 52 mile ride (reliability trial) and took 4hrs averaging 13.1mph. This is not going to be good enough is it!! And there's only 7 weeks left to go before the event, and the weather has turned to sh!t again :tongue: Oh I'm hacked off........

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom to cheer me up?

(and don't say "just pedal faster" as that's a given)

Noodley

TechMech said:
Anyone got any pearls of wisdom to cheer me up?

Tuck yourself behind me and hope I make it in 5.5 hours....

scook94

Veteran
Get yourself in a group and that time shouldn't be a problem surely? Is there not a bike club in Perth you can plug into? Get some experience of group riding and with any luck there'll be some people at the same level who you can team up with.

(I was out in a small group (4 of us) on Saturday morning, admittedly only over 35 miles, but including my ride to the meet point and then home I averaged 15.8mph. I wouldn't have done that on my own)

just jim

TechMech said:
You MUST adhere to the 14mph average speed or face the option of either a) being picked up by the broom wagon and taken back to the start/finish, or :tongue: hand over your race number and timing chip and complete the course on open roads.

Ummm..(gently sets down packet of crisps and cider bottle)

adscrim

Veteran
Just make sure you're not last on the road. The broom wagon only needs to stop a handful of times and before you know it they'll be an hour behind the closed road schedule.

Worst case, that being a 7:44 start, you have six and a half hours to get back on closed roads which is a 12.5 ish mph. I can't see how they will withhold medals from those who finish on closed roads.

OP
OP
T

TechMech

Coco said:
When you see the broom wagon approaching, throw some tacks behind you...
:ohmy:

That's a damn good idea, as apparently you can get away with this kind of thing.....:laugh:

From their Web site Tech
The event on 16th May 2010 is open to individuals between the ages of 18 and 80. To ensure that the roads are reopened to the schedule agreed with the authorities, participants will need to maintain an average speed of 13-14mph around the course. This gives at least 6h 15mins to reach the finishing line within the closure window. Even if you are unable to meet this average you can continue on open roads and complete the full circuit.

OP
OP
T

TechMech

scook94 said:
Get yourself in a group and that time shouldn't be a problem surely? Is there not a bike club in Perth you can plug into? Get some experience of group riding and with any luck there'll be some people at the same level who you can team up with.

(I was out in a small group (4 of us) on Saturday morning, admittedly only over 35 miles, but including my ride to the meet point and then home I averaged 15.8mph. I wouldn't have done that on my own)

I've joined the Kinross Cycling Club as the Perth United folks are way to quick for me and they don't cater for the sub 20mph rider.

KCC have a second group which aims to do 12-15mph on average, but usually this is a bit faster and I've been struggling to keep up.

However, I must say that I've been riding with a sore left knee, which seemed to happen at the start of Dec when I tried some running and it had never went away. The Doc diagnosed this recently as tendonitis below the knee cap and is now on the mend, although when out on the bike just now it feels like I've no power in that leg.

With 50 ish miles the longest I've done ever, I really want to do a 100km ride before the event and see how I fare. It's true if I get in a pack the tow will help me along, but if I get dropped (a regular occurrence for me) then I'm going to be in the danger zone.

Maybe if I can get out two nights a week and at the weekend and get the strength back in my left leg and lose a few pounds between now and the Etape I might just be able to do it.....

So here's a question for training purposes, do I get longer miles in and aim for as good an average as possible, or do shorter say 10 mile TT style runs giving everything I've got and the longer miles will take care of themselves, or a bit of both?

TechMech said:
So here's a question for training purposes, do I get longer miles in and aim for as good an average as possible, or do shorter say 10 mile TT style runs giving everything I've got and the longer miles will take care of themselves, or a bit of both?
I've found it best to do longer distances, the speed will come. I've been out with plenty of folk who manage our short, fast club run but really struggle for stanima when we go beyond the 43 miles.

OP
OP
T

TechMech

HLaB said:
From their Web site Tech
The event on 16th May 2010 is open to individuals between the ages of 18 and 80. To ensure that the roads are reopened to the schedule agreed with the authorities, participants will need to maintain an average speed of 13-14mph around the course. This gives at least 6h 15mins to reach the finishing line within the closure window. Even if you are unable to meet this average you can continue on open roads and complete the full circuit.

But that's different to what's in the event info guide see here Look at section SWEEP VEHICLE, last paragraph under RESULTS, times on map say last road is only closed to 14:15 (i.e. 5h 30m after last starters), plus 5th last bullet point on the page EVENT REGULATIONS

Maybe it's worth me giving them a call as they are putting out conflicting information.

OP
OP
T

TechMech

HLaB said:
From their Web site Tech

I've just found that myself on their site and just realised it's a lie!!!

The first starters will be away at 07:00 and as the last road is closed until 14:15, there's your 6h 15m....

....However, they state that faster riders will be the first ones to be let away, and with 5000 riders and at least 5/6 categories of riders (based on the time gap groups when you registered), I won't be starting at 07:00 to give me the full time they say above, more like 07:30 ish maybe?

Top Bottom