Etape Caledonia Sabotaged

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossh

gadgetmind said:
These tweaks would greatly reduce the negative social and economic impact of the event but wouldn't affect the enjoyment or fund raising aspects.

Have to disagree. The chance of a car coming the opposite way would have reduced my enjoyment of the event. Sure, it would still have been a good day out but I would have to have ridden in a totally different way, sticking to the left and anticipating a car around every blind corner. You could argue that this is how we should have to ride but it doesn't change he fact that it's less enjoyable ...

gillan

"These tweaks would greatly reduce the negative social and economic impact of the event but wouldn't affect the enjoyment or fund raising aspects."

gadgetmind

there is a huge net economic gain to the area. Are you suggesting otherwise?What business are on the route and how much business do they do in that short 4-5 hour window on a May sunday morning?? must be pretty impressive:smile:

indeed so impressive to equal the probable £1m impact of this years event that with the income they must generate at other times of the year they should surely be moored off St Tropez, lunching with Berlusconi and having dinner with Abramovich

christ, pulling in those sorts of figures you would think they would need the holiday?

ahh.....you mean a small economic loss to a few individuals which the Council have balanced against the far greater economic gain to the many....

would be a shame if the needs of so few were to impact on the well being of so many

social loss? would that be not being able to get to Church one sunday morning once a year....truelly tragic I grant you, but nothing an evening service couldn't sort out....besides, God isn't true:smile:

what about the social gain that another version of God seems to advocate on the Western Isles where nothing moves on a sunday?

come back when you're less confused...its an open and shut case:smile:

LeeW

If the roads were not closed, I would not have bothered going, and IHMO a good proportion of the other riders would not have bothered either.

gadgetmind

Well, looks like I'm in a minority with my view that this event could be better organised so as to avoid alientating the locals, so I guess I'd better just shut up!

But I do think that this kind of thing really does promote the idea that roads aren't for sharing, and that they are somehow to dangerous to be cycled on, both of which are completely contrary to what myself, many commuter cyclists and the CTC believe is the message that should be promoted.

Ian

gadgetmind

Noodley said:
The few cannot seem to get their head around the need for the roads to be closed for this event to be a success; as it would appear you can't. The USP of this event is closed roads. No closed roads = it's just not going to happen. So anti-closed roads = anti-event.

It isn't a case of not being able to get my head around it, it's more than I can see both sides of the argument. Or at least I can up until the point that someone insists that it's essential that the roads be closed. Not only isn't it essential but it's being counter-productive. This event's so called USP is damaging its reputation and souring cyclist/local relationships.

I really do think that people should be prepared to go back to the drawing board on this one, decide what the goals are, and come up with a format that satisfies those goals and presents a reasonable compromise between those riding and those living in the area.

In the case of the current event, the tail seems to have wagged the dog and "The Roads Must Be Closed" seems to have been the underlying and unchangeable mantra.

Ian

Noodley

gadgetmind said:
Well, looks like I'm in a minority with my view that this event could be better organised so as to avoid alientating the locals, so I guess I'd better just shut up!

But I do think that this kind of thing really does promote the idea that roads aren't for sharing, and that they are somehow to dangerous to be cycled on, both of which are completely contrary to what myself, many commuter cyclists and the CTC believe is the message that should be promoted.

Ian

Roads are for sharing, but no necessarily all the time. A bit like ice-cream :biggrin: Roads are fine for sharing when commuting, etc. But in this case it is a sportive event with a USP of closed roads. I cycle the same roads during audax events a few time every year and there is no need to close the roads due to the number of people involved (40 or so). But 3500 cyclists on country roads in a sportive is another matter all together. Not all cycling is the same. Not all roads are the same.

This event is not alienating "the locals". It has annoyed a very small number of people who live locally. I recall seeing a protest outside a council meeting and there were 5 protesters. And I think one of them just happened to be walking past at the time the photo was taken...there is no huge anti-event movement, just a small number of people who do not like not getting their own way.

MichaelM

Guru
gillan said:
indeed so impressive to equal the probable £1m impact of this years event...

You'll have to excuse my affliction, but the first thing that springs to mind when I see figures like this being quoted is that for 3000 riders, that's around £333 per rider going into the local economy (that doesn't include the cost of getting there or the entrance fee).

Maybe you're right and I'm just being a tight arse but it seems a bit steep to me.

(nothing to do with closed/open roads I know -I'm all for closing the roads myself.)

MichaelM

Guru
Noodley said:
So was the man with the tacks! :rolleyes:

Nice one :biggrin:

adscrim

Veteran
MichaelM said:
You'll have to excuse my affliction, but the first thing that springs to mind when I see figures like this being quoted is that for 3000 riders, that's around £333 per rider going into the local economy

£1m may be a little on the high side but should still be fairly close to the mark. You need to remember that a large number of those taking part will have brought spectators with them and those spectators will pay for accomodation and meals for pretty much the whole weekend. I'm from Perth and a group of friends and family decided to come and see the finish/soak up the atmosphere. They spent easily £200 having lunch and mooching around the shops. We then all went to eat together in Dunkeld. That with the £50 I spent in escape route on the Saturday and I've reached the £300 mark without even staying in Pitlochry.

rossh

MichaelM said:
You'll have to excuse my affliction, but the first thing that springs to mind when I see figures like this being quoted is that for 3000 riders, that's around £333 per rider going into the local economy (that doesn't include the cost of getting there or the entrance fee).

Maybe you're right and I'm just being a tight arse but it seems a bit steep to me.

(nothing to do with closed/open roads I know -I'm all for closing the roads myself.)

Hmm, I can get to about £500 quite quickly for myself and one spectator:

Aberfeldy accommondation £220
Aberfeldy 2 x evening meals £120
Pitlochry 2 x lunches £40
Watermill Bookshop Aberfeldy £15
Escape Route Pitlochry £25
Coop Aberfeldy £25
L*****s of G*******y £25

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
gadgetmind said:
I don't live there, and have no intention of taking part, so I don't really have any great reason to pick "one side" or another. I just wish that the organisers would consider being a wee bit more understanding and flexible as there wouldn't really then be sides to pick.

Ian
With due respect, I think that you are lacking any knowledge of the local area. I have holidayed in Pitlochry more times than I can count, have driven, cycled or walked all of the Etape roads many times over.

- fabulous, quiet, peaceful area, with wonderful picnic spots right beside the lochs. Absolutely.
- 'single track road with passing places' (the sign at the roadside) ? Everywhere
- fast driving roads, where overtaking is easy ? NOT AT ALL

Quite simply put (and the point made by many others), this event can not be held in its present (sportive, timed) form unless the roads are closed. It would not be safe for the cyclists - NOR FOR THE LOCAL PEOPLE, who are probably unaware just how fast a modern bike, with fit rider, can go.

As I have said in previous posts:
- the root of this is 2 or 3 local communities not getting on with each other
- the 'value to the local community' figure is nearer £440,000, not £1M
- the number of protestors is very low, in relation to the population

It's not really about 'cylists' rights' or 'closed roads' - it's about democracy and lawful protest. The protestors claim that their voice is never listened to. Ring any bells, people of Britain ??? :ohmy:

gadgetmind

scoosh said:
this event can not be held in its present (sportive, timed) form unless the roads are closed.

I guess that's what happens when you choose the wrong format and then try and force the local environment and community to fit. Square pegs in round holes, etc.

Some flexibility regards format could keep everyone happy. But I doubt it will happen. :-(

Ian

Top Bottom