Etape Caledonia - Oh well, nice idea while it lasted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

TechMech

aJohnson said:
I'd first make sure you have the distance, so you can comfortably do it, then work on increasing the speed. Do you have a turbo trainer?

No unfortunately not :sad:

It is a bit contradictory but you'll be fine whatever, you'd be suprised the motivation a group gives.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
TechMech said:
However, I must say that I've been riding with a sore left knee, which seemed to happen at the start of Dec when I tried some running and it had never went away. The Doc diagnosed this recently as tendonitis below the knee cap and is now on the mend, although when out on the bike just now it feels like I've no power in that leg.

You don't suppose your body is trying to tell you something, do you?

I'm preparing for a long tour in June, and am currently off the bike at my personal trainer's orders in order to rest, because I've injured myself a couple of times while riding with a poor bike setup.

It works. The main target is weeks away. It doesn't matter if you can't do the same thing four weeks beforehand - you don't have to. You only have to produce that performance once, on one specified day.

adscrim

Veteran
TechMech said:
I've just found that myself on their site and just realised it's a lie!!!

The first starters will be away at 07:00 and as the last road is closed until 14:15, there's your 6h 15m....

....However, they state that faster riders will be the first ones to be let away, and with 5000 riders and at least 5/6 categories of riders (based on the time gap groups when you registered), I won't be starting at 07:00 to give me the full time they say above, more like 07:30 ish maybe?

0700 to 1415 is seven and a quarter hours. 0744 to 1415 is six and a half.

ACS

Legendary Member
TechMech said:
I've joined the Kinross Cycling Club as the Perth United folks are way to quick for me and they don't cater for the sub 20mph rider.

TM This group is also local to you. Met them by accident a couple of Sundays ago. Rode a long with them before they turned fro lunch in a local pub. Very welcoming and trundled along at a fair but stready pace. Mix group, mix abilities, good mix of machines.

Kinross Cycling Club worth joining? I have a couple around me but they give the impression of being out and out road clubs and I am looking for a club that is a little more 'inclusive'

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Despair not TM ! You'll be fine :laugh:

It is amazing how much further and faster you can and do go on The Day of The Event.:evil: The whole buzz will get you through so many miles, you'll be at Schiehallion before you know it ... and overtaking Noodley and I :blush:

OP
OP
T

TechMech

satans budgie said:
Kinross Cycling Club worth joining? I have a couple around me but they give the impression of being out and out road clubs and I am looking for a club that is a little more 'inclusive'

I suppose they are a road club really, however, they have two groups setup one for riders 16mph average and one for the 12-15mph folks which I'm in. This year they are running two hill climb comps and three TT runs round Loch Leven, and they're organising the Doc Roddy 8 for the end of April, which will be a killer see here

When you say more inclusive, what do you mean? Open to doing audax's etc? Certainly one of the members is a keen mountain biker and is arranging a few meets for this type of thing. As they have only been going for a year and a bit, I would presume that anything would be possible at the moment, it just needs someone to suggest it I guess.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
What the problem Tech? You stopped walking up hills a long time ago, you can do it, course you can!

gavintc

Guru
The course is pretty flat with one decent hill. Get on a wheel of someone a tad quicker and you will have no problems increasing your average speed. Be confident and just enjoy the ride. I would be surprised if the 'open' road is an issue for you and I would doubt if you will see broom wagon.

ACS

Legendary Member
TechMech said:
I suppose they are a road club really, however, they have two groups setup one for riders 16mph average and one for the 12-15mph folks which I'm in. This year they are running two hill climb comps and three TT runs round Loch Leven, and they're organising the Doc Roddy 8 for the end of April, which will be a killer see here

When you say more inclusive, what do you mean? Open to doing audax's etc? Certainly one of the members is a keen mountain biker and is arranging a few meets for this type of thing. As they have only been going for a year and a bit, I would presume that anything would be possible at the moment, it just needs someone to suggest it I guess.

Difficult to quantify really, its certainly not about Audax riding as this type of activity falls under a national organisation and in my case nearly always a solo effort :blush:

I would like to be recognised for the very, very small contribution I make to the sport not my last 10m TT time or the cost of my gear. I know there are many excellent clubs in the UK its just I have not be fortunate to find one I think I would be comfortable in. Hence my question, I would like to mention that in a previous life I have been a member of Clubs in Wales and England but then I was 11 stone, mid 20's and could put up a resaonable 10 + 25 mile TT time.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
For those who want to make a bit more of having to go up to Pitlochry to register on Friday/Saturday, you might want to visit The Highland Chocolatier

It's in Grandtully south westish of Pitlochry - lets face it we'll be burning plenty calories on the big day so surely a treat/extra incentive is deserved ;)

eck

Über Member
kfinlay said:
For those who want to make a bit more of having to go up to Pitlochry to register on Friday/Saturday, you might want to visit The Highland Chocolatier

It's in Grandtully south westish of Pitlochry - lets face it we'll be burning plenty calories on the big day so surely a treat/extra incentive is deserved :thumbsup:
:thumbsup::stop:
Far be it from me to discourage anyone from buying chocolate - Noodley will attest that I consume more than my fair share of the stuff.

However......you may not be aware that, last year, The Highland Chocolatier had a poster on his shop door protesting about the Etape and the "detrimental effect" it was having on local businesses.

Mrs eck and I walked away. :thumbsup:

lazyfatgit

TM, you'll be fine.

I did my first sportive ever here in baking heat (bad sunburn under helmet) with a headwind for at least 20km. I rode with a group until the first stop where i had a long wait for a couple of pals. I ended up doing the last 48km solo but still posted a time I was chuffed with. My original aim was just to finish.

I'm sure you'll have fun.

Top Bottom